The Pitfalls of Recycling: Myths Exploded

That’s interesting, I wasn’t aware that trash would mummify. Of course you don’t want toxic substances in a landfill, which is why there are normally other ways to dispose of such items. Like if you have old paint you can take it to Lowe’s and a few other places and they will take care of it free of charge. But still, what harm are mummified organic materials doing?

My point was that there are ways to safely dispose of plastic, and it can be converted to energy and such. With all the talk about saving the environment and governments charging carbon taxes you would think that they would seriously consider some of these options if they aren’t just looking for another excuse to rob taxpayers.

1 Like

Mummified organic materials are not biodegrading like they should. they should go back in the cycle once we are not using them anymore.

Yes, it’s not ideal, but does it actually cause any harm? Obviously polluting the ground with toxic chemicals is a problem, but if you have a landfill site full of organic waste and a bit of plastic and metal what are the actual negative effects of that?

My issue with this green bin thing is that we are essentially subsidizing a fertilizer/soil business. If they can minimize the need for landfill sites then that’s nice, but then why is that councillor fighting against allowing plastic bags in the green bin? I don’t use my green bin precisely because they don’t currently allow bags and it is disgusting and will freeze in the winter, and I am certainly not the only person.

The other thing here is that if there is next to no organic waste going to a landfill site and no recyclable materials then what is going to be sent there? Diapers, maxi pads, discarded electronics, and unrecyclable packages. Is it somehow better if the site is filled with that stuff instead?