The Power Curl

I’m not referring to cheat curls but “curl grip cleans”. Anyone use these to build strength? Seems like a very under-used exercise. Any thoughts?

Ya power curl, is a staple man. good to make sure you don’t get bicep tears when flipping the tire etc, the diesel crew guys do them pretty often, go ahead and google the name.

-Xen

forgot to mention several Olifters do it a lot too… Dan John has it included in several of his programs.

its like bicep work T-man style

Cool.

It seems far less technically demanding than regular cleans. Any technical tips I should be aware of?

How much can you power curl relative to your clean?

check it out

I’ve actually never done them myself. The only time I’ve ever seen them done was on a documentary movie about a Swedish Discus Thrower (great movie by the way…of course I was a college thrower, so I loved it). It was the Ricky Brusch Story. Pretty good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

j

Xen, I saw that link…it was pretty much the only reference to power curls I could find online anywhere.

The Power Curl is a great exercise for Strongmen (i.e. tire flipping) and Highland Athletes (i.e. turning a caber). It does have limited hypertrophy use though. At least for your biceps. If you were to use them I would make it for a short period that puts emphasis on strength.

[quote]Zulu wrote:
I’m not referring to cheat curls but “curl grip cleans”. Anyone use these to build strength? Seems like a very under-used exercise. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I haven’t done the cleans, but I have used curl-grip deadlifts, which I picked up from Dan John’s site. Ridiculous bi pump and grip workout. It also helps to reinforce that there should be NO slack in the arms when DL’ing.

Minotaur, neat, I hadn’t thought of that.