I have been experimenting with the following rep tempo:
- Explode up
- A fast negative, 'catching' the weight at the halfway point or below,for a 2 sec iso hold
- Lower remainder of the way in a controlled fashion
- Pause at bottom, repeat
My idea is that
1) I get the benefits of explosive lifting
2) the fast eccentric may be better for hypertrophy per some recent studies
3) pause at the bottom allows for dissipation of the stored elastic energy, hence more work for the muscle.
Thoughts on this rep tempo for hypertrophy?