T Nation

The Official Rap Music Thread

I find this too be the most enjoyable form of music and was interested in what other T-Nationers listen too, my personal tastes are pretty varied i believe some of my favourites are

  • wu tang clan
  • young jeezy
  • public enemy
  • common
  • talib kweli
  • kanye west
  • dmx
  • lox
  • too short
  • biggie smalls
  • z-ro(absolute goat, if you havent heard him pm me, ill hook you up with some samplers)
  • jay-z
  • beanie sigel
  • camron(dude is pure comedy)
  • ugk
  • joe budden

I’ll admit im a 50 hater although i cant lie i get money is a good track, I love going too a concert nothing better than seeing a veteran on stage, I saw ice cube the other week…not being that well versed in his music I still had a great time…I’ve seen kanye, jay, common and next month will be seeing talib and scribe in concert…

so what do other t-nationers like too listen too?

I don’t listen to rap much, but it’s got some good rhythm and beats. I also have a nice collection of 80’s gangsta rap on my computer by the likes of NWA, Ice Cube, Eazy E, etc. that I think is hilarious.

  • Wu Tang Clan
  • DMX
  • Busta Rhymes
  • Mase
  • Method Man
  • Mystikal
  • Warren G
  • Kanye West
  • Daz Dillinger
  • Tech 9
  • Twista
  • KRS One
  • Cypress Hill
  • Snoop Doggy Dogg
  • Naughty By Nature
  • E40
  • Xzibit
  • Da Brat
  • Lil’ Kim
  • Bone Thugs N Harmony
  • LL Cool J
  • Rufus Blaq

Those are just a few of my favorites. As you may have noticed, 50 Cent and Eminem are not on my list because I think they are the worst thing that ever happened to hiphop. I admit I like some of their tracks, but just for the beats and melody, and not for their rapping.

There’s nothing worse than listening to 50 Cent’s dull, uninspiring, thick-tongued drawl over some mediocre track with him and the rest of his crew ‘singing’ the hook in a dark, lifeless monotone way. I find it boring as fuck.

I like rappers who put some spark and flow into their voice, with some real creativity and intelligence behind their lyrics.

Going down my iPod. . .

Aesop Rock
Atmosphere
Blackalicious
Brother Ali
Eyedea & Abilities
Felt (Slug from Atmosphere & Murs)
Mac Lethal
Murs
Oddjobs
P.O.S.
People Under the Stairs
Sage Francis
Soulcrate Music
Soul Position
Talib Kweli

Been a head since Cypress Hill fucked me up at age 10. Played hits from the bong at bring-a-song day, there was outrage and parental counceling. Gotta love it.

As far as fav artists go, there’s just way too much stuff. Anything from Tonedeff and Vakill to Warren G and AZ. Whatever my mood, I have some hip hop to accomodate it.

I do sip the haterade tho. Can’t stand the catchphrase state rap seems to be in now. The AYYYYEEEE THAT’S RIIIIIGHT BALLLLIIIIIIN shit breaks my fuckin heart. Cam’Ron keeping computers putin’ and shit…

Attending Mos Def live in november, which is cool, seeing as how the major acts rarely come to Norway. Should be nuts.

I don’t know why yall white people hatin’ on “Fiddy”…ok,i’m kidding…I can’t stand 50 Cent. He’s such a marketing gimmick…You all here about the “deal” he made with Kanye West?

I miss Tupac and Biggie…I haven’t been the same since,but I have some favorites:

Nas,
The Game(more talent than 50 will ever have),
Kanye,
Rick Ross,
UGK(preferably Bun B…Pimp C is garbage IMO),
Cash Money…B.G.,Lil Wayne(the old years with Mannie Fresh beats),
MF Doom,
DMX(Old stuff),
Three Six Mafia(pre-Oscar…lol),
Young Jeezy(at least the music and beats…he gets on my nerves after a bit),

I have a trend of liking most artists until they go “mainstream” and somehow forget the talent and fire that got them there.

I admit I do find commercial rap catchy at tme, I prefer the truer talent of most underground artists.

cunninlynguists
living legends
the grouch
cali agents
krs one
murs
eligh
heiroglyphics
atmosphere
dilated peoples
the last emperor
zion i
planet asia
mos def
aesop rock
(old) mobb deep

I do like Eminem as well, I think he has real talent.

