The Pulchine Method

Hey everyone, I came across this on the internet when researching various methods of strength training. Here it is…Anyone ever try it, heard about it, anyone think that it could work quite well…I wanna use it towards my squat and deadlift. I’ll break it down in the main points.

This method uses a chart and is based on your personal best in whatever lift you are trying to improve. Coach Pulchine has generously given me permission to reproduce the chart in hopes that it will be useful to as many people as possible.

To use the chart, simply find your personal best for one repetition in the lift you are attempting to improve. Then do five sets in that lift: one set of six reps at a poundage that is 60% of your best, one set of six reps at a poundage that is 80% of your best, one set of two reps at a poundage that is 90% of your best, another set of six reps at 80%, and a final set of eight reps at 70% of your best. Clients I observed were able to increase their strength by following this for a month or less.

There it is!

To sum it up easier, its basically five sets, that goes like this:

1 - 60% x 6
2 - 80% x 6
3 - 90% x 2
4 - 80% x 6
5 - 70% x 8

That gives a total of 28 reps…looks pretty good for strength and hypertrophy. Any thoughts?

[quote]dl- wrote:

1 - 60% x 6
2 - 80% x 6
3 - 90% x 2
4 - 80% x 6
5 - 70% x 8

That gives a total of 28 reps…looks pretty good for strength and hypertrophy. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Looks pretty good, a nice wave-loadng variation.

Yeah, I’m kinda surprised no-one has posted anything else regarding this. Hmmm.

[quote]dl- wrote:

1 - 60% x 6
2 - 80% x 6
3 - 90% x 2
4 - 80% x 6
5 - 70% x 8

That gives a total of 28 reps…looks pretty good for strength and hypertrophy. Any thoughts?[/quote]

Some thoughts:

as far as I can see:

1 - 60% x 6 - sth like a warming-up set
2 - 80% x 6 - 2 reps in the basket
3 - 90% x 2 - 2 reps in the basket
4 - 80% x 6 - 2 reps in the basket
5 - 70% x 8 - 2 reps in the basket

the average intensity is 73,6%

hmm … actually that was the obvious stuff …

so what’s the catch?

Average intensity?..i dont get it lol…it looks like its good for size and strength gains…Im basically just wondering if this is a good thing to do for some size and strength method…maybe something better…i was lookin for some input if anyones got some lol. Thanks

Working up to a heavy set then doing a couple of down sets… nothing new or too exciting.

Personally I’m a fan of downsets so think this would help with strength/size