T Nation

The Power Bodybuilding Thread

This thread is for people who train to be as big AND strong as possible. The great Louie Simmons once said that in order to become a really strong person you need to train with heavy weights. NSCA states in the Essentials of Strength and Conditioning that minimally 85% of an advanced trainee one repetition max should be used for the purpose of increasing strength.

lets hear about your method of training for strength and size.

example of what im doing now to build my hamms and lower back: kind of a fuse between DE and ME method but with higher % to get in high volume with heavy weight:

Deadlifts

Warm Up triples, doubles, singles up to 90% of 1rm
7 sets of 2 with 80-85% (% change every 4 week block)

Deadlift Hypers:
Warm Up
4 sets of 8-12 reps

GHR John Meadows style hamm killers
5 sets of 6-12 reps

Leg Curls
2 sets of 15-20 reps

Abs
3 sets of weighted decline crunches

I guess I would be classified as this, i just make sure im moving a lot of weight on every single movment even accessory, and go low reps on the squat bench dead military

[quote]Blackaggar wrote:
I guess I would be classified as this, i just make sure im moving a lot of weight on every single movment even accessory, and go low reps on the squat bench dead military[/quote]

Does it gotta be low reps to be power bodybuilding? I’m not asking skeptically, I’m seriously asking.

So, e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DjtVvYk1HWw

Is that power bodybuilding? Either way, it’s what I’m shooting for :).

“Powerbuilding” is bullshit. It’s either a) the same thing as regular bodybuilding or b) ignoring MMC and focusing only on the weights lifted, which is counter-productive towards one of your goals

Either way, you cant get big without being strong.

[quote]Anus Bleach wrote:
“Powerbuilding” is bullshit. It’s either a) the same thing as regular bodybuilding or b) ignoring MMC and focusing only on the weights lifted, which is counter-productive towards one of your goals

Either way, you cant get big without being strong.[/quote]

Possibly right. It is not necessarily counter productive as your not really losing muscle by lifting heavy weights. You could do something like alternate strength and bodybuilding cycles every few months, it is also not unreasonable to do 1 heavy lift at the beginning of the workout then bodybuilding stuff the rest of the time.

I’d like to know what their definition of power builder is. Maybe someone who wants to get both big and strong but not compete in either? And what about people like Stan Efferding, is he a power builder OR both a bodybuilder and powerlifter?

powerbuilding is a concept that is very different from your old school BB mentality. how many bodybuilders train 8-12 and how many train with powerlifting intensity? Chad once wrote an article on how 20 singles with high % of your max can lead to crazy gains in size. methods and discussion of that kind is the idea behind this thread. Stan and JJ do the same. they powerlift, yet they have a much more developed and complete physique than your average powerlifter (delts, pec mass , biceps etc) because they powerbuild or whatever you want to call it.

If you think bbers never leave the 8-12 range you’re ignorant. Different muscles respond better to different rep ranges, different individuals respond better to different rep ranges, varying intensity is good for progress, etc. The pros may avoid maxing out (especially around contest time) for fear of injury. But hobbyist bodybuilders can pretty much do anything they want and as long as their strength is going up and they’re eating enough, they’ll grow. And if they dont neglect bodyparts, they’ll look better than the average pler.

JJ is a pro BBer that competes in PL in the offseason. I dont think that makes him a powerbuilder. Efferding is a tough call.

Plenty of powerlifters (Konstantin), Oly lifters (Pisarenko), and strongmen (Pudz) did BB training on the side. I also dont think that makes them powerbuilders, because I’m pretty sure they cared more about the sport they were competing in more than their physiques. They just didnt think that one type of training interfered with the other and had the genetics to pull off impressive builds.

Personally, I care about my strength in every lift and not just the big 3. I also dont train in the 8-12 range a lot of the time. If that makes me a “powerbuilder” to some then so be it.