Just getting into Immortal Technique. Sings with a heavy liberal bias(i suppose you could call it that, maybe a truth bias since he isnt really anti-republican I dont think) on some songs but a few of his tracks (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pqiqrnZE44) are really good and meaningful. His raps are NO dead space at all, just straight up lyrics all the way through for the most part.

I’m more into the stuff that just keeps rolling right along with the lyrics. Not really into “club” type rap where its nothing but repeat the same shit over and over.

Warren G,Nate Dogg, Dre, Snoop and more guys from back in the day are also pretty slick.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
I find this too be the most enjoyable form of music and was interested in what other T-Nationers listen too

As long as you asked, I think rap music in general sucks ass. I’m a fan of old rock and roll.

Oh…and thanks for asking.

[/quote]

Oh well, that’s probably because you’re white and of an older generation.

Rap music only became popular in the mainstream because of Eminem…white people can hear him, and once they took that up, hiphop became mainstream. Now it’s the world youth culture, which is both a bad and a good thing…

Anythin Dipset…Hell Rell, 40 Cal, Killa, Juelz, Jones, Freaky, A-Mafia

Lil Wayne (most hilarious shit ever)

Mobb Deep

Jeezy

Nas

Wu Tang

Em

Some Fiddy

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:

Rap music only became popular in the mainstream because of Eminem…white people can hear him, and once they took that up, hiphop became mainstream. Now it’s the world youth culture, which is both a bad and a good thing…[/quote]

Pretty sure rap music went mainstream long before “Mr. Melts In Your Mouth Not In Your Hand” came around. . .

Tupac
Biggie
Eminem
Tech N9ne
Busta Rhymes
Twista
Fabolous
Lil’ wayne
Kanye is decent
Nas
Three Six Mafia
Pitbull
T.I.
Young Buck
Xzibit
Yung Joc

And I never liked 50 cent before I heard The Re-up with him and eminem. Still i dont know how people can stand songs like “Amusement Park”

[quote]JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
I find this too be the most enjoyable form of music and was interested in what other T-Nationers listen too

As long as you asked, I think rap music in general sucks ass. I’m a fan of old rock and roll.

Oh…and thanks for asking.

Oh well, that’s probably because you’re white and of an older generation.

Rap music only became popular in the mainstream because of Eminem…white people can hear him, and once they took that up, hiphop became mainstream. Now it’s the world youth culture, which is both a bad and a good thing…[/quote]

I disagree. Rap was mainstream way before Eminem.

[quote]SBT wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:

Rap music only became popular in the mainstream because of Eminem…white people can hear him, and once they took that up, hiphop became mainstream. Now it’s the world youth culture, which is both a bad and a good thing…

Pretty sure rap music went mainstream long before “Mr. Melts In Your Mouth Not In Your Hand” came around. . .[/quote]

Maybe in the US, but I’m talking about mainstream worldwide popularity. It underwent an explosion from the late 90s to the early part of the milennium.

[quote]golferguy12 wrote:
And I never liked 50 cent before I heard The Re-up with him and eminem. Still i dont know how people can stand songs like “Amusement Park”[/quote]

People make themselves like Amusement Park because they want to believe “Get Rich or Die trying” was talent and not just a fluke. That was a great album unfortunately it looks like his good music begins and ends there.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

As for those who have no regard for the topic of discussion I would ask that you please stop reveling in your own ignorance.

Start an Official Rock Music thread and you will find some these same people in this thread posting some of their favorite Rock N’ Roll musicians.

[quote]Mick28 wrote:
JohnnyBlaze wrote:
Mick28 wrote:
jtg987 wrote:
I find this too be the most enjoyable form of music and was interested in what other T-Nationers listen too

As long as you asked, I think rap music in general sucks ass. I’m a fan of old rock and roll.

Oh…and thanks for asking.

Oh well, that’s probably because you’re white and of an older generation.

Rap music only became popular in the mainstream because of Eminem…white people can hear him, and once they took that up, hiphop became mainstream. Now it’s the world youth culture, which is both a bad and a good thing…

I think you’ve made some very valid points.

One more thing about certain rap songs. When black people say the “N” word and generally denigrate their own race and culture, they do more to harm their own people than anything that the general white population could say.

[/quote]

Who says the use of the N-word amongst blacks is denigrating? As with everything it would depend on context. I’m proud that certain rappers would use it. Some of these rappers are people to look up to and the common bond the N-word signifies denotes our obvious likeness.

Implying that the N-word sells records?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.