The Problem With the Problem of Evil

I wasn’t challenged here, but I was hoping to get clarification on the point of your post. I thought there was a chance it would be a discussion, but figured out it wouldn’t be much of one. I have nothing new to learn from Calvinism - it’s a known commodity.

True Calvinism is not smug and that’s not it anyway. Please see what I said to the fella above you.

That’s precisely what it is.

Then I stand corrected. If you have a question of any kind, of course I will do my best to answer.

It is indeed Calvinism, yes. The once prevailing view on this continent. Held more or less consistently by the strong majority of those in attendance at the first constitutional convention. We’ve been over this Thunderbolt.

Incorrect then, and incorrect now. As for my views, I share Jefferson’s:

I can never join Calvin in addressing his god… his religion was Dæmonism. If ever man worshipped a false god, he did. The being described in his 5 points is not the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore, the Creator and benevolent governor of the world; but a dæmon of malignant spirit. It would be more pardonable to believe in no god at all, than to blaspheme him by the atrocious attributes of Calvin.

1 Like

Then I strongly suggest you read the Quran.

The similarities to your beliefs will be striking, once you get past the flowery language laden with epithets.

Excellent! Jefferson was a God hating pagan. How appropriate. Tell me about your life in Christ Thunderbolt. What makes you a Christian?

Gotta run for a while. Be back later.

No, he wasn’t.[quote=“Tiribulus, post:28, topic:230512”]
Tell me about your life in Christ Thunderbolt. What makes you a Christian?
[/quote]

Again, uninterested in that aspect of a religious discussion. And, it’s quite irrelevant, if Calvinists actually believe what they say - after all, why the hard evangelism to convert everyone when what the targeted convertee does doesn’t impact whether they make it through the pearly gates or not? Since free will doesn’t exist, why are so many Calvinists trying to convince people to make the choice to believe they way they do?

Unclear to me, but I’m not all that worried about it.

This is why I disagree with Tirib. A real relationship can only be achieved by the choice of 2 parties. No choice, no relationship (instead we would call it involuntary service or some such).

1 Like

Anyone else read Zeb’s “Good to see you posting again” and have the same thought I did?

3 Likes

There you go again.
As has always been the case when it comes to these topics, you haven’t the first flickering clue what you’re talking about. This is from the heart now. Read some reformed theology and gain at least a modicum of working knowledge of the subject matter before continuing. Which you always do, while saying you’re not.

And you know this because________________________________?

You claim Christ too Aragon. (Hi btw) On what authority and basis do YOU define what a relationship with almighty God looks like? Beyond the fact that what you just said is what you like the best please.

I half-did, but Trib’s been around for a long while, and the evidence (to me) points to Trib being his own man and not one of Zeb’s fraudulent personas. Also, the posting styles are quite different - while Trib and I don’t see eye to eye on some issues, the level of depth and detail in his posts reveal (in my view) someone articulate and well-read.

1 Like

I know about predestination and the concept of (lack of) free will just fine - and if you start with the assumption that I’m predestined to go to Heaven (or not), nothing you can do as an evangelist can impact God’s decision to change my destiny. As a result, by your own lights, you’re wasting your time trying to convert people.

Lol, we said the same thing about the dearly departed Mickster.

1 Like

No. You do not.

For the record, I did not know there was such a thing until just now.

Well, that’s decent of you and I appreciate it. Of course I’ve never viewed your powers of intellect, or any deficiency thereof, to be a contributing factor to the head butting we’ve done in our mutual time here.

I just told one of my Facebook friends (whom you don’t know) a couple hours ago : (forgive the voice recognition issues please)

Yep, I do.[quote=“Tiribulus, post:38, topic:230512”]
For the record, I did not know there was such a thing until just now.
[/quote]

Oh, that makes sense given your hiatus. Back in the fall of 2016, we learned that Zeb had been running multiple accounts for nearly a decade (Remember Mick28? That was Zeb.) and even engaging in fake conversations between the phony personas. The primary purpose appeared to be that the Mick28s were used to say things that Zeb didn’t want to (as in, a racially questionable post). It all came to a head, though, because Zeb made an ass of himself and then started logging on again as Mick28 to try and rehabilitate Zeb, only to mistakenly post as one while logged in as the other. He got called out on it, and even got upbraided by the moderator (who went and discovered how long and to what extent the fraud occurred) but was largely unrepentant about the whole episode. Now, whenever we see someone show up who hasn’t been here in a while and Zeb is instantly friendly with, there is an instant concern that that someone is just another one of Zeb’s fraudulent accounts.[quote=“Tiribulus, post:38, topic:230512”]
Well, that’s decent of you and I appreciate it.
[/quote]

Thanks. We have our differences, but I don’t doubt your intelligence or genuine commitment to your beliefs.

This reflects my idea as well. There must be opposition in all things. We could not know light without darkness.