T Nation

The Proper Way to Bulk

I'm not a very experienced lifter, I trained for a year but really only was educated for 4 months of it. but lately I've been doing alot of research on bulking due to the fact that generally a small guy weighting at 140 pounds and a height at 6ft. I'm aiming to to put on 40 pounds before next football season, i know its a little unrealistic but bare with me. i'm currently at 8% body fat yeah yeah i got that lean look and a nice set of abs but i lack size and strength. personally i don't care about having abs or a lean look right now i care about becoming a bigger and stronger athlete.

off of what iv seen there is dirty bulking and clean bulking on one side of "dirty bulking" I've heard of people people putting on a mass amount of muscle on and a descent amount of fat and then going and cutting the fat and others putting on mass amount of fat and little muscle even though they've been training there asses off, and when they cut they end up with less weight then when they started out with. but with "clean" i see people with similar results to the first scenario but with a much longer processes.

I've always been told to eat as much as you can and train as hard as you can to see results with weight gain, but people usually like to talk even when they don't know what there talking about. so i'm calling on my iron bothering to show the younin the ropes. if you are an experienced lifter who is educated on the subject please en-lighting me and tell me what worked and didn't work for you, for the next month ill just be getting myself back in shape coming back from a mcl tear i was at 150 pounds four months ago but shit happens. the fact its fully healed and i need to start training again and bulking the right way.

i'm guessing i can put put the ten pounds back on in a 2-3 week time my body has jumped up and down like that before. but I've never weighted over 155 and hope to change that, i'm also looking into trying Alpha Male wile bulking but that's a different subject. the point remains if yoi know how to help please leave me a message so i can get a better idea and better educate myself

Relevant to your interests, google “Overcoming the Pressure of a Six-Pack: How I Gained 100 lbs in High School” by Charles Fay on elitefts. It’s a great read.

Read the article mentioned above, and do some searching on this site about diet and beginner lifting programs like Starting Strength. Many people before you have asked the same question and there is a lot of good info here.

Basically you just need to choose a well-designed lifting program, stick with it for a few months (at least), and eat a lot of food. Add calorie-dense foods like milk and peanut butter to your current diet and eat a lot of animal proteins like red meat, chicken, turkey, fish and whole eggs. Personally I wouldn’t worry about getting fat at all until you’re up to around 180, at which point you can pay more attention to the scale and make sure you don’t gain weight too fast.

I think youre definitely in the phase where you should just bulk the fuck up, train heavy and hard and reap all the benefits. you dont need to be exact with your diet, just be consistent every day and eat a fuck load of food. and you dont need a test booster, ive never taken a test booster and i just turned 25 this month.

If you’re eating 3 meals a day, add three more. I find increasing frequency easier than increasing intake.

Side question relevant to discussion: what do you all think is the LOWEST bodyfat percentage you can have while still being able to put on muscle for most people (without roids)? For me it seems to be about 15%. Just curious if anyone else has experienced gains on anything lower. No need to bulk over what you need to. Fat is never attractive.

[quote]Magnetic88 wrote:
If you’re eating 3 meals a day, add three more. I find increasing frequency easier than increasing intake.

Side question relevant to discussion: what do you all think is the LOWEST bodyfat percentage you can have while still being able to put on muscle for most people (without roids)? For me it seems to be about 15%. Just curious if anyone else has experienced gains on anything lower. No need to bulk over what you need to. Fat is never attractive.[/quote]

Did you mean HIGHEST?

I’ve seen a lot of ‘smaller’ guys who were <15%, some probably even <9%, who put on a respectable amount of LBM just following a proper, controlled mass gaining protocol. Most of the prevalent thinking is that higher BF levels are generally not optimal for going on mass gaining programs. There have been several articles on this site recently that have outlined the reasons and methodology quite well. That being said, there are plenty of people who can gain LBM with BF levels >20% too.

[quote]Podlewski wrote:
i’m also looking into trying Alpha Male wile bulking but that’s a different subject.[/quote]

There is no way in hell you should need a T-booster at your age without a very serious medical condition so save your money. The ONLY supplement I would consider worth your while at this point is protein for those days when you just can’t get it from real food.

In terms of training and nutrition, you need to simply lift more and eat more. I’d strongly recommend Mass Made Simple by Dan John as a simple, common sense book that covers both points specifically aimed at someone like yourself who has difficulty adding bulk

[quote]T3hPwnisher wrote:
Relevant to your interests, google “Overcoming the Pressure of a Six-Pack: How I Gained 100 lbs in High School” by Charles Fay on elitefts. It’s a great read.[/quote]

thank you I read the article and thats what was looking for

[quote]Magnetic88 wrote:

Side question relevant to discussion: what do you all think is the LOWEST bodyfat percentage you can have while still being able to put on muscle for most people (without roids)? For me it seems to be about 15%. Just curious if anyone else has experienced gains on anything lower. No need to bulk over what you need to. Fat is never attractive.[/quote]

personally i eat 4 meals a deal with snacks in between and a weight shake in the morning, and wile for adding mass on id say anything above 14% aswell but im no expert

[quote]GrindOverMatter wrote:
I think youre definitely in the phase where you should just bulk the fuck up,

after reading more articles i couldn’t agree more and i decided not to go on any t boosters, thank you for the advice

[quote]craze9 wrote:
Read the article mentioned above, and do some searching on this site about diet and beginner lifting programs like Starting Strength. Many people before you have asked the same question and there is a lot of good info here.

Basically you just need to choose a well-designed lifting program, stick with it for a few months (at least)

i read the article and its exactly what ive been looking for thank you for the advice

[quote]Magnetic88 wrote:

lol. I’ve never been above 15% in my life, and I’ve put on 70 lbs since I started lifting in my 20’s. You absolutely don’t need to carry that much fat to gain muscle.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Magnetic88 wrote:

lol. I’ve never been above 15% in my life, and I’ve put on 70 lbs since I started lifting in my 20’s. You absolutely don’t need to carry that much fat to gain muscle.[/quote]

True true. Up 60-70 lbs in 4-5 yrs never lost site of a 6 pack

I wouldn’t think about the foods you are taking in as “clean” or “dirty” but rather what will help you improve athletic performance.

[quote]flipcollar wrote:

[quote]Magnetic88 wrote:

lol. I’ve never been above 15% in my life, and I’ve put on 70 lbs since I started lifting in my 20’s. You absolutely don’t need to carry that much fat to gain muscle.[/quote]

I somewhat agree with the point you are trying to make about refraining from getting sloppy; however, I do think this is largely genetic, and your 15% might be another’s 20.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
I somewhat agree with the point you are trying to make about refraining from getting sloppy; however, I do think this is largely genetic, and your 15% might be another’s 20.
[/quote]

Also dependent on prior fatness I think.

I can get lean when I eat nothing but meat and vegetables and a bit of carbs (no more than 100g) a day. I get flabby the instant you add in any significant amount of carbs. I could be eating less overall calories with carbs added in and I’d still get flabby.

My guess is that my body is influenced by childhood obesity.