T Nation

The Pencil Neck's Miscellany

This is not the thread you want.

Move along.

JEDI mind trick, or what? Hope all is well.

weight: 196.6

Squats: 135x5; 225x3; 315x1; 365x1; 365x1; 385x1
Bench: 115x5; 185x3; 225xF
Deadlifts: 225x3; 295x1; 375x1
Supinated pullups: 0x3; 0x3
DB Curls: 40x10
Dead Hang: 39s

I’m attaching a video of my 385# squat. My form has much suckage. I hate filming my squats. I only have an old Canon camera that also takes video in about 30s clips.

I can’t edit it to get rid of the dead time of me walking back to turn off the camera and I have to put it on a timer for it to start. So… I always feel rushed when taping my lifts and it always screws up my form. So I’m scared to do it with a really heavy lift.

BUT…with that said, I think the video shows my biggest problem. I tip forward at when I come out of the hole. With weights this light, I am usually better at keeping myself upright coming up. But this is what happens when I fail on heavy lifts, too. My butt starts up and I don’t keep my upper torso stationary in relation to the floor.

I was also so discombobulated that I squatted 365 and then forgot to put the 20# on for the last rep and did 365 again. I was about to strip the bar and start on my bench when I realized the weight was wrong. Pfeh.

I was really ticked about the bench fail. My shoulder just wasn’t feeling right and then didn’t get any drive off my chest. I’ll try it again next workout.

The deadlift felt good. My grip felt fine. The pullups were easy.

I ditched the close grip bench because my elbows have started hurting recently. I’ve been icing them and had a massage therapist work on them.

They were feeling better today but I was thinking the culprit might be those CGB’s so I cut them. Then I started doing the light curls and THEY were hurting my elbows. So now I don’t know. Although my elbows feel better after this workout than they have for awhile.

And then I suck on the dead hang. I had some swing and it was ruining my grip.

Was that Jerry Springer on the TV and did part of you fall off there at the end?
Sweet set up and the vid did turn out good. Love Obi Wan, is that for the mods?

[quote]The Pencil Neck wrote:
THIS IS NOT THE THREAD YOU WANT.

MOVE ALONG.[/quote]

LOL!

And welcome back to the Geezer’s beer tent. :slight_smile:

Y’all crack me up! And thats a heckuva squat!

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Was that Jerry Springer on the TV and did part of you fall off there at the end?
Sweet set up and the vid did turn out good. Love Obi Wan, is that for the mods?
[/quote]

1. No, that was NFLN in the background replaying the Patriots vs. the Redskins.
  2. Yes, one of the little twisty handle things on my squat rack is broken and falls off from time to time.
  3. Yes, that’s to keep the mods away from this training log… that… isn’t a training log at all. I’m not sure what it is but training log? No.

[quote]j_willy3 wrote:
Y’all crack me up! And thats a heckuva squat![/quote]

Thank you. It showed me some things I need to clean up.

385 went up easy.

Never yet having squatted more than 160 kgs, I would like to have your problem! And so I won’t presume to advise you on technique: It certainly looks for one like the weight is solidly on your heels throughout.

I looked at your previous log (!) and saw you yourself address issues on 6 April to your satisfaction. Any changes crept in since then over against what you say there about sitting back etc.?

[quote]1Geech wrote:
Never yet having squatted more than 160 kgs, I would like to have your problem! And so I won’t presume to advise you on technique: It certainly looks for one like the weight is solidly on your heels throughout. I looked at your previous log (!) and saw you yourself address issues on 6 April to your satisfaction. Any changes crept in since then over against what you say there about sitting back etc.?[/quote]

Part of the problem with filming is that I rush to get under the bar and I invariably start thinking about the camera being on me and I go back to doing things wrong. I kept most of the things I fixed on the 6th except for this tip forward thing.

The slight tip forward in the video is my biggest form problem. I get to the hole and then I bend forward slightly before I start my ascent. Then I have to fight to straighten my torso. In its worst variation, it’s almost a bastardized goodmorning. I do this a lot and I’ve done it for years. It’s very irritating.

This is actually the first time I’ve taped this that I can really see what I’m doing wrong and now I can map what I’m feeling to what it really looks like. I think this might actually help. It’s all about that initial movement out of the hole; if I get that right, I’m golden.

While I was doing this lift, I was also afraid that I had cut it before I had broken parallel because it wasn’t ATG. But the depth looks good to me. So I need to stop worrying about that so much. (That also means, that my last heavy squat that I marked as a failure might actually have been a good one.)

Nice squat! Deep and solid.Looking forward to meeting you in person in june.Keep hammering away. Jimmy T

[quote]Jimmy T wrote:
Nice squat! Deep and solid.Looking forward to meeting you in person in june.Keep hammering away. Jimmy T[/quote]

Thanks, man! I’m looking forward to it, too. It’s going to be a blast. :slight_smile:

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

you might find this interesting…

http://www.T-Nation.com/findArticle.do?article=body_149squat

Pencil Neck -

As you get toward the bottom of the squat, you’re rounding your upper back. I can tell because your elbows come forward. This tips you forward and then your lower back rounds. Your knees then come forward to compensate and keep you in balance. It’s a compromised position and the strongest thing your body can do is shoot the hips backward and up on the ascent which then forces the good morning.

I think if you concentrate on keeping the elbows back and upper back tight through the whole motion and break strongly at the hips first, the rounding will stop. Focus on making your head the first thing to move out of the hole.

I have a tendency to do the same thing and it’s taken about a year to break it. If the weight gets real heavy on a squat, there’s a strong likelihood I’ll break form that way.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

Having tight glutes would fit with the forward lean too. Why? Because tight glutes are likely to be less than optimal force generators. …
Since it is the glutes that are primarily responsible for the control of pelvic tilt, in this sort of dynamic movement, you can see why I am focussing on them.

[/quote]

[quote]skidmark wrote:

I think if you concentrate on keeping the elbows back and upper back tight through the whole motion and break strongly at the hips first, the rounding will stop. Focus on making your head the first thing to move out of the hole.

… If the weight gets real heavy on a squat, there’s a strong likelihood I’ll break form that way.[/quote]

What I find interesting here is that Pencil Neck – looking forward to his response to these posts – says this is happening only when he goes very heavy. What could explain that detail? What might be responsible for this kind of breakdown in form only at top weights?

Form or flexibility already not optimal, and ramifications only then coming out? Or is there a muscle group (glutes, hamstrings?) that needs some strengthening to better handle these weights? (I am hoping the possible answers might have some applicability to others, myself included.)

I want to thank everyone, there’s some excellent feedback here.

I think Bushy is dead-on about my rounding my lower back and that being from issues with my glutes. And I think Skid is dead on about my rounding my upper back right before I start my ascent. Whether those two issues are semi-related or not, I don’t know.

Unfortunately, I’m having hell at work today so I’m not going to be able to work out at my normal time. I was hoping to try to see if I can at least clean up some of these issues. I’ll have to figure out what I’m going to do about the glutes, but I can concentrate on maintaining my arch and not rounding my upper back at least.

And, Bushy, my avatar is from my first meet back on 2000. At that time, I had a ponytail down to my mid back.