The Power Metal Thread

You can’t post Sabaton without 40:1

I like some of this stuff, but I have trouble classifying most metal, it seems like every band is a sub-genre of a sub-genre with a crossover to another sub-genre.

I’m ready for the ridicule… Kamelot. If they are concidered power metal.

Demons and Wizards

Or I could be completely wrong and this stuff doesn’t apply as power metal.

[quote]RenegadeDragon wrote:
[/quote]

Fuck That. Kamelot fucking rules. Their 2 disc Faustian epic (Epica + Black Halo) rocked my face off and melted it into goo. They have great composition skills and blend different flavors extremely well.

I think I’d classify them melodic power metal. They’ve been on a tear too–ever since Fourth Legacy all their albums have gotten better and better–and more well-composed–with the possible exception of Expedition.

There are some major props that need to given out for mentioning Blind Guardian, Kamelot, and Sabaton before I make my first response haha.

You CANNOT leave out Pagan’s Mind if you are talking about power metal, case in point here - YouTube

The following bands are more Progressive than anything else, but a few of their songs are definitely power metal

Amorphis
Circus Maximus
To-Mera
Symphony X
Kamelot
Pagan’s Mind (mentioned earlier in this post)
Pathosray
Seventh Wonder
Pain of Salvation
Porcupine Tree (only a couple of their songs)
Nevermore (only a few songs, definitely more of a blend of many types of metal)
Epica (can you really classify them into just one metal genre?)

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
RenegadeDragon wrote:

Fuck That. Kamelot fucking rules. Their 2 disc Faustian epic (Epica + Black Halo) rocked my face off and melted it into goo. They have great composition skills and blend different flavors extremely well.

I think I’d classify them melodic power metal. They’ve been on a tear too–ever since Fourth Legacy all their albums have gotten better and better–and more well-composed–with the possible exception of Expedition.[/quote]

Ghost Opera wasn’t all that great TBH, but when the 3 best Kamelot albums were released before it (Karma, Epica, The Black Halo) it is hard to keep getting better. “Anthem” would have to be my favorite song from Ghost Opera, but it is hard to come across a more complete album than “The Black Halo”

Kamelot binge time. Get those two albums if you consider yourself a metal fan in any way at all…Or else.

This Pain’s intro is a bit slow and long, but it’s a great song

Both Epica and Black Halo flow extremely well. I usually listen to both albums back to back (Epica first) because they flow so well there’s rarely a track break. And the story makes it shine.

[quote]Rocker3829 wrote:
Aragorn wrote:
RenegadeDragon wrote:

I think I’d classify them melodic power metal. They’ve been on a tear too–ever since Fourth Legacy all their albums have gotten better and better–and more well-composed–with the possible exception of Expedition.

Ghost Opera wasn’t all that great TBH, but when the 3 best Kamelot albums were released before it (Karma, Epica, The Black Halo) it is hard to keep getting better. “Anthem” would have to be my favorite song from Ghost Opera, but it is hard to come across a more complete album than “The Black Halo”[/quote]

Ok, I will agree with you. But I think if you can take Ghost Opera on its own it’s a fantastic album. It only pales when you compare it to the Magnum Opus that is Black Halo/Epica. Of course, seeing how they came right before, it is a bit difficult to put them out of your mind :slight_smile:

Here’s the shit right here! My main interest is in black metal, but sometimes i just love this awesome cheesy stuff. And for vocal performances its hard to beat!

(Long list. Got carried away)

Lost Horizon

HEED

Triosphere

Persuader

Cage

MANOWAR

Falconer

Sonata Arctica

Van Canto - Acapella metal with Hansi on guest vocals :smiley:

Blind Guardian

Blind Guardian

Iron Saviour/Gamma Ray

Morgana LeFay

- YouTube argh matty!
- YouTube

Niiiiice post Defiance. Some good stuff there, I’d forgotten all about Lost Horizon. I dig black metal too, although I’ve traditionally been more a thrasher. I like the avatar too btw. Think I may have to pop by the Black Metal thread.

here’s a great song from Kamelot. It’s the entrance of Mephisto into the story. Seriously, just get the albums already.

…and here’s another in the awesomely cheesy category. This video makes me laugh…hard. It’s like Spinal Tap reincarnated. More regular hard rock, but the rest of the album has a lot of very very good metal, like the second selection below this next one.