I have been experimenting with the following rep tempo:
- Explode up
- A fast negative, ‘catching’ the weight at the halfway point or below,for a 2 sec iso hold
- Lower remainder of the way in a controlled fashion
- Pause at bottom, repeat
My idea is that
- I get the benefits of explosive lifting
- the fast eccentric may be better for hypertrophy per some recent studies
- pause at the bottom allows for dissipation of the stored elastic energy, hence more work for the muscle.
Thoughts on this rep tempo for hypertrophy?