The Over 35 Forum...

at last, somewhere to talk about ED and “the good old days”, I’m glad I found this site.

Since I’m 42 and all F’ed up from surgeries and accidents I figure I’m better off posting here than in the straight up PL forum, so if there are no objections I am going to start my log, right here, right now.

Sun 9/12/10

Bench- 135x5 185x5 225x3 275x3 325x2 375x2 405x1 405x1 315x12

Squat- 135x5 185X5 (a theme is developing) 225x3 275x3 315x3 335x3

Barbell Row- 135x5 225x5x5x5

Stiff Legged deads- 225x5x5x5

Total Time 41 Minutes

I am following a hybrid Bulgarian/Moron program I designed myself, I have been doing essentially the same compound exercises everyday, 4 days in a row with no break, then the 5th day is a cardio/pool/aerobic day. I will mix regular deads, front squats and lunges, but I always flat bench and bbell row (although with as little as 185 on bench for sets of 2-3), I am considering some other stuff like MP’s to replace bench every now and then, but I hate them. That’s it usually 35-45 minutes and I’m out, I will either overtrain/get hurt/get weaker or something good will happen. I will post some videos if that’s okay, I would like some feedback on form, tempo, and hairstyle it helps to know what I’m doing wrong.

BAM!!! And he’s off! He’s outta the gate with a 405 bench!!!

Lots of heavy drinking, scratched, scarred, popping, snapping, swearing, burping, farting, heavy lifting, smashing, and good times here-- but enough about the O35 women.

Welcome to the freakshow. You’ll get used to the subtle wafting odeur of “Bio-Freeze” and “Ben Gay”.

If you’re not going to do it, I think that there’s an understanding here that you’re supposed to bow your head and genuflect when you hear the phrase “5-3-1” <bows head, genuflects> or someone mentions “Jim Wendler” <bows head, genuflects>

I am a big fan on the 5/3/1 program, it just looks to difficult for me, adding subtracting, percentages etc, plus if I don’t bench my shoulder hurts, weird I know, but when I take a day or two off my body aches, hence I lift each day to avoid the pain (hair of the dog). I read a lot of Jim Wendler’s stuff and he seems to be a very bright, articulate and motivational fellow, plus he’s really strong so I am aware that I am ignoring sage advice, once my current routine cripples me I will probably switch to a science based program like his.

Christ that’s a big bench. Nice work and welcome aboard.

welcome aboard.

How the hell do you do the big lifts everyday?

and 5/3/1 is for wussies.

(there, I said it)

[quote]PeteS wrote:
welcome aboard.

(there, I said it)[/quote]

coming from the whore:)

[quote]PeteS wrote:
welcome aboard.

I don’t know. I read somewhere in some bullshit magazine (or maybe a good one, I forget) that lions don’t have off days, and they’re jacked, so I decided to try it, plus of course the Bulgarians train their lifts everyday. I am pretty sure the Bulgarians are called the Lions of Europe. Maybe not. Anyway I just like doing them everyday.

Welcome to the busted up old folks forum.
Since you are doing heavy bench and squats the same day and work out like a lion, I think you qualify.

Other than being a youngster, what are your stats? Years lifting, weight, music preferences and all that jazz?

Welcome to rehab center. Big benching dude.

[quote]PeteS wrote:
welcome aboard.

x2

405 bench everyday?? Squats, DL everyday?? Damn. You, sir, are an anomaly. But I mean it in a nice way ;^)

[quote]BrianHanson wrote:
I am a big fan on the 5/3/1 program, it just looks to difficult for me, adding subtracting, percentages etc, plus if I don’t bench my shoulder hurts, weird I know, but when I take a day or two off my body aches, hence I lift each day to avoid the pain (hair of the dog). I read a lot of Jim Wendler’s stuff and he seems to be a very bright, articulate and motivational fellow, plus he’s really strong so I am aware that I am ignoring sage advice, once my current routine cripples me I will probably switch to a science based program like his.[/quote]

NO, NO, ITS NOT HARD, YOU HAVE TO DO IT.

Or, we will kill and eat you. all hail 5/3/1

[quote]PeteS wrote:
welcome aboard.

WHAT WE NEEDS HERE IS SOME TORCHES AND SOME PITCHFORKS. THERE’S TO BE A MONKEY BURNIN IN THE TOWN SQUARE TONIGHT

Nice work.

really.

welcome aboard.

Hello all,

Monday 9/13

Couldn’t find anyone to video me today (I was the only one in the free weight area) so here is what I did (or didn’t do)

Bench-135x5 185x5 225x3 275x3 325x3 375x2 (felt odd) 405x0 (oh noes, brought it to my neck returned it to low rack position before decapitation) 405x1

Squat-135 x5 185x5 225x5

DL- 135x5 185x5 225x3 275x3 315x3 365x2 405 x2 455x1

BBell Rows- 135x5 225x5x5

MP- (I see the race to 300 thread) 95x5 135x3 185x3 225x2 (I do not like these at all, they seems very hard)

That’s it 48 minutes and done, took a long pause after missing on first 405 attempt, had to determine if I was tired, weak or just out of sorts, 2nd one went right up with plenty to spare so I think probably upper chest/lower neck is not my target zone for bar placement.

Awesome training Brian! Welcome

That is a ton of work. Since you generally squat and dl on the same day, do you take turns going heavy on one and light on the other? I notice for instance you worked up to 225 on the squat, and 455 on DL. just wunderin.

[quote]JoeGood wrote:
Welcome to rehab center. Big benching dude.[/quote]

I agree… REALLY BIG benching!

[quote]mjnewland wrote:
Since you generally squat and dl on the same day, do you take turns going heavy on one and light on the other? I notice for instance you worked up to 225 on the squat, and 455 on DL.

That is exactly what I do, I sort of go by feel, I have had weeks where nothing (bench squat DL) has gone above 50%, I think of it like a deload week, really low reps and light weights etc. I typically can’t go heavy (for me anyway) on squat and deadlift on the same day although on rare occasions when I am horrified with myself and full of self loathing I will do it just to teach me a lesson.

First of all ty for the positive replies, and for not blasting me for what a bad idea this is (I am aware).

Tuesday 9/14

Bench-135x5 185x5 225x5 275x3x3 225x5

Squat-135x5 185x5 225x5 275x3 315x3 345x2

Stiff Legged Deads- 225x5x5x5

BBell Rows- 225x5x5x5

Pull-Ups- 2,2,1,1 (Oh my god these are ridiculous)

44 minutes and out the door, tomorrow I do my sea world show in the pool with the ladies doing aqua aerobics.

Great training Brian. You seem to have a program that works well for you. If it aint broke dont fix it. Some 5/3/1 lifters are wussies (MJ especially).