The Pot Head Lifter

I have been an avid pot head on and off for about 20 years, not an every day thing anymore but a good 3-4 times a week. I have lifted most of my life with the last 6 years being hardcore.

I have always felt pot was a better way to �??relax�?? then alcohol and in a weird way better for my body. I have never been one to get the munchies so it didnt effect my dieting, it actually help to an extent, to chow down the proper amount!
Now that I am at my goal for this year (320 bench for 4 reps, 350 for hammer pull downs, 450 shrugs 145 preacher curls and so on) I am wondering what other side effects (besides the smoke in my lungs) I may have from the weed.
How much does it effect my metabolism?
How much does it effect my recovery?
Ill properly get flamed for this but if you look at what alcohol does to your body I still stand by the weed is better then liquor statement above. Hell, we all have our vices and to be honest, being on call 20hrs a day, 7 days a week takes a hell of a toll on your stress levels, then include taking the time to lift 3-4 days a week, money issues, wife issues, blah blah blah the only true releases I have going are getting under some big asss weight and a blunt here and there…

What do you think? I cant be the only one lighting up!!

Keep it to the weekends.

You’ll be fine.

I’ve found some studies that said weed had a negative effect on testosterone levels. (to what extent who knows)

I also believe that weed plays a role with some of the neurotransmitters of the body.

Honestly tho man are you willing to give it up even if it is hindering you?

It might not be that bad for you, but it certainly isn’t making you better.

I have nothing against weed, I don’t drink or do anything that isn’t performance enhancing anymore, but I occasionally think about sparking one up on the weekends and chillin by the pool listening to some Bob Marley.

Your call dood, my opinion is that it may not be hurting that much, but it certainly isn’t helping.

DG

I smoke weed every day. I lift weights 3 times a week. Im there with ya, and there are plenty of dudes on this site who spark the dankage. Its not good for your body, but it doesn’t really effect my performance in the gym. Sometimes ill smoke a bowl within 30 minutes of cranking out heavy deads. I hate what it does to the lungs tho. Wish I had the money to make brownies all the time.

With the gains I made/make, i don’t see me stopping. I usually smoke about 4-5 months out of the year. I get a bag then tap it till its gone and never go looking for it, I just run across it now and again. If I knew i would get another 10% or so on the weights I might quit but it does let me relax so I would think it helps with recovery unless my body see’s it as another stress of sorts. I just wonder if its messing with my metabolism and am i introducing another form of stress on my body… Hell we all saw the Gov-a-nator smoking a joint back in the day.

[quote]B0nzz wrote:
With the gains I made/make, i don’t see me stopping. I usually smoke about 4-5 months out of the year. I get a bag then tap it till its gone and never go looking for it, I just run across it now and again. If I knew i would get another 10% or so on the weights I might quit but it does let me relax so I would think it helps with recovery unless my body see’s it as another stress of sorts. I just wonder if its messing with my metabolism and am i introducing another form of stress on my body… Hell we all saw the Gov-a-nator smoking a joint back in the day.

[/quote]

Yeah I was going to point out that Arnold smoked.

Check this out.

He is so high!

The brain has specific receptor sites for cannabinoids, i guess your brain is prepared for it. I smoke everyday and I havent seen any negative side effects… The studies stating consumption reduces testosterone levels was done on mice, given much higher amounts of THC than a human being will ever smoke.

Negative side effects: cant concentrate / smoke in lungs (you can always bake it.

Positive side effects: better sleep, reduces stress (in my case), munchies

[quote]elano wrote:
Check this out.[/quote]

Yeah. It hasn’t affected Arnold :wink:

[quote]okuma wrote:
The brain has specific receptor sites for cannabinoids, i guess your brain is prepared for it. I smoke everyday and I havent seen any negative side effects… The studies stating consumption reduces testosterone levels was done on mice, given much higher amounts of THC than a human being will ever smoke.

Negative side effects: cant concentrate / smoke in lungs (you can always bake it.

