T Nation

The Power Curl

I’m not referring to cheat curls but “curl grip cleans”. Anyone use these to build strength? Seems like a very under-used exercise. Any thoughts?

Ya power curl, is a staple man. good to make sure you don’t get bicep tears when flipping the tire etc, the diesel crew guys do them pretty often, go ahead and google the name.

-Xen

forgot to mention several Olifters do it a lot too… Dan John has it included in several of his programs.

its like bicep work T-man style

Cool.

It seems far less technically demanding than regular cleans. Any technical tips I should be aware of?

How much can you power curl relative to your clean?

http://danjohn.org/page62.html

check it out

I’ve actually never done them myself. The only time I’ve ever seen them done was on a documentary movie about a Swedish Discus Thrower (great movie by the way…of course I was a college thrower, so I loved it). It was the Ricky Brusch Story. Pretty good stuff if you can get your hands on it.

j

Xen, I saw that link…it was pretty much the only reference to power curls I could find online anywhere.

The Power Curl is a great exercise for Strongmen (i.e. tire flipping) and Highland Athletes (i.e. turning a caber). It does have limited hypertrophy use though. At least for your biceps. If you were to use them I would make it for a short period that puts emphasis on strength.

[quote]Zulu wrote:
I’m not referring to cheat curls but “curl grip cleans”. Anyone use these to build strength? Seems like a very under-used exercise. Any thoughts?[/quote]

I haven’t done the cleans, but I have used curl-grip deadlifts, which I picked up from Dan John’s site. Ridiculous bi pump and grip workout. It also helps to reinforce that there should be NO slack in the arms when DL’ing.

Minotaur, neat, I hadn’t thought of that.