T Nation

The Only Time I'm Happy Anymore

Is the gym.

College sucks. Its hard. Dads pushing me. I dont even know what the heck I wanna do with my life.

Cant seem to shake the depression from breaking up with my girlfriend.

Best friend told me she could never see me again. Right when I need her…

and my diets been shit. So I feel like shit.

And the only place Im happy is that gym. Everything makes perfect sense. Theres no drama. Just me some friends my dad and the weights.

The weights…they dont run away when I need them. I’m a fixture in there. People look up to me and ask ME for help.

I dont know what to do about everything else. But that place is my heroine. My piece of Heaven on earth.

maybe this is the wrong place to post this…but I just read “death rattle” and felt like expressing myself a little.

“If you’re going through hell, keep going.”

College does suck man, I am right there with ya, but there is an end. Either get focused and finish up, or take a break for a semester. Take some time to figure out what you want to do in life, you have to have some interests that you could could make a career out of.

Spend some time with the bros, have a few drinks, do whatever. Work on finding a new girl, I don’t mean to just trash the old girlfriend, but there are plenty of other girls out there. If she can’t be there for you, why hang on to her? Surround yourself with people that will help you, not people that will let you down and/or hurt you.

Keep up the lifting if that’s what works. You’ll pull through soon enough. We all hit low points, but they always pass, your’s will too.

The gyms always a great place to let out life’s frustrations.

Sorry to here life’s depressing at the moment.

Take a semester off and do some personal training for cash.

I’m in a similar boat man. I’m 19 and it feels like college is filled with worthless ass holes who couldn’t give a baker’s fuck about you. I can’t take a semester off because my scholarship is for 10 consecutive semesters, so if I take a year off i’m screwed financially and my family can’t afford to pay for me to go.

I don’t know if you’re in a similar boat, but I couldn’t imagine taking a semester off and actually going back. It’s a good thing that you have lifting to fall back on when shit gets tough. Just know that there’s a ton of other guys out there that are goin through the same 'ol shit. Do what makes you happy man.

The great thing is that you already have one of the greatest weapons to fend of life’s crappy istuations… Iron. Pain and frustration will only help you get that extra rep. Grab the situation by the hands and punch it in the face. Chick left you… your best friend bailed? The sweetest revenge is success. There are more chicks out there and I know you can count on another buddy, just don’t make comparisons. When the semester is over, take a vacation nowhere near where you live and RELAX.

Can’t say anything about your Pops, cause no matter how good you are, he will always want more for you, though I’m sure the thing he would want the most is your hapiness. Go ahead and shed a tear or two, then wipe your face and smile. It may be the end of one chapter, doesn’t have to be the end of the book. Hang in there… and bring the hammer down!

“keep on keeping on man” -Joe Dirt

I know how it goes man. I’ve been in community college for 8 years and have wasted a lot of time. I have a great career now I don’t even need to finish but I’m going to just because I’ve came so far. Figure out what you want to; don’t spin your wheels like I did.

As far as the GF stuff goes, I can definitely relate. That shit sucks more than anything and the only thing that seemed to make me feel better was meeting other girls and training. Good luck with everything, good times are just around the corner.

everytime i go to the gym i die and leave reborned

All I can recommend is to keep on going. I was in a similar position myself and I swear there were times when the only thing that I had that I knew I could trust was the gym. I just graduated this past December and things are starting to really go my way. Just keep pushing through knowing that there will be an end to it all. Once you reach that end you will have accomplished something that so many others have given up on.

I said the same thing to my self the other day, its cause spring break is over and now its all papers and nonsense again.

The gym is the only thing that makes me happy too…

Yeah, but what about the whe…

I hear you man. Like you, my scholarship runs for consecutive semesters, and I didn’t take a gap year. I cannot wait for college to be over, although thats only two and a half more semesters for me.

Used to be I’d look forward to my morning cup of coffee and papee before school, and hitting the gym afterwards. Starting to look that way again nowadays.

Is college really that much worse than the working world?

Don’t get too down man. As far as the girl situation, just realize that there are bigger and better fish out there. The way I deal with these situations is that I tell myself that it’s their damn loss and I was the real catch in the relationship anyways. Maybe I’m a bit insensitive when it comes to breakups…but I seriously don’t have time to dwell on them and never have or will.

