The oiling of America

Here is an interesting article ive found on fat, Most may not agree with this way of thinking but I actually do agree with the point of the 4 part article lets here what u think. www.westonaprice.org/facts_about_fats/oiling.html

There are some good articles at this site,I discovered it a couple of months back looking for info on coconut oil.
I agree with most of what they are saying in the oiling' article.Only criticism I have is that in their defense of saturated fat they forget to point out that the omega6/omega 3 ratio of today's domesticated grain fed beef is way too high in the favour of omega 6,compared to grass fed beef and game meat.This is why I eat wild meats and lean cuts of beef and add in my own good fats’.
By the way,check out the info on coconut oil,I think this is something we will hear more about in the future.Coconut oil has traditonally been poo-poohed by `experts’ because it is one of the few plant-source fats that is predominately saturated.However,it appears not all saturated fats are created equal,coconut contains two unique fatty acids, that have numerous health benefits, that are not commonly found in other foods.Tastes and smells good too!

Eddie: This is a profound and very truthful article. It is also the type that gets “snuffed out” by Food Industry interest, the FDA, and even the AHA. In summary, the realities are this:

1)The majority of cholesterol in our bodies is PRODUCED by our bodies. Diet contributes very little. There are individuals whose bodies produce dangerous levels of lipids. But for the majority of us, diet contributes little to our cholesterol levels.

2)TRANS fatty acids NOT cholesterol appear to be the much bigger culprit in Heart Disease. TRANS fatty acids (created by the hydrogenation of vegetable oils to make them “hard” and thus more shelf stable)are not metabolized efficiently by the body. They create havoc for the bodies enzyme systems because of their foreign configuration, they become “rancid” within arteries, and in an attempt to metabolize them, the body produces enourmous amouts of free radicals, thereby damaging delicate arterial walls.The problem? The margerine, processed food, vegetable oil (corn and soy especially) and Hydrogenated Oil (as additive) industry in multi-billion in scope. And what they push is killing us as readily as cigarettes.

3)What should we do? a)Avoid margerine, processed foods, “hard” vegetable oils and any processed oils.b)Increase your consumption of NATURAL Omega 3 oils, flax, Olive, etc. c) Don’t be afraid to consume eggs (WITH occasional yolks; remember they WON’T significantly increase your cholesterol AND the yolk contains artery-friendly lecithin). d)DON’T be afraid of consuming saturated fat (as is in animal meats) but in moderation. d) Make fresh water “fatty fish” a welcome staple to your diet (e.g. Salmon) and e) EXERCISE!

The food industry may hate you…but your heart and arteries will thank you!

Mufasa,in regards to your comment about diet having little influence on cholesterol-Dietary cholesterol probably has sweet FA to do with raising cholesterol in the body,despite what the makers of `cholesterol free’ foods would have us believe.
However high carbohydrate diets,both low and high fat,have been shown to adversely affect cholesterol levels,compared to low carb diets.Once again this is contrary to what many experts wish us to believe.I got to see a first hand example of this several years ago.I had an uncle with heart disease,so he went on a low fat,low protein ,high carb diet.By the standards of the National Heart Foundation he was eating perfectly-low protein,low fat,lots of ‘healthy complex carbs’ like legumes,whole grains etc-but his cholesterol went out of control.We couldn’t work it out at the time,but with what I know about high vs low carb diets it makes much more sense.Of course the doctors didn’t know about this either so they just gave him more medication which he dutifully took right up until his second fatal heart attack at 65.

You are also right about the organisations you mentioned,they have enthusaistically portrayed dietary fat as the villian,while glorifying complex carbs as the key to good health,which is kind of interesting considering considering humans did not even eat grains,beans,legumes in any meaningful quantity until around 10,000 years ago.
A recent newspaper article showed how associations here in Australia that are supposedly set up for the benefit of disease victims,like the National Heart Foundation,the Anti Cancer Council etc recieve funding from pharmaceutical companies-how do you think this affects their willingness to recommend natural,effective means for dealing with these ailments?I have not once heard the these organisations speak out against trans fatty acids,in fact I remember seeing the Heart Foundation tick of approval (for which food manufacturers pay the Heart Foundation a fee)on margarine tubs-a fantastic source of TFA’s!
I have also never seen a recommendation for antioxidant supplements,even though one study showed a 75% reduction in heart attack occurence in those who took 400 iu or more of Vitamin E a day.They claim ‘there is still not enough evidence’-well there is certainly a strong correlation and I don’t see them allocating any of the ample amounts of donations they recieve for ‘research’ to investigate the matter further.
What saddens me is when I see funeral notices requesting that in leiu of flowers and wreaths could people send donations to the National Heart Foundation.If only these people knew they were asking people to send money to an organisation whose advice actually encourages the spread of the ailment that killed their loved one.

I agree with both of u guys totally. the reason i have been looking up info on cholesterol and things of that nature is i eat an abundant amount of meats and eggs and such. I am 18 and my last bloodtest for cholesterol the total was at 220 the hdl was around 60 or so the rest LDL the doctor said he is gonna put me on lipitor if the next test isnt below 200. Also my uncle died of MI evnen aftewr a triple bypass and eating “healthy” for about 5 years he was 48.

