The Pledge

This is scary stuff. If you can’t stomach the whole thing at least listen from 3:53 to the end. “I promise to be a servant to our president.” This is not okay stuff.

Keep your powder dry gentlemen.

mike

i was wondering if i was going to see that video posted here…

It seems as though we have found our beast of the sea…

least that’s what im calling him for now.

I pledge I will never be a servant to Barack Obama or any man as long as I can still stand, breathe and fight.

How’s that for a pledge?

its a gimmick to get traffic to the site, not a red army recruitment add

Looks like its time to round up some good men and go sheep hunting? Anybody with me?

[quote]TrainerinDC wrote:
Looks like its time to round up some good men and go sheep hunting? Anybody with me?[/quote]

Sounds fun count me in.

[quote]Standard Donkey wrote:
i was wondering if i was going to see that video posted here…

It seems as though we have found our beast of the sea…

least that’s what im calling him for now.[/quote]

looks like me and you are calling him the same thing.

That is bad. The backlash will be tremendous when it comes. And it will.

I remember laughing when smart, educated people expressed real terror that the religious right was taking over America eight years ago. Our own American Taliban, a la Margaret Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale (“In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist’s nightmare…” CHILLING.)

Let people worship their hero. Maybe they’ll even keep their silly promises, who knows? There are worse things.

Meanwhile I’ll keep setting the alarm to get up in the morning and cook my own meals and tend to my family’s needs and drive myself to work. I just can’t get worked up about how scary it is that Hollywood stars are babbling self-congratulatingly about themselves.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Maybe they’ll even keep their silly promises…
[/quote]

I think that is what they are worried about.

Which promises in particular frightened you or seemed ominous?

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
I remember laughing when smart, educated people expressed real terror that the religious right was taking over America eight years ago. Our own American Taliban, a la Margaret Atwood’s Handmaid’s Tale (“In the Republic of Gilead, formerly the United States, far-right Schlafly/Falwell-type ideals have been carried to extremes in the monotheocratic government. The resulting society is a feminist’s nightmare…” CHILLING.)

Let people worship their hero. Maybe they’ll even keep their silly promises, who knows? There are worse things.

Meanwhile I’ll keep setting the alarm to get up in the morning and cook my own meals and tend to my family’s needs and drive myself to work. I just can’t get worked up about how scary it is that Hollywood stars are babbling self-congratulatingly about themselves. [/quote]

Good post.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Which promises in particular frightened you or seemed ominous?[/quote]

For starters:

[quote]Obama said:
For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act – not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.

We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. And all this we will do.[/quote]

I guarantee you there is nothing he can do to “fix” anyting except stand out of the way. His rhetoric doesn’t seem to suggest that is what he is going to do.

Most people who post in this forum are also skeptical of the idea of national health care. At least, I don’t think government has a better idea about what is best for my health than I do.

We are also skeptical of the government to choose the correct form of energy for us – after all, they got ethanol wrong.

I’ll take the anarchic, chaotic, and unregulated market over this buffoon and his squad of savvy, motivated do-gooders any day.

I pledge not to support these people’s careers ever again.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
EmilyQ wrote:
Which promises in particular frightened you or seemed ominous?

For starters:

Obama said:
For everywhere we look, there is work to be done. The state of the economy calls for action, bold and swift, and we will act – not only to create new jobs, but to lay a new foundation for growth. We will build the roads and bridges, the electric grids and digital lines that feed our commerce and bind us together.

We will restore science to its rightful place, and wield technology’s wonders to raise health care’s quality and lower its cost. We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories. And we will transform our schools and colleges and universities to meet the demands of a new age. All this we can do. And all this we will do.

I guarantee you there is nothing he can do to “fix” anyting except stand out of the way. His rhetoric doesn’t seem to suggest that is what he is going to do.

Most people who post in this forum are also skeptical of the idea of national health care. At least, I don’t think government has a better idea about what is best for my health than I do.

We are also skeptical of the government to choose the correct form of energy for us – after all, they got ethanol wrong.

I’ll take the anarchic, chaotic, and unregulated market over this buffoon and his squad of savvy, motivated do-gooders any day.[/quote]

You really worry that Aston Kutcher is going to be instrumental in effecting this kind of change? Or that Demi Moore’s plan to “smile more” combined with Drew Barrymore’s vow to be a good mother will worsen things nationally?

Are we talking about Obama’s policies or about a bunch of actors gushing about inane promises in a video? I thought we were discussing the latter.

[quote]EmilyQ wrote:
Are we talking about Obama’s policies or about a bunch of actors gushing about inane promises in a video? I thought we were discussing the latter.
[/quote]

My mistake. Yes, I was referring to Obama because I thought you were referring to Obama keeping his promises.

As far as these idiot, robot actors…well…here’s your answer:

Leave it up to a self-important entertainer to publicly go on the record to state her own “selfless morality”.

Oh, no, I realize that Obama’s promises are matters of real concern, whatever side of the political spectrum you’re on.

I was talking about the pledge video.