The Pursuit of Mythical Gains

4-17-2018

C3W1D2 - SQ
BWX10, 45X5, 95X5, 135X3, 155X5, 185X5, 200X10, 120X3X10
BPA’S in between
Chin ups, 3x2

I started cramping up so I skipped the fourth set of BBB.

Big news is the chin ups. I haven’t even tried one in ten years or more. I used to do them assisted a few years ago, but just felt like I never had the body type to be able to get even one, was never able to since I was maybe ten years old, so I was pretty pumped to be able to get three twice. The power rack has a chin up bar and for some reason I figured why not. Planning on making these a goal now, going to try to get to ten for three sets.

3 Likes

Best way to improve pull-ups I found was to do sets of two between warm-ups for something. After four weeks, do sets of three. After four more weeks, sets of four, etc

Thanks! I’m going to be digging in to this some more. I expect I will have some good LP results based on being completely new to doing them so maybe not four weeks in between, but we’ll see.

I’ve never been clear on the difference between chin ups and pull ups, or the best hand orientation - palms pronated or supinated. I believe pronated are pull ups, supinated are chin ups.

See the theme I am developing? The Myth is ignorant.

2 Likes

Chin ups are supinated/underhand grip. Pull ups are pronated/overhand. Neutral grip - - I just refer to them as neutral grip pull ups.

1 Like

Walked out of my gym today and your icon was on the window of a car in the lot, felt like you were stalking me.

2 Likes

Nice! With the rise of Instagram and internet companies I’ve seen a lot more pro police stuff. There are several companies that sell workout clothes, shaker bottles, bags, and stickers.

The Thin Blue Line Punisher skull is a favorite. I see it as tattoos too. Just feel relieved that there’s a sheep dog nearby whenever you see it. :blush:

2 Likes

4-19-2018

C3W1D3 - BP
45X10, 75X5, 95X3, 115X5, 135X5, 150X15, 115X4X10
Rows 50x8x4, Curls 20x8x4, TPD’s 60x12x4, Face Pulls 60x12x4, Shrugs 55x12x4

Not sure about PR’s as all my old files are on the computer back at the house, but I think the 150x15 is a PR - it’s one more than I got last time I repped 150.

I screwed up on the BBB assistance set - did at FSL weight rather than 50%. It was challenging, but I think it’s an indication, along with the AMRAP, that my TM on bench is too low. I’m going to bump it by ten next cycle.

3 Likes

No, it isn’t. It’s where it should be.

2 Likes

Lol, I knew you were going to say that. I had it in the back of my head, start low, go slow, hit PR’s.

1 Like

Remember, the numbers don’t matter. What matters is that you accumulate fatigue, recover and repeat.

1 Like

That’s crazy talk bro!

I’m just in a big ass hurry to get to two plates on the bench, but you sense do make Yoda.

1 Like

4-19-2018

One hour Vinyasa yoga - RPE 25

1 Like

Yup your TM is just in check.
You get a PR on the bench, that’s an indication that you are in the sweet spot.
In week 3 I bet you won’t be getting 15 reps :slight_smile:
We will get 2 plates on the bar before the year is over.

2 Likes

“Size matters not”

'lies"

1 Like

Honestly, I’m looking to get two for a 1RM by the end of this cycle, in my 531 week, which is in two weeks.

Based on the Epley formula, my 150x15 eqauls a calculated 1RM of 225, and I got a single at 210 pretty easily last week. I know the 15 reps makes it a dicey projection, but am hoping my AMRAP sets continue to trend the 1RM calculation upwards.

I’m more worried about the three plate squat. For some reason, that seems way more challenging.

Think I’m going to have to suck it up and ask someone to spot.

Where are you at with respect to two plates and such. Guess I should check your log, lol. Off to do that now.

2 Likes

Agree about the three plate squat. Picking 4 plates off the floor is not as “heavy” in my mind because it won’t crush me. Having 315 squish me like a fat man on a kid wrestling match is not how I want to go out. Can’t wait to see that video man! Crush it!

1 Like

This isn’t really a goal because I just have a problem with DL. I think it’s personal. I’m going to add in some DL’s but be really strict with form, more of assistance than a main lift. My form just sucks and I’ve hurt myself twice with them.

I figure if I can get a three plate squat, am doing heavy rows, it will all be good.

It’s weird because 185 feels heavy AF and difficult, but 200, 210, 225 all feel comforting to me. When I was doing Jokers, 245 and 265, and 270 felt very solid, yet 185 for five seems heavy AF.

Goal is really to get to three plates for a double, maybe as a TM. I kind of figure being able to do 1,2,3 for reps as an old man is good.

You on the other hand, based on your youth and size, should be thinking 2,3,4, and 5!

4 Likes

Slow down, you should.

In all seriousness, build up your rep PRs. Forget maxes. Hit your 1/2/3 for triples when you KNOW you’ll get them, not when you hope like hell you might just get a single out.

2 Likes

2,3,4,5 is the goal. I hope to be very close to that by Aug this year and for sure by December.

185 does me the same way on everything. Squats, bench… I don’t know if it is mental or what but 205 feels easier to bench than 185.