The Pursuit of Mythical Gains

11-24-2017

LP2D6
SQ 3x5@195
OHP 3x5@ 105
DL 1x5 @195

BPA’S and crunches between squat sets, lat pull downs between OHP sets, shrugs between DL sets (wu’s), finished with curls and tri extensions.

Happy to get the body weight squat for reps, RPE of 8 or so. Really leaning towards dropping the progression to 5# increments. Part of me is in a hurry to get back to a two plate squat, but part of me wants to be patient. Part of me also thinks I’m a big sissy and should stick with the 10# jumps.

OHP was easier today so I will definitely keep up the 5# increments on that.

1 Like

Go with the five pound jumps. More practice, less strain, more gains.

I just watched the video and the bar is moving pretty good.

It felt harder than it looks, but I’m adverse to pain, so . . .

I still like the idea of five pound jumps because I want to maintain proper form, avoid injury, and prolong the LP.

1 Like

They looked GOOD. Definitely stick to five pounds and keep that bar speed. I reckon you’ll manage to get to 250 pounds or more with your LP based on how the bar moves, IF you stick to the five pound jumps.

Right on.

I have 1.25# plates so I will use those when it starts getting harder, probably around 200#, lol (probably 225-245. but we’ll see). I was at 265 when I stalled last time so my goal is to get past that this time.

Last time I was able to make jumps but I was anxious and tended to bomb the descent. I want to earn the bumps with proper form and not be impatient, so I appreciate the feedback.

1 Like

Your technique is looking really good right now. Keep doing what you’re doing. The five pound progression should work fine for a while. I’m saying that based on the bar speed and technique, which were both really good.

What you might find useful is checking each first and third set on video almost exclusively for bar speed. As long as the third set is about as fast as the first, you’re golden. Don’t worry too much how the third set feels, because to an extent RPE is subjective. If the bar moves as well as the first set in the third set, even if the RPE rating is higher, you know adding five pounds is fine.

1 Like

Yeah, learning that RPE is most effective for advanced lifters so I shy away from using it. I think bar speed is less subjective so solid advice.

As always, thank you!

1 Like

Excellent Beard! That and the neck vein have you looking super grizzled and tough.

2 Likes

Lol, the beard is for No Shave November and is an annual tradition - but, it’s not long for this world. it’s very bothersome.

But, thanks - grizzled and tough is good. It hides my inner sissy.

1 Like

11-26-2017

LP2D7
SQ 3x5 @ 200
BP 3x5 @ 150
DL 1x5 @ 205

All the other regular assistance stuff in between.

I have been waiting 72 hours between workouts but I felt good and I like to lift on Sunday afternoon - keeps me out of Funkytown - so I went knowing the progression was only five pounds on the squat. I wouldn’t say it was easy, but it wasn’t overly taxing. I was tempted to go to 205 but I am glad I was patient.

Going to see how I feel Tuesday, may lift again on 48 hours. My recovery is a lot better than when i started this LP but I’m still old, so, you know, there’s that.

2 Likes

11-28-2017

LP2D8
SQ 3X5@ 205
OHP 3X5@ 105
DL 3X5@ 215

BPA’s and crunches during squats, lat pull downs during OHP, and shrugs during DL - cut out the arm work today. I will be near my globogym tomorrow so I am thinking about doing some arm and chest and weighted abs tomorrow, then waiting until Friday for my next SS workout.Squats moved okay, OHP was better.

Average weight last week remained steady at 191.

1 Like

12-1-2017

LP2D9
SQ 3X5 @ 210
BP 3X5 @ 155
PC 5X3 @ 45

BPA’s and crunches between squats, rows with BP. Lifted fasted and the squats were harder than they should have been. Going to go do some iso pumpy stuff today because I have neglected it the last two days - arms, shoulders, weighted ab work.

1 Like

12-7-2017

LP2D9
SQ 3X5 @ 215
OHP 3X5 @ 110
DL 1X5 @ 225

BPA’S and crunches during warm ups of squats - 5x25 and 5x30

Shrugs during warm ups of DL’s.

Life got in the way, took six days off. Considered resetting but felt good so went ahead with progression.

Weight is steady, but body fat is going up, WTF? Been using the hand held and think the calluses from dead lifting are causing the sensors to read differently.

Why do I care? Mirror looks the same.

1 Like

One of these is not like the others…

1 Like

12-12-2017

NLP2
SQ 3X5 @ 220
BP 3X5 @ 160
PC 5X3 @ 65

BPA’s and crunches during SQ warm ups, rows between BP sets, curl and TPD superset after cleans. SS has added cleans to my work out alternating with dead lifts. Yes, 65# is nothing, but it will get heavy soon enough.

Had some soreness after the last workout so I took an extra day or two.

Speaking of heavy, my squats felt heavy but the bar speed looks pretty good, no?

Sorry about the shitty angle.

Body fat is back to normal, still 190.

2 Likes

Bar speed looks fine. As fast or faster than the 195 lbs.

1 Like

Bar speed looks great. No visible breakdown of form. Great job, keep pushing, man!

1 Like

12-16-2017

NLP2D11
SQ 225X5X3
OHP 110X5X3
DL 235X5

BPA’S and crunches between squats, lateral raises during DL warm ups, lat pull downs during OHP.

Changing the way I notate - those are three sets of five. Very happy to be squatting two plates for sets across again. They felt heavy, bit of a grind on the last two, but going to continue to 240 for the next workout and see how I feel. I have the micro plates, 1.25# each so that will be my next step.

OHP felt good, will continue with 5# progression there, but felt my back rounding on DL so going to drop to #5 on those.

Beginning to feel the call of 5/3/1 but I think it’s just me wimping out now that it’s getting hard. I’m cutting the other assistance/hypertrophy work (curls, tris, shrugs) out on work days but may add in a hypertrophy day between workouts since I am taking 72-96 hours of recovery on the main workouts.

I lost a pound, body fat is steady - 190 @ 15.5%.

3 Likes

This is excellent. I’m enjoying seeing things go well.

1 Like

12-21-2017

NLP2D12
SQ 230X5X3
BP 160X5X3
DL 65X3X5

BPA’S, crunches and vacuums between squats. Kroc rows before BP.

Having a hard time getting to the gym, I think it’s mental. But, something has to give. It took me almost an hour to finish my squats.

The least radical change I am considering is going HLM on squats. But I am also considering switching over to 5/3/1. Going to think on it for a few days.

2 Likes