T Nation

The Press Out Rule

Should not be still around. I can see no valid reason for this. In the clean and the jerk it should not be their.

In the snatch maybe but all the pressout rule does in the jerk is cost people on other wise good lifts.

I think i understand the basics of the rules but could you maybe explain the pressout rule further. I can’t find anything called the pressout rule on google.
Thanks.

http://www.iwf.net/doc/Technical&CompRules2009-2012.pdf

“The athlete bends the legs and extends them as well as the arms to bring the
barbell to the full stretch of the arms vertically extended. He or she returns the
feet to the same line; arms and legs fully extended, and waits for the
Referees’ signal to replace the barbell on the platform. The Referees give the
signal to lower the barbell as soon as the lifter becomes motionless in all
parts of the body.”

Causes for disqualification of a lift:

"2.4.4 Pause during the extension of the arms.

2.4.5 Finishing with a press-out.

2.4.6 Bending and extending the elbows during the recovery."

The bar has to be received at arm’s length in the jerk, with locked elbows. The legs, torso, etc. can bend and wobble all they want before the recovery as long as the arms remain locked. So it basically means that the bar has to get overhead in one smooth motion, any pressing using the muscles of the triceps to get to fully extended elbows is a no lift.

I used to feel the same way… that the press out was a stupid rule but after watching and competing I changed my mind. The lifts are meant to be fast and crisp. If pressing out was ok would there be a limit? I have a feeling it would make the lifts much sloppier and the clean and jerk would probably start looking like a hybrid of the old Cl&Press and the jerk.

Not this again…

It wouldn’t be a jerk then.

[quote]Bingbeast wrote:
I used to feel the same way… that the press out was a stupid rule but after watching and competing I changed my mind. The lifts are meant to be fast and crisp. If pressing out was ok would there be a limit? I have a feeling it would make the lifts much sloppier and the clean and jerk would probably start looking like a hybrid of the old Cl&Press and the jerk.[/quote]

Think about some of the jerks you’ve seen and thought that went overhead and little rebend and the lift was lost. Like lu yong in 2008. Also people can jerk much more than their press so i don’t think that it would get that bad.

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
Not this again…[/quote]

I see no thread dealing with this. However steroids are discussed regularly and nothing can be done but a rule than be changed and would affect every lifter is just stupid to talk about? ok.

I agree. It’s not like pressing the weight out makes the lift easier.

There are probably some other rules that can be disregarded such as the three point touch. If an athlete can touch the floor with their arse in the clean then they deserve a medal for that alone, not 3 reds.

Using the oscillation in a bar is another dodgy rule especially because this is probably the most subjective of all the weightlifting technical infringements…

[quote]Weighty1 wrote:
I agree. It’s not like pressing the weight out makes the lift easier.

There are probably some other rules that can be disregarded such as the three point touch. If an athlete can touch the floor with their arse in the clean then they deserve a medal for that alone, not 3 reds.

Using the oscillation in a bar is another dodgy rule especially because this is probably the most subjective of all the weightlifting technical infringements…[/quote]

Actually I dont think I have ever heard of someone being red lighted for that.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]Weighty1 wrote:
I agree. It’s not like pressing the weight out makes the lift easier.

There are probably some other rules that can be disregarded such as the three point touch. If an athlete can touch the floor with their arse in the clean then they deserve a medal for that alone, not 3 reds.

Using the oscillation in a bar is another dodgy rule especially because this is probably the most subjective of all the weightlifting technical infringements…[/quote]

Actually I dont think I have ever heard of someone being red lighted for that.[/quote]

I presume you mean the 3 point rule. One of the guys I use to train with was British middleweight champion 3 times. When he was young he regularly used to walk backwards off the platform waving to people so that the judges couldn’t see the chalk on his arse.

I do recall seeing it on a video a long time ago, but granted it certainly isn’t a regular occurence which I suppose supports getting rid of it as it’s pretty archaic.

[quote]Weighty1 wrote:

There are probably some other rules that can be disregarded such as the three point touch. If an athlete can touch the floor with their arse in the clean then they deserve a medal for that alone, not 3 reds.

[/quote]

ahahaha. i was very tired the other day… was contemplating how my max front squat is the same as my max bench press and how both are stronger than my max jerk / push press. i was thinking (in my very tired state) that there was probably some freaky cool version of a snatch or clean that i could do that involves me landing on my back under it and catching it locked out or benching it up - but then i remembered the three point touch rule…

and i suppose you gotta be standing up to finish - not just have unbent legs. damn i’m a retard, sometimes.

