T Nation

The Pump?

k so gettin good pumps in most body parts biceps tri’s chest quads hams etc etc… but what does it mean? how important is the pump? what are teh benefits to haveing this pump while im working out certain body parts as to not haveing it?

[quote]cihwh wrote:
k so gettin good pumps in most body parts biceps tri’s chest quads hams etc etc… but what does it mean? how important is the pump? what are teh benefits to haveing this pump while im working out certain body parts as to not haveing it?[/quote]

It indicates an increased blood flow into the muscle tissue of that area, but the feeling of “pump” is highly relative, if you lift for some time you get used to it and it isn’t that “special” any more.

It’s not “important” in any way as it doesn’t indicate training success or progress.

There are no “benefits” in it, but if you cannot feel anything in certain bodyparts it could mean that you cannot target that area very good with a certain exercise and you should try another and see if anything changes. (e.g. if you can’t feel your chest muscles during bench press, it could mean that you are an arms-dominant presser and Benching wouldn’t be optimal for your chest development)

i think it is uncomfortable

I think everyone will agree that their best body parts are the ones that get the best pumps. Some food for thought…

[quote]TornadoTommy wrote:
I think everyone will agree that their best body parts are the ones that get the best pumps. Some food for thought…[/quote]

I only get pumps in my chest, shoulders and arms. My legs and low back turn into jelly on lower body days and I stumble around the next few days. Never get upper back pumps either.