T Nation

The Other Perspective on Fish Oil

You might want to consider reading these if you are supplementing with fish oil or you are considering supplementing with fish oil.

The first of these is a list of quotation (with sources) calling into question the benefits of fish oil and citing the possible dangers:

“Fifty years ago, it was found that a large amount of cod liver oil in dogs’ diet increased their death rate from cancer by 20 times, from the usual 5% to 100%. A diet rich in fish oil causes intense production of toxic lipid peroxides, and has been observed to reduce a man’s sperm count to zero. [H. Sinclair, Prog. Lipid Res. 25, 667, 1989.]”

http://tinyurl.com/5s2z78

Next is an article written by biochemist Ray Peat on fish oil:

In 2004, a study of 29,133 men reported that the use of omega-3 oil or consumption of fish didn’t decrease depression or suicide, and in 2001, a study of 42,612 men and women reported that after more than 9 years the use of cod liver oil showed no protective effect against coronary heart disease (Hakkarainen, et al., 2004; Egeland, et al., 2001).

<<The most popular way of arguing that fish oil will prevent heart disease is to show that it lowers blood lipids, continuing the old approach of the American Heart Association’s “heart protective diet.” Unfortunately for that argument, it’s now known that the triglycerides in the blood are decreased because of the fish oil’s toxic effects on the liver (Hagve and Christophersen, 1988; Ritskes-Hoitinga, et al., 1998). In experiments with rats, EPA and DHA lowered blood lipids only when given to rats that had been fed, in which case the fats were incorporated into tissues, and suppressed mitochondrial respiration (Osmundsen, et al., 1998).>>

http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/fishoil.shtml

If fish oil caused a 100% death rate from cancer in humans at the dosages that people are taking I think someone would have noticed.

Yeah thanks. More Flameout for me then.

[quote]Cockney Blue wrote:
"Fifty years ago, it was found that a large amount of cod liver oil in dogs’ diet increased their death rate from cancer by 20 times, from the usual 5% to 100%.

If fish oil caused a 100% death rate from cancer in humans at the dosages that people are taking I think someone would have noticed.

[/quote]

Cod liver oil is not the same as fish oil.

I know that, I was questioning the original statement. Doesn’t seem right. Either dogs have a reaction to CLO that humans don’t or the study was BS.

High amount of vitamin A in cod liver oil, seem to remeber Bill Roberts posted about it being toxic recently.

I wouldn’t mind more studies being done. From what I can tell Vetamin D, E and C taken in a high enough dose (read much higher than the RDA) Then fish oil may not be all that useful for healthy people.

V

[quote]Vegita wrote:
Then fish oil may not be all that useful for healthy people.

V[/quote]

WTF??

I know of quite a few people who are switching over to Krill Oil.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

WTF??
[/quote]

I don’t think he meant fish oil isn’t useful. I think he’s just saying that if you dose the vitamins D, E, and C high enough, then fish oil becomes excessive, or expendable.

[quote]redgladiator wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

WTF??
[/quote]

Really? Ok, I don’t doubt that fish oil has benefit for reducing inflamation for people with acute inflamation. However, I see it more as a treatment, not a long term supplement. So as I said before in a healthy individual, with no pre-condition of acute inflamation, I think fish oil as a preventative measure is not all that viable.

The Vitamins C, D and E all do what fish oil is supposed to do when taken in high doses and in concert with eachother. And they are MUCH cheaper and you don’t have to worry about rancidity. I know you don’t have to worry about that with Biotest’s product, but not everyone buys Flameout. Regardless, more studies are always needed, it’s not like we have mapped every physiological function of the human body and how it interacts with other physiological functions. I mean we have mapped a lot, but we still don’t know how they all interact all the time.

V

No surprise here. Every thread from the OP is about how you’ll die if you don’t live off water and air.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
No surprise here. Every thread from the OP is about how you’ll die if you don’t live off water and air.[/quote]

Did you read the article?

[quote]oneforship wrote:
redgladiator wrote:
Vegita wrote:

V

WTF??

I don’t think he meant fish oil isn’t useful. I think he’s just saying that if you dose the vitamins D, E, and C high enough, then fish oil becomes excessive, or expendable.[/quote]

Ha I didn’t think my first post was that uncomprehendable. At least someone got it!

V

You mention 3 studies, of which 2 were done on animals. I am not a dog nor a rat, and I don’t suffer from depression either even before I started taking fish oil. That being said, I have seen too much evidence in a positive way to prove fish oil’s effectiveness, and not enough to dispute it.

You also mention cod liver oil, which is not fish oil. I would need more convincing information to see whether your statement holds water.

It would be interesting to see if there is other research that is a bit more recent. Out of the three studies one is 20 years old and the other is 10.

• better mood
  • better focus
  • no joint issues ever
  • minimal DOMS
  • decreased BF %
  • better sleep

and in exchange i’ll die earlier ? sure i’ll gladly take that trade-off

but the sheep can go back to their anti-fat dogma while chowing down TEH WHOLE GRAINZ

Cod liver oil is different than fish oil in that it has vitamin D, which most people don’t get enough of in the winter. It is recommended over fish oil during the non-sunny months.

If you don’t take fish oil then F*** you.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.