The-Other-Half-Squat

Everyone knows the hardest part of a squat is the part of the ROM below parallel. That’s why 95% at my gym never dare to go there!

So knowing the ROM between rock-bottom and just above parallel is the weakest link of my squat, I though about doing half reps in that zone only to strengthen it.

Is it a good idea? Did you guys ever tried it with success???

Another thing you could do is 1 1/2 presses. Go down, go up halfway, go down, go all the way up for one rep. I have done this, and it was very effective. Be prepared for a pretty big decrease in weight though.

ohh 1 1/4 quarter squats is what I call them but same thing. Those are what hurt my back last week, but they burn like hell. It’s harder to keep proper form when you go ATG and stay down there for your set so if you try it be very careful about that.

[quote]CPerfringens wrote:
Everyone knows the hardest part of a squat is the part of the ROM below parallel. That’s why 95% at my gym never dare to go there!

So knowing the ROM between rock-bottom and just above parallel is the weakest link of my squat, I though about doing half reps in that zone only to strengthen it.

Is it a good idea? Did you guys ever tried it with success?[/quote]

It’s sometimes known as bottom squats, powerlifters have been known to use it, I think it was quite popular in the late 70’s early 80’s especially with Rick Crain?

It is a good idea to workin the hardest part od a lift only, an easier-not AS effective, but still effective way to do it is with a leg press, doing lower half patails with that. Use a spotter on all these obviously.

Joe