The Optimum Pre-workout Nutrition?

[quote]James Keeton wrote:
Lately I’ve read that Pre-workout nutrition is increadibly important. I, not knowing a huge amount about nutrition, have formulated some questions on this topic that I’d like to ask T-Nation community.

1.) Without Purchasing Biotest supplements, what would be an optimal Pre-workout meal?

2.) How close in proximity should this meal be eaten to the workout?

3.) How should we use a Pre-workout meal to harness the effects of insulin.

4.) While we’re at it, I wouldn’t mind the answers to 1, 2 ,& 3 in respect to post workout nutrition as well.

Thanks,
James Keeton

[/quote]

The challenge to answering questions like this is that there is no one “optimal” meal. Some things that have to be individualized include body composition, body composition goals, insulin sensititiy, muscle mass, food allergies, individual gastric motility, body part being trained, preference, supplements taken (or to be taken) etc…

I say this not to complicate things, but to point out the challenge is answering questions like this. If you were to look at the pre-workout meals of 10 of my clients, they would be 10 different meals.

With that being said: two great pre-workout meal options are (about 90 min prior to training)

1. chicken breast + rice or egg whites + oatmeal

[quote]BlueCollarTr8n wrote:
The best book I have ever read on the subject is:

Nutrient Timing:The Future Of Sports Nutrition
by John Ivy & Robert Portman

It will answer your questions and be a great reference moving forward. [/quote]
eh, that book is overhyped IMO.

[quote]dnlcdstn wrote:
I’m gonna buck the trend and say no pre w.o. nutrition may be more beneficial when total cals and macro breakdown is spot on. Point being when you eat you tend to get lackadaisical. I feel my concentration and endurance are better when I go into training without consuming anything before.

I’m not talking about going into training malnourished or after a day of below maintenance cals. Besides the lean gains crowd, others here on this very site feel the same way. Sorry supp companies : (

Post w.o. is another story entirely. [/quote]
Very good post, I am the same way. Many times I like lifting when I haven’t ate in awhile (+3 hours)… I just take Alpha-GPC, a caffeine pill, down one FINiBAR with a lot of water, and I’m good to go. I feel my mind is more clear and alert sometimes, when I go in without that much food.

I hate feeling bloated while training too

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:

[quote]mbk wrote:
How would people rate a banana on 2 slices of wholemeal toast topped with 3-400g cottage cheese about an hour or so before/after training? [/quote]

C’mon man…do you really care? Does it work for you? If so, then terrific. If not, then change it.[/quote]

This.