[quote]Swolegasm wrote:

[quote]olylifter106 wrote:
Not this again…[/quote]

I see no thread dealing with this. However steroids are discussed regularly and nothing can be done but a rule than be changed and would affect every lifter is just stupid to talk about? ok.[/quote]

Forgive me, there may not be a thread on THIS board!! However, there are several threads on other boards that argue this ad nauseum. For instance, I’ve just seen sooooo many arguments about the press-out rule ever since I’ve been a lifter that I get a bit tired of hearing about it.

Continue said argument!!

There are 3 reasons they should get rid of the press out rule:

  1. No one can referee it properly in the sense that theres way too much inconsistency. Some lifters get away with it while others dont. Too much inconsistency in refreeing is the also one of the main reasons that they got rid off the press back in 1976.

  2. It makes no sense from an entertainment point of view. Its like annulling a soccer goal because the player used the outside of his foot instead of the inside to get the ball past the goal line. If you want to get the sport out to a broader audience you definetely must take the entertainment factor into account. People simply cant understand that a lift was redlighted when the lifter stood still with the feet in line and the weight over his head in full control(and I dont either for that matter).

  3. Like some guys mentioned in here it will always be easier to jerk the weight with the use of the bigger and more powerful leg muscles than pressing it with the arms.

they should keep the press out rule. If you jerk a weight that is a little too heavy for you, it can stop short of lockout in the jerk and you can press to a finish.

ok you lift more weight that way but it becomes a 2 part jerk. the jerk and then the pressout. you dont allow a 2 part clean such as a continental.

and no, the clean isnt 2 parts just because it has a clean and a squat portion. the squat is recovery from the clean, not a means of completing an overly heavy clean.

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:
they should keep the press out rule. If you jerk a weight that is a little too heavy for you, it can stop short of lockout in the jerk and you can press to a finish.

ok you lift more weight that way but it becomes a 2 part jerk. the jerk and then the pressout. you dont allow a 2 part clean such as a continental.

and no, the clean isnt 2 parts just because it has a clean and a squat portion. the squat is recovery from the clean, not a means of completing an overly heavy clean. [/quote]

In my experience you don’t successfully press out weights that were too heavy for you to jerk. You were either lazy with your technique or your technique was just off in some way, and, because the weight is WITHIN your capabilities, you are able to press it out. It just doesn’t look as smooth or pretty.

If a weight is too heavy for you to jerk, you will most likely receive it short of lockout, be incapable of pressing the bar to fully extended arms, and be forced to dump it.

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:
they should keep the press out rule. If you jerk a weight that is a little too heavy for you, it can stop short of lockout in the jerk and you can press to a finish.

ok you lift more weight that way but it becomes a 2 part jerk. the jerk and then the pressout. you dont allow a 2 part clean such as a continental.

and no, the clean isnt 2 parts just because it has a clean and a squat portion. the squat is recovery from the clean, not a means of completing an overly heavy clean. [/quote]

In my experience you don’t successfully press out weights that were too heavy for you to jerk. You were either lazy with your technique or your technique was just off in some way, and, because the weight is WITHIN your capabilities, you are able to press it out. It just doesn’t look as smooth or pretty.

If a weight is too heavy for you to jerk, you will most likely receive it short of lockout, be incapable of pressing the bar to fully extended arms, and be forced to dump it.[/quote]

That’s why I even though it’s a miss, I always feel badass when I pressout (at home! in a meet it sucks!)

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]ape288 wrote:

[quote]bluebrasil wrote:
they should keep the press out rule. If you jerk a weight that is a little too heavy for you, it can stop short of lockout in the jerk and you can press to a finish.

ok you lift more weight that way but it becomes a 2 part jerk. the jerk and then the pressout. you dont allow a 2 part clean such as a continental.

and no, the clean isnt 2 parts just because it has a clean and a squat portion. the squat is recovery from the clean, not a means of completing an overly heavy clean. [/quote]

In my experience you don’t successfully press out weights that were too heavy for you to jerk. You were either lazy with your technique or your technique was just off in some way, and, because the weight is WITHIN your capabilities, you are able to press it out. It just doesn’t look as smooth or pretty.

If a weight is too heavy for you to jerk, you will most likely receive it short of lockout, be incapable of pressing the bar to fully extended arms, and be forced to dump it.[/quote]

That’s why I even though it’s a miss, I always feel badass when I pressout (at home! in a meet it sucks!)[/quote]

=) if you can get the weight over your head then get the weight over your head. if nothing else it will make you stronger and more confident the next time you’re trying to tackle that weight

Can’t press sh!t out when it’s heavy…

Koing