T Nation

The Power of 3 Program

How does this program look for strength and mass. My primary goal is strength, with mass a secondary goal. I am currently training at home and the equipment I have access to includes adjustable dumbbells, one adjustable kettlebell (up to 50lbs), weighted vest (up to 40 lbs), dip station, door pull-up bar, and rings. Before the end of the year I’d like to get a trap bar or barbell, because deadlifts are important and I like them, but until then this is what I have to work with.

I’m 5’10" and 173 lbs, with a 33.5" waist, so with a sensible diet and some conditioning I should minimze excess fat gain. The following template is based on The Power of 3 Program (https://www.t-nation.com/training/power-of-3-program).

I particularly like the simplicity of focusing on only 3 exercises per workout.

Workout A:
Heavy lower: one leg squats 6 x 3-6
Medium pull: bodyweight pull-ups 3 x 6-9
Light push: ring push-ups 3 x 10-15

Workout B:
Heavy push: weighted dips 6 x 3-6
Medium lower: weighted squats (weighted vest plus holding dumbbells or sandbags) 3 x 6-9
Light pull: dumbbell rows 3 x 10-15

Workout C:
Heavy pull: weighted pull-ups 6 x 3-6
Medium push: dumbbell overhead press 3 x 6-9
Light lower: kettlebell swings 3 x 10-15

Conditioning will be easy paced running 2-3x per week. When I’m 2 months out from the
obstacle course race I plan to run, the book “Never Gymless” by Ross Enamait has some good conditioning routines.

thanks,

as long as you have the means to produce progressive overload (i.e. enough dumbbells and weighted vests) its a good routine.
if you run out of weights before getting a barbell and weights you can always add more sets and reps. but overall
its fine as a start

I’m going to just reinstate my 24 hour fitness and downgrade my membership so I can have access to barbells. I’ve revised the plan to:

* Workout A:
	* Heavy lower: deadlift 6 x 3-6
	* Medium pull: bodyweight pull-ups 3 x 6-9
	* Light push: push-ups 3 x 10-15

* Workout B: 
	* Heavy push: overhead press 6 x 3-6
	* Medium lower: rear foot elevated split squat 3 x 6-9
	* Light pull: db rows 3 x 10-15

* Workout C: 
	* Heavy pull: weighted pull-ups 6 x 3-6
	* Medium push: weighted dips 3 x 6-9
	* Light lower: kb swings 3 x 10-15

your routine looks great. Perhpas you’d rather hear some esoteric response, but you got all the basics down.

Big fan of Ross. Simplicity is king, and that goes for equipment as well.

What you posted is fine but if have acess to barbells now 531 triumvirate would be preferable

So 24 hour fitness has different level of membership? So what does a downgrade not permit you to do?

24 hour fitness has regular facilities and super sport facilities, which are bigger. I had the membership for the super sport, the original gym I signed up with, then I upgraded it so I can go to any of the regular facilities. I’m going to downgrade so I only go to the one regular facility closest to me.

I wish they had different levels, as I only need access to the barbells/dumbbells/etc, although I like the rowing ergometer for HIIT.

I did deadlifts yesterday and reached a top set of 195 lbs for 3 reps (after not doing deadlifts for 6 weeks). I probably could have maxed out around 215-225. At that level of strength, wouldn’t it be better to do linear progression?

No your strength levels are just fine to do 5/3/1 -has been discussed here many times.