The Price of Meat is Rising

For most of us, our main source of protein is meat. Beef, chicken, turkey, whatever. The cost is about to increase because the price of corn is rising. Corn is rising because of the demand for ethanol.

Perhaps this will lead to healthier, grass-fed meats rather than the high-fat corn-fed stuff.

Grassfed is still somewhat pricey and not everywhere sells it…not to mention Trader Joes seems to run out of it all the time so I have to compromise with the corn fed. Perhaps I should move to Montana and start my own grass fed cow farm. Imagine the beef and raw milk…mmmmmmmmm.

[quote]cactrotman wrote:
Grassfed is still somewhat pricey and not everywhere sells it…not to mention Trader Joes seems to run out of it all the time so I have to compromise with the corn fed. Perhaps I should move to Montana and start my own grass fed cow farm. Imagine the beef and raw milk…mmmmmmmmm.[/quote]

I’m seriously thinking about buying a cow myself, since it would be easier to obtain raw milk that way without getting the government on my ass.

Yup. If you haven’t already noticed egg prices have already increased over the past three months or so. The difference in the time it takes is because eggs are produced by chickens every day so the increase in corn prices are seen more quickly. Whereas the lifespan of cows is much longer so the increase in feed is averaged out a bit more over the long run.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
cactrotman wrote:
Grassfed is still somewhat pricey and not everywhere sells it…not to mention Trader Joes seems to run out of it all the time so I have to compromise with the corn fed. Perhaps I should move to Montana and start my own grass fed cow farm. Imagine the beef and raw milk…mmmmmmmmm.

I’m seriously thinking about buying a cow myself, since it would be easier to obtain raw milk that way without getting the government on my ass.[/quote]

Costco now offers grass fed free range beef.

Also check out eatwild.com or .org can’t remember, but they offer plenty of sources where you can order right from the farmer-a whole side of beef, etc. It’s actually cheaper this way.

thank god for the commissary. It is good to know I get something out of being in the military.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
cactrotman wrote:

I’m seriously thinking about buying a cow myself, since it would be easier to obtain raw milk that way without getting the government on my ass.[/quote]

Plus you can cut off a steak once in a while.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:

I hear that, brother. A farmer up here in Ontario is still trapped in a court battle with the government for providing raw milk to people – in spite of the fact that he did so legally through a very clear loophole in the laws, they raided his farm with a tactical team (I shit you not) and confiscated his equipment.

The provincial government refuses to even look at the issue of raw milk, never mind doing something about it.

But hey, so long as they’re getting a chunk of the proceeds from alcohol and tobacco sales, it’s all good.

[quote]Cthulhu wrote:
cactrotman wrote:

If you buy a cow, you can have milk, or you can have meat. But you can’t have both.

“Grass Fed Beef” is a marketing buzzword. 99.99999999% of all “grass fed/range fed” beef will have a certain amount of grain in their rumen at any given time.