Positive side effects: better sleep, reduces stress (in my case), munchies [/quote]

I thought about using it for better sleep, but I found a study once that said smoking before bed actually decreased the amount of rest you get when you sleep because your body expends too much energy and time trying to get back to homeostasis or normal. It affected the REM cycle because your body is spending time figuring out how to get back to normal.

But then again I know people who have to smoke to get normal lol

DG

I’m a closet pothead. I’ll smoke any day of the year at any time, as long as it’s not before a workout. I learned my lesson… I just can’t crank it up when I’m high. I’ve noticed NO difference between gains and metabolism when I’ve been smoking opposed to when I’ve had to stop.

[quote]Dirty Gerdy wrote:
okuma wrote:

Positive side effects: better sleep, reduces stress (in my case), munchies

I thought about using it for better sleep, but I found a study once that said smoking before bed actually decreased the amount of rest you get when you sleep because your body expends too much energy and time trying to get back to homeostasis or normal. It affected the REM cycle because your body is spending time figuring out how to get back to normal.

But then again I know people who have to smoke to get normal lol

DG[/quote]

Interesting. I’ve never heard that. I smoke every night to help get to sleep. It’s interesting, though, I can generally remember that I get a better night’s sleep if I fall asleep towards the end of my high rather than the beginning or mid-point. If I’ve been smoking all day then it’s always a deep sleep, haha.

i believe that THC is a testosterone antagonist, meaning it effectively blocks testosterone receptors. I read it on the internet, which means it must be true.

ive never smoked pot before, and that information above, whether true or not, has been the reason why.

I cant smoke before I sleep or I got distracted and never get to sleep but then again, i dont get the munchies from it either so it hits me different.
So if I mix my stash with a protein drink ill look like the hulk in 3 weeks with no side effects???..

a member here for 2 yrs and 9 posts… did you forget your login? :wink: :smiley:

I have read and heard lots of stories of big guys smoking chronic. So as far as it slowing strength or muscle gains: fuck that.

Now as far as respiratory system health goes, smoking anything is not good. This is why I chose to quit. Not only do I want a good-looking body, but I want to be healthy as well.

If I could only get ahold of a vaporizor…

I smokes on occasion. No detrimental effects as far as I can tell… but I only smoke intermittently (i.e. less than once a week).

[quote]elano wrote:
B0nzz wrote:

Yeah I was going to point out that Arnold smoked.[/quote]

just because you have a pick of arnold SMOKING ONCE does not mean it smoked all the time. that really could of been a one time thing

[quote]B0nzz wrote:
I have been an avid pot head on and off for about 20 years, not an every day thing anymore but a good 3-4 times a week. I have lifted most of my life with the last 6 years being hardcore.

I have always felt pot was a better way to �??relax�?? then alcohol and in a weird way better for my body. I have never been one to get the munchies so it didnt effect my dieting, it actually help to an extent, to chow down the proper amount!
Now that I am at my goal for this year (320 bench for 4 reps, 350 for hammer pull downs, 450 shrugs 145 preacher curls and so on) I am wondering what other side effects (besides the smoke in my lungs) I may have from the weed.
How much does it effect my metabolism?
How much does it effect my recovery?
Ill properly get flamed for this but if you look at what alcohol does to your body I still stand by the weed is better then liquor statement above. Hell, we all have our vices and to be honest, being on call 20hrs a day, 7 days a week takes a hell of a toll on your stress levels, then include taking the time to lift 3-4 days a week, money issues, wife issues, blah blah blah the only true releases I have going are getting under some big asss weight and a blunt here and there…

What do you think? I cant be the only one lighting up!!
[/quote]

Been there I understand your love of cannabis-esp during the days of Panama gold. The aroma and sweet taste. But during the eighties weed started getting green house grown and potency stated giving me chest aches and head aches.Gave up all smoking and it was a challenge. Could not imagine doing hill sprints and still smoking.

As far as taring up the lungs -just take your favorite pipe and run a pipe cleaner through it-that’s what you got in your lungs. Sorry had two parents pass away, one lung cancer the other emphysema. Not being judgemental- perhaps being more judicious in your use would reduce health consequences and save a few bucks to boot.