The Open Boat

That looks like a better programme. Are you working as well? (As I’m wondering how you fit all that in!)

Training today

Military
bar x5x2; 50x5; 60x8 (not happy with this); 45x17 (because repping high makes me happy right now)

Pullups 5 sets of 3x30

Squats
barx5x2; 65x5; 75x5; 85x5x2. So weak today. I just hit the proscribed reps.

A little box jumping. Because I’m not explosive. I know it’s probably the running that has killed my ability to squat and jump. But, I prefer to think it could be other things too.

Cal,

Yes, I work, part time, at an 80% schedule as a criminal defense appellate attorney. My office is an hour or so from my home. The part time schedule doesn’t buy me much with respect to a reduced case load (my agency is swamped), but it buys me alot in terms of flexibility with respect to my comings and goings. I frequently only have to commute 3 days a week, which is a big time saver for me and makes the job doable–that plus a touch of insomnia.

Nice pullups

I work three days a week too (just over an hour commute). It’s great.

I agree that three days running three days lifting one day off looks much better. :slight_smile:

I didn’t want to get up today to run, and almost talked myself out of it, bringing arguments about the importance of adequate rest and recovery to the forefront of my sluggish consciousness. But, I know logical thinking rarely happens when you’re in bed. So, I got up. I was rewarded. No “warming up” pain through the early miles, no worrying about whether I was breaking myself. For five miles there was just music in my ears, rain on my face, and the feeling of breathing.

Gymnastics class tonight. Rest tommorrow.

I love a pain free run (as in injury/joint pain, not effort pain!) but sadly I don’t get many of those these days. Bloody sciatica.
Good for you for getting out of bed. I have to force myself some days, but it’s usually worth it.

Cal,
I know; joint pain free runs are awesome. I was having a lot of trouble with my right leg this summer, knee and ankle pain while driving, and pain that would wake me up a night. It was so unrelenting I actually went to an ortho, xrays ect. He couldn’t find anything–said it was my IT band.

Since then, I 've bought in to the less is more with respect to shoes, ditched my motion control tanks and started stretching with an aim towards achieving the flexibility of a contortionist. I think its working–no more night pain, no more pain when driving. Here’s to being able to do the splits (mostly anyway)except that effing box split!

Wow I’m so late…

I’ll just say my welcome, glad you got that running/weights thing sorted out.

DLs today. It’s supposed to be my 3-3-3 week, but with my grip compromised by a rip on my hand from gymnastics, I didn’t think I could hang on to rep out. So, I set the day up to do 5x5.

DLS
135x5
155x5
165x5x3

GMS
75x5x5

GHR
bwx10x5

Some ab stuff

Jumps: box, long, rebounds x15
prowler (some distance) x8x75

Way to adapt and push through anyway!
I know I’m late too, but welcome. I’m looking forward to following along with your progess. I too am doing a bit of a bastardized 5/3/1 program.

12 mile run today. Body felt okay, stomach felt wrong–too much junk food I suspect. NOt much else to say but that I’m happy with the distance and the fact that I avoided pitting my shants.

Nadia - totally with you on the shoes. I’d love to get some Vibrams but they’re tricky to get in the UK (they can be got, but only by mail order, and I have weird-shaped feet so I really have to try shoes on). I’ve used Nike Frees for the past couple of years. They’re nice and light and don’t get in my way.
Also working on the flexibility thing. Box splits? No way. Don’t think I’m built for that. But the other sort, I’m getting closer.
And 12 miles with a dicky tummy? That’s impressive.

I’ve tried running with a dicky stomach and usually loop right back home. Glad you didn’t pit your shants, those moments are so awkward. Had an attack of the belly bug while stuck in traffic once. Yeah, thought I would make it until I had to wait for the elevator going 20 flights up. Got home crying and basically threw out my underwear and nylons. Stuff like that should not happen after your 5 years old.

/endthread?

Nlmain living is filled with all kinds of indignities isn’t it? Best to acknowledge them and find the humor in them. Shit is real afterall. Sorry Hallowed.

life IS filled with indignities: getting old, getting sick, finding the humour and moving on is a great little lesson.

end crap commentary. lol.

Hai Hallowed!
:wink:

Bench Day

Bench: bar x10; 45x5x2; 60x5; 70x5; 80x13 (3 rep pr)

Row: 45x5; 65x5; 75x5; 85x5

I did something else but I don’t know what to call it. (That’s helpful huh?)It’s some kind of modified (to be made much easier) lever pull up using bent arms and momentum sets of 5 ATTEMPTS x3. (I’m piking hard through it and clearly lacking the necessary core strength).

Static strength work:
straddle L hold: 15 secs x3; 10 secs x2 (oddly, I feel these in my hips)
front lever tuck hold: 15 seconds x3 (I’m going to call these attempts, because I’m not sure I hit the correct body position)

Push up (sadness) so weak: 10 regular, 5 wide, 5 diamond, 5 planche.

Jumps: Box; long; rebounds x10

Took the kids to a gymnastics open gym y’day and played myself. My knee hurt when I woke up this morning. I thought about bagging my jumps today, but motion is lotion. Knee seemed to hold up okay.

I’ve been thinking about my training and goals a lot since I started posting here. I realize that my affection for running, and more specifically running 12 miles at a clip, works against me in the strength game.

It’s funny. My training looks a lot like my life. As a working mom I often feel the pressure of underachieving in both realms–bad employee; bad mother. I am always from someone’s perspective arriving late or leaving early. Balance is a struggle and I know it comes with a price.

But, while my attention is always to some degree divided; my committment never is. I want it all, and I’m going for it.

[quote]Nadia Comeandeat wrote:
But, while my attention is always to some degree divided; my committment never is. I want it all, and I’m going for it. [/quote]

Awesome, love it

To some degree, I have your conflict. I enjoy bicycle riding, sometimes for long distances, and that can compromise my next squat or DL day. But no-one is paying us to ride or run or powerlift. So in that sense, its different (and more enjoyable) than the stuff we HAVE to do, like work.

Remember this stuff here is for recreation. The question is, “was it fun”? If the answer is yes, then you were a huge success.