College…it’s a bitch. I’m in my 4th year and will be here an extra year. 5 years wasted, basically. I’m getting a degree in Marketing and I could really give two shits about business. It’s too late for me to go back and study Nutrition…that would cause me to be here 7 years total. Luckily I’m getting a 2nd degree in English/Creative Writing which is what I enjoy. Hopefully I can get into a good Grad School. If not…then I’ll try my best to find a job in a field that I enjoy like Advertising or Publishing. If I end up in a fucking cubicle, pushing papers and feel like burning the place down I’ll just go back to school and get my Nutrition degree.

I have to remind myself that nothing is as bad as it seems and that there’s always a way to come out on top.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
Is college really that much worse than the working world?[/quote]

If I could go back to college, I would in an instant. The real working world sucks. College should be the best time of your life. All your potential is at its peak - physical, mental and sexual - along with the opportunity to exploit that potential.

1. It seems you already know what you need to know about the gym, so I’ll skip the physical part.

2. You have a young, hungry mind and all the classes you could want to fill it up with new knowledge. Find something you enjoy learning about and pursue it. There is no paycheck greater than loving what you do for a living. Too many chase the big paycheck and find that they can’t out-earn dissatisfaction.

3. College is full of beautiful, sexually adventurous young women. Make an effort to meet some of them. The variety and experiences will do you worlds of good and help you gain perspective.

you’re young - enjoy it and live it up!

i loved computers since i was 5 and wanted to study about them since then. now im in the 4th out of 10 semesters in the best college for them in greece and im so freaking bored of them. maybe its not cause of them. maybe cause i cant find a girl i would really like. maybe cause i dont have really great friends. maybe for some other reason. either way, unless i turn out to be a genetic freak in some other area, then its my best bet by far if i want to earn decent money, since i want a wife and a bunch of kids (3-5).

put simply, i cant have both satisfied at the same time. at least not right now.

[quote]IgneLudo wrote:
Is college really that much worse than the working world?[/quote]

No it is not but it can suck. Keep at in, both school and the gym. Everything else will sort itself out. Finish your education. Don’t let your body go to hell.

Depression is a bitch.

The gym was my saving grace for a bit.

Back in college I had met a girl I thought I was going to marry, then she left me for her old, gray haired boss. Talk about an ego shot! Not to mention the wasted money on a ring…

I went nuts in the gym for the next month because that was the only place I could let my frustrations out. Everyone workout I pushed myself to the point I would throw up and then keep lifting.

Long story short, I called her drunk one night with my team mates after I had just come in the top 10 in the world for rowing. I think my words were, “ha you left a world class athlete for a limp dicked old man!” Best laugh I had in a long time :slight_smile:

Moral of the story is, it�??s ok to use the gym as a crutch for now, and you�??ll be better off without her. Life has a funny way of working out for the best if you stick through the hard times.

As for not knowing what you want to do with your life, don’t sweat it. It can take a long time to figure that out - don’t worry about having the wrong major, internship whatever. Just get that first degree done and you’ll have many options in many fields that you haven’t even heard of yet. If you want to get a grad degree in a wildly different field, you might only need a couple of intro classes to get you up to speed - they trust that you have the skills to learn a subject on your own.

Now would be a great time to add cardio 3-6 days a week, especially if you have more than one off day. Although lifting can be great for your mood, cardio seems to work even better. When a person is stressed, whether from a gunshot or a term paper, they’re built to run from a lion. Great design 10,000 years ago - today, not so much.

Finally, don’t be afraid to talk to a counselor at your school, especially if you’re going to make a huge or stupid life decision. You pay a lot of money for them, might as well use them. I know there’s a huge stigma out there, but usually they just gently tell you to stop being an idiot. For instance, you say “and my diets been shit. So I feel like shit.” And they’ll say “Well, how do you think you’d feel if you ate a little better?” And you’ll think to yourself “well duh, smartass, I’d feel better” - then it sinks in…

[quote]travis8798 wrote:
“When you’re going through hell, keep going.”

[/quote]

fucking well said.