T Nation

The President Endorses Splits


#1

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=10595974
link to article, text pasted in below

Trainer reveals the secret to Michelle Obama's sculpted arms
1:24PM Tuesday Sep 08, 2009

President Barack Obama and his wife Michelle wave as they board Air Force One. Photo / AP
Photos The strange obsession with Michelle Obama's arms (9 pics)
Related links:

Vanity Fair names its best-dressed people of 2009
Fashion tips to avoid First Lady blunders

WASHINGTON - At last, the secret to first lady Michelle Obama's sculpted arms: Tricep pushdowns and hammer curls.

So says Cornell McClellan, Mrs Obama's longtime personal trainer, who described the workout routine of his famous client in the October issue of Women's Health magazine.

Mrs Obama began working with McClellan in 1997 at his Chicago fitness studio.

"She's truly committed herself to the importance of health and fitness," he says.

McClellan said that at the end of an intense routine of cardio workouts and weight training, Mrs Obama finishes with the "arm-shaping superset" of tricep pushdowns and hammer curls to tone one of the most commented-upon pair of arms in the world. She often wears sleeveless outfits.

How to get arms like Mrs Obama's?

Perform one set of tricep pushdowns using a straight bar attached to the high pulley of a cable station and then, without resting, follow with a set of hammer curls using dumbbells. Immediately repeat the entire process until two or three sets of both exercises have been completed.

The details of Mrs Obama's fitness routine came as part of a series of interviews by President Barack Obama and his wife on health care and their personal fitness and nutrition habits.

The President was interviewed by Men's Health; he also was featured in the magazine last November.

Mrs Obama gave her first interviews to Women's Health and Children's Health, a new magazine by Rodale Inc., publisher of the men's and women's health magazines.

Mr Obama is again on the cover of Men's Health, while his wife graces the cover of Children's Health. She is joined by some of the Bancroft Elementary School pupils who have been involved with the White House garden.

Mr Obama said he works out six days a week: two cardio days and four weightlifting days split between the upper and lower body.

He also discussed his effort to overhaul the US health care system and his late mother's bout with cancer.

"My blood pressure is pretty low, and I tend to be a healthy eater," he said in the interview.

"So I probably could get away with cutting (my workouts) back a little bit. The main reason I do it is just to clear my head and relieve me of stress."

Mrs Obama cited small changes to her family's diet that she says have made a difference. They include eliminating processed foods, cutting back on sugary drinks, eating more fresh fruits and vegetables, eating together more as a family and teaching her daughters how to read food labels.

She said she tries to be conscientious about health and fitness because her family is like many others - too busy to think about it every day.

"But health and fitness and how we eat and thinking about it has become part of our lives, because of our kids," she told Children's Health.

"We are their primary role models. And if they see me exercising and thinking about what I'm eating, if they see their father, as busy as he is, getting to the gym and playing sports, when they grow up they'll understand that this is a natural part of being an adult."

  • AP

#2

Fellow kiwi mate? Love that you linked the NZ Herald; its the shit right there.


#3

I would presume he trains with presidential intensity. Now just imagine what would happen if someone would slip some whey in his morning cereal and some EVOO in his vegetable juice…he would become known as…OBAMASSIVE


#4

I wonder how much he squats…


#5

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#6

[quote]pushharder wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
I wonder how much he squats…

Quite a bit and often. In just seven short months he has left a legacy of steaming piles[/quote]

Can you blame him? He is probably just trying to shake off the haterz who get a kick outta riding his ass nonstop.


#7

[quote]pushharder wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
I wonder how much he squats…

Quite a bit and often. In just seven short months he has left a legacy of steaming piles.[/quote]

Most of those steaming piles were handed over to him from the last administration.

If I was handed that much crap, I’d make fertilizer.
lol


#8

[quote]GluteusGigantis wrote:

“We are their primary role models. And if they see me exercising and thinking about what I’m eating, if they see their father, as busy as he is, getting to the gym and playing sports, then enjoying a cigarette, when they grow up they’ll understand that this is a natural part of being an adult.”

  • AP

[/quote]

Fixed.
lol


#9

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.


#10

More proof that hes just as much as celebrity as a president.


#11

[quote]pushharder wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
pushharder wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
I wonder how much he squats…

Quite a bit and often. In just seven short months he has left a legacy of steaming piles.

Most of those steaming piles were handed over to him from the last administration.

If I was handed that much crap, I’d make fertilizer.
lol

Just send me another drawing of your wife and I’ll let this slide.

[/quote]

Damn. Now everyone will want one.

lol


#12

[quote]DropShot wrote:
More proof that hes just as much as celebrity as a president.[/quote]

and now something sad: While I was waiting in line to vote last year a girl around 18 or 19 was talking on her cell phone to a friend and I overheard he say: “I know it’s just as exciting as voting for American Idol…”

I died a little inside that day…


#13

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:
pushharder wrote:
Iron Dwarf wrote:
pushharder wrote:
BlackLabel wrote:
I wonder how much he squats…

Quite a bit and often. In just seven short months he has left a legacy of steaming piles.

Most of those steaming piles were handed over to him from the last administration.

If I was handed that much crap, I’d make fertilizer.
lol

Just send me another drawing of your wife and I’ll let this slide.

Damn. Now everyone will want one.

lol

[/quote]

I’m still waiting for my Tourettes Syndrome card.


#14

[quote]polo77j wrote:
DropShot wrote:
More proof that hes just as much as celebrity as a president.

and now something sad: While I was waiting in line to vote last year a girl around 18 or 19 was talking on her cell phone to a friend and I overheard he say: “I know it’s just as exciting as voting for American Idol…”

I died a little inside that day…[/quote]

lol c’mon she was 18.


#15

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
polo77j wrote:
DropShot wrote:
More proof that hes just as much as celebrity as a president.

and now something sad: While I was waiting in line to vote last year a girl around 18 or 19 was talking on her cell phone to a friend and I overheard he say: “I know it’s just as exciting as voting for American Idol…”

I died a little inside that day…

lol c’mon she was 18.[/quote]

…and therefore able to vote. See where the problem lies?