The Pump is Holding Me Back. What to Do?

Today I alternated T-bar rows and bench press. The goal was obviously to work some back and some pec/tris. But the pump in the forearms were killing me. It got to the point that it prevented a good bench workout. I.e. I could harldy straighten my arms and had to cut the sets some reps short compared to only doing bench without alternating in t-bar rows.

Will this pass? Will my forearms adapt? How do you handle a pump that’s limiting your workout? Was it a bad idea to begin with to alternate bench press and T-bar rows?

Can you try a wider grip on T-bars?

Use straps?

When I first started working out, everything I did worked my forearms. Lat Pulldowns, curls, Rows, squats (jk). They would become ridiculously tight and painful and it would cut my sets short as well. I just worked through it and eventually they got strong and are no longer the weak link. Now they stand out as one of my best bodyparts.

Also, straps would help.

longer rest periods? or do 3 sets of one exercise then 3 of the other…

Don’t do back with chest. Your chest workouts use your lats and scapula just as much as if you were doing a beck exercise. I think you’re limiting yourself by doing this. I know some people do back and chest(I think Stu does) but you gotta crawl before you can walk. Do something like chest and forearms, or jsut have a whole chest day.

M - Back and Traps
T - Shoulders and Forearms and Abs
W - Legs and Calves
T - CHEST
F - Biceps and Triceps
S - off
S - off

Personally, I know back and chest is a disaster for me. Pick 1 big bodypart and one small bodypart.

Just do another split

How many sets did you do?
Is this the usual amount?
What rep range?
Is this the usual amount?

Thanks all.

I’m doing Wendler’s 5-3-1 and it’s the bench day that I thought I’d speed up a little by alternating in the back work. I’m doing the “boring but big” assistance work so all in all it’s 5-7 sets of bench and just as many for back. The forearm pump is new to me since I haven’t alternated excercises like this before. T-bar rows were in the 10-15 rep range. Bench in the 6-10 range. I haven’t done much T-bars before so that might account to something.

Tough it out. Wider grip. Use straps. Longer rest periods. Different split. All good advice! Thanks. I’ll try if it’s equally painful with chins next time.

Strech your forearms, a lot.

Oh, didn’t see that one coming. I’ll look up some stretches. Thanks.

[quote]J.Rex wrote:
Thanks all.

I’m doing Wendler’s 5-3-1 and it’s the bench day that I thought I’d speed up a little by alternating in the back work. I’m doing the “boring but big” assistance work so all in all it’s 5-7 sets of bench and just as many for back. The forearm pump is new to me since I haven’t alternated excercises like this before. T-bar rows were in the 10-15 rep range. Bench in the 6-10 range. I haven’t done much T-bars before so that might account to something.

Tough it out. Wider grip. Use straps. Longer rest periods. Different split. All good advice! Thanks. I’ll try if it’s equally painful with chins next time. [/quote]

Ok, stick to 5/3/1, its great. Do BBB template exactly as written for the first few months. 5/3/1 rep scheme bench THEN 5x10 bench THEN 5x10 dumbell row. In all 5/3/1 templates nothing should hinder the main lift.

I’ve learned an unexpected thing today. Deadlifts work the hip flexors like mad (at least on me). Doing T-bar rows two days after also work the hip flexors. Now they are so messed up that I can’t do the squat workout.

Note to self: stay away from T-bars when deads are involved too.

sorry but how long have you been training? or have you recently ramped up intensity? it sounds like this is too much for your fore arms
work on stretching them when they’re not sore, make sure your electrolytes are all good (sodium & potassium)
and are you taking some vasodilator (eg. NO) thats doing this to you?

[quote]Sarev0k wrote:
Don’t do back with chest. Your chest workouts use your lats and scapula just as much as if you were doing a beck exercise. I think you’re limiting yourself by doing this. I know some people do back and chest(I think Stu does) but you gotta crawl before you can walk. Do something like chest and forearms, or jsut have a whole chest day.

M - Back and Traps
T - Shoulders and Forearms and Abs
W - Legs and Calves
T - CHEST
F - Biceps and Triceps
S - off
S - off

Personally, I know back and chest is a disaster for me. Pick 1 big bodypart and one small bodypart.[/quote]

I’ve always like chest/back – but I alternate around a lot and can not credit my physique to any one training method.

I think heavy upper/lower splits have there place, as does isolation training. Find a balance that works for you, peace.

I don’t use any NO supps.

Yes, I have recently ramped up things. I had a 5 month hiatus a month or two ago. The past three weeks I have been doing 5/3/1. The volume that the 5/3/1 + BBB template prescribes is really kicking my butt. I am enjoying it immensely though! My right hip flexor have been bothering me before and stretching it seems to help a little, but not completely. I’ll take it a little easier in the coming weeks and see if things get better.