You’re right…I should have said dietary Cholesterol had little effect on Total Cholesterol…isn’t it interesting (AND scary!) that people with heart disease are being put on some of the WORST diets they could be placed on? I STILL hear the recommendation for heart patients to eat TRANS-fat heavy margerine and Corn Oil!

Almost all the articles on that site are great, I’ve read most of them quite a while back. Definitely check out the book, Nutrition and Physical Degeneration, and Know Your Fats. Again, as mentioned before there isn’t much talk about the omega 3/6 ratio that is thrown off from grain fed beef, but overall the information is great.

Eddie, I would be concerned at your doctor’s willingness to put you on lipitor, you are only 18 and lipitor isn’t exactly a benign drug. What’s he going to do,keep you on it for the rest of your life?
Take a look at your diet.What kind of meat do you eat? Stick to the leaner cuts,use wild meat if you can get it,keep up an adequate fat intake from sources such as olive oil(has a positive effect on cholesterol),nuts(brazil,almonds,macadamias etc),avocadoes,coconut oil,flax oil.Eat oily fish regularly and supplement daily with fish oil (these have also been shown to be ‘heart healthy’).Also very important,keep the carbs low,especially sugar and refined carbs.Try to emphasise fibrous veggies like broccoli,cabbage,brussel sprouts,cauliflower,salad greens,you can spice them up with a bit of oil and lecithin if you find they taste bland.Save the high glycaemic carbs for post-workout.Garlic,chillies,onions,green tea,adequate fiber intake etc are other things that can have a positive influence on cholesterol.Good luck!

Thanks for your concern boombam. And i yes i was very concerned he was so quick to try and feed me C lowering pills, I am also on HBP meds even though he found that my bp in my right arm is considerably different then the BP in my left Arm. At the time of the Blood test i was on a low carb diet and was takin fish oils every day, only carbs i had did come from vegetables( except ont the weekend). ABout the game meat i would love to eat that every day if i could the only game meat ive ever had though i venison and i loved it but its illegal to sell i think, well in nj ne way. Plus the cost isnt very cheap like beef is and that could be a problem.

One of my students recently told me about this site. I would like to point out that most people reading this site are not well versed in physiology. I recommend you search pubmed and do your own reading…it will help you learn immensely. Relying on websites to gain knowledge isn’t the best way to go about it. You all who are not in science are so lucky to have access to the medical literature that was only 5 years ago not accessible like it is today.

What you will find is that, contrary to what someone else said, diet has a profound effect on cholesterol levels. Search pubmed for Castelli, Esselstyn, Barnard, Ornish and many, many others regarding the role of diet on cholesterol.

I would also like to point out that terms like “high carb diets” are not appropriate. Its like saying “high protein” or “high-fat” and not specifying the types of each nutrient. You all know that all fats, proteins and carbs are what I call “not created equally.” Casein, soy, whey and other proteins differ, and by the same token different carbs do as well. The types of carbohydrates will differentially alter lipid levels.

good luck to you all.

Eddie,how long had you been on the low carb diet when you had the blood test? Was it a low fat or hi fat version? What were your fat sources at that point?
When I first dropped my carbs it was on a Zone style diet,after eating this way for a while i had some tests,cholesterol and homocysteine were fine at that point.Then I wanted to go even lower in carbs so I tried an Atkins-style diet,lots of fatty beef,lamb etc,felt great-until I got my blood test results back.My testosterone levels had risen,but so had my cholesterol and liver enzymes.
Now I follow a paleo diet,with wild meats,which are easy to come by in Australia,I also eat lean cuts of beef,usually veal or yearling.Also veggies ,fruit,nuts,seeds.From what I’ve read and the way I feel I really think paleo is the way to go,but I strongly believe everyone has to experiment to find the macronutrient amounts and ratios best for them.

Actually boombam i was also on a high fat high protien diet and i felt great also i think i was just coming off of it when i got my blood test so i was prob eating alot more carbs. Do u know where i could purchase some game meat for cheap? I would love to try some out. thanks for your help boombam.

Read the book “Metabolic Typing Diet” By William Wolcott and Trish Fahey. It will help you out. BTW the book is only $14.95 at almost any bookstore.

Bobby I currently have that book and have taken the test and found that i’m a protein type ( according to the book) and lately have been trying to follow the diet specifications for that type. It seems as though it has helped my strength and weight (muscle) sky rocket along with my energy. When i get my blood tested i will see how it is affecting my cholesterol.

Eddie I live in Victoria,Australia, so I can’t really help you out with specific outlets for wild meats. However the mercola.com website has info on getting grass-fed beef.If you do an internet search you should get a few results as well.When I was in the US (mostly California) a few years back I was eating a lot of Zacky’s chicken,which is supposed to be hormone and antibiotic free.
Maybe some other T-folk on your neck of the woods can help you out ?
It sounds like buffalo is not too hard to get over there,I don’t know what the cost is.
Venison is expensive down here as well,fortunately we have items like kangaroo,emu,free range turkey and chicken,rabbit etc that are reasonably priced.Aussie seafood is great too,comes from some of the cleanest waters in the world.
If you can’t get hold of free range or game meats,don’t stress,you can get by just fine by looking for the leanest freshest cuts of beef.
If feasible,and if you can find a doctor who will co-operate,get blood work done after you have made changes to your diet.Just give it time to allow the diet to take effect,this way you can see how your physiology is affected by different dietary strategies.