The Pursuit of Mythical Gains

YOU MOVED OUT?!? I’ve missed a lot I guess. Dang I need to catch up! Looks like you are in beast mode with the workouts too.

1 Like

Yes, moved out in July for the most part - spent the Summer in an RV on the West Coast, rented an apartment in September when I got back. Rough times, all for the best in the long run.

2-9-2018
C1W3D1 - BP
45x10, 95x5, 115x5, 130x5, 150x5. 115x5x3
Kroc Rows in between, 4x12
Hammer Strength incline bench 4x12

Think I got confused on where I am in the cycle so just figured I would start Week Three with BP. Will squat tomorrow, OHP on Sunday, start Cycle 2 next week.

I’m in and out in less than 45 minutes so I am not expecting much in the way of results but am just going to take it easy until I get reacclimated. All over the place right now, hopefully I’ll settle down.

4 Likes

2-10-2018
C1W3D2 - SQ
BWX10, 45X5, 95X5, 135X3, 160X5, 180X5, 200X5, 160X5X3
BPA’S 5x25, Curls 4x8, Crunches 4x30 between sets, then shrugs 4x12 between sets.

Took me almost an hour, SF!

@MarkKO, and others, need a little planning help. Leaving for AZ on Friday, probably won’t get to the gym while I am there. I should finish this cycle on Monday and am not sure what to do in the meantime - planning a deload week in AZ, even though I don’t need one. Here are my options:

1. Repeat week three of cycle 1, then deload in AZ.
  2. Start cycle 2, take a week off, repeat week one of cycle 2 when I get back.
  3. Same as #2 but pick up week two when I get back.
  4. Just add five and ten pounds to my week three lifts for an added week of cycle 1.

Thoughts?

It’s time for a TM test week.
Work up to a TM for reps, leaving 1 in the tank. Nice to know if you are on track.
No back off sets or just a single set.
Push assistance a bit.

2 Likes

Either option four or what @mortdk suggested.

1 Like

I like @mortdk’s suggestion. I also like the idea of having an unplanned week in the gym. Just go in and wing it and have fun.

1 Like

The cognoscenti has spoken.

Greatly appreciate it.

I’ve done some Google Fu on TM testing and the results are meh. I figured I would start at ten pounds over my current TM and do sets for reps, adding weight if bar speed was good, but this seems wrong to me.

The other option is to work up to heavy singles until bar speed slows, and take 85% of that for my TM.

I realize this is probably a basic question, but didn’t find much help on the webz.

Suggestions?

Use the TM you had for your last cycle.
Squats you did 200 on the 5/3/1 week so your TM is probably around 210.
So ramp to 210 and rep out. If you get 5 or more you’re TM is good.
Something like 130x5, 150x3, 170x2,190x1, 210 x amrap good strong reps.
And you could do a single back off set and push assistance a bit, now you’re having a deload after this.
If you do the 7th week deload you just work up to a single rep at TM and no back off, but light assistance.

I think my main question with TM testing is, why? What is the purpose of testing your TM? Will it qualitatively change how you train in the next three or more months? What if on the day you test you have a bad day?

I mean, you can get plenty stronger and jacked-er with a low TM if you push the volume and manage your recovery. You’ll be less likely to stall, you’ll be less likely need a reset and less likely to have issues hitting your top sets.

I’m just putting it out there that there is relatively little point in testing your TM other than wanting to see where it’s at on that day.

2 Likes

Testing the TM for the purpose of testing a 1RM gives not much sense i agree with that.
I know my TM was way to high my last cycles.
Had I testet the TM, I would have noticed, and should have dialed it back, but I had kind of a challenge going on.
The idea of the testing is to do at least 5 good strong reps.
If you’re beat up, do not do it. If you’re feeling okay and know it’s just another day in the gym I would say you could do it.
It’s just to verify that the TM is low enough. Not testing as in a max test. Let’s say that you hit 5 reps TM RPE 7 or 8, you could just leave it there knowing you’re on the right track, or go for that PR if you feel good.

2 Likes

2-11-2018
C1W3D1 - OHP
45x5, 65x5, 85x5, 95x5, 105x5, 85x8x3
Lat PD in between some sets, FP’s on others, then TPD’s on their own.

I need to add in some cardio. Maybe tomorrow.

2 Likes

You traveling this week?

I leave Friday for a week.

1 Like

Took an Uber to work, walked five miles home.

Is that cardio?

1 Like

I’d say so

Nice walk man…

Thanks bro. Felt I needed to add in some cardio since I am fucking huge right now. Up to 196 this morning, but according to my Omron, 16.2%.

It’s a far cry from 175 and 12% where I was at the end of the Summer, but, I’m thinking it’s not too bad. Might try to hang around 200 and lift more.

Or not.

3 Likes

You like fine dude. Stay where you are.

You could kind of do the same thing using your week 3 performance on the 1+ set. If you get 5 or more reps then you’re good. If you get 2 then it might be time to reset.

1 Like