The Off-Season

[quote]kobe4life08 wrote:
im gonna have to atleast play ball once a week is that ok? it wont hamper my gains right? do u guys suggest i strength train for like 2-3 months and then add in some sprint work and plyometric? cuz ive heard for u to use the strength u gain u gotta do plyos and stuff afterwards, is that true?

can someone inform me on this please? i kno i ask a lot of questions i just love learning and trying to do the best i can[/quote]

Playing basketball won’t make you less athletic for basketball. As for your plyometrics question, someone else can answer it.

2-3 days of light basketball a week on off days wont effect ur strength gains it would most likely increase your work compacity and increases recovery ability. If you want to go all out only once a week and run full court games its fine, and you can also use it as plyos.

And what do you mean by “plyos”
are you talking about the 2 true plyos (depth drop and depth jump)? if you are then yes you are not ready to do them. But you can start off with low intensive, low impact reactive exercises such as box jumps and work your way up as your strength increases.

WTF!!!
YOU HAVE TO BE TRAINING FOR FOOTBALL!!
I HOPE.

I don’t want to put down anyone, but your getting extremely bad advice if you plan on being a decent basketball player.

Light basketball 2 days a week? while lifting hard? Thats the equivelant of some body saying they are going to play basketball, and lift light to become a good power lifter.

I guarentee you O.J. Mayo and anybody else who wants to excel at basketball isn’t playing light ball 2 or 3 days a week. More like AAU Tournaments and NBA workouts.

A Better question should be what drills should you be working on? How much and how often? What is your conditioning like? What position are you playing?

Please take a minute and think about what you are really trying to do.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
WTF!!!
I HOPE.

I don’t want to put down anyone, but your getting extremely bad advice if you plan on being a decent basketball player.

Light basketball 2 days a week? while lifting hard? Thats the equivelant of some body saying they are going to play basketball, and lift light to become a good power lifter.

I guarentee you O.J. Mayo and anybody else who wants to excel at basketball isn’t playing light ball 2 or 3 days a week. More like AAU Tournaments and NBA workouts.

A Better question should be what drills should you be working on? How much and how often? What is your conditioning like? What position are you playing?

Please take a minute and think about what you are really trying to do.[/quote]

It’s his off-season you dork

Kobe…

Since you have Kelly’s manual, reread it. Its about as good as it gets when it comes to simplicity, he even gives a sample of how to simply and effectively get stronger/faster. And he mentions the few exercises you will ever need to get where you need to be.
As far as hoops twice a week, it depends, on your level. You can do shooting and ball handling drills everyday as long as you’re not burning yourself out. Didn’t EC mention this or something similar in his manual?

Vision 1 your obviously a non-athletic dork too. AAU is in off season.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Vision 1 your obviously a non-athletic dork too. AAU is in off season.[/quote]

Well if by non-athletic you mean don’t play basketball, then you’ve got me.

Maybe you should explain why being stronger, faster, and being able to jump higher won’t help him be a better basketball player.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
[/quote]

No, that’s the equivilant to lifting heavy while doing light technique/form work 2 days a week to become a good power lifter.

This is exactly why I hate dealing with basketball players and why most of them are weak and not very explosive. All they care about is conditioning, endurance, skill, drills. and eat like a bird so they can be “quick”.

Yes i hope this basketball player trains like a football player in his off-season. The best way for a basketball player to get tothe next level is to put the ball down in the off season and start lifting heavy shit

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
WTF!!!
I HOPE.

Please take a minute and think about what you are really trying to do.[/quote]

You guys are funny, totally forget that the question has to do with basketball and not powerlifting. While there are a number of football players turn powerlifters. You don’t see that for basketball.

Being stronger, quicker, faster is great. But when it comes at the expense of skill, all you will see is internet clips of you jumping 40 inches in the air versus clips of you starting on a basketball team for a D1 team.

Anyone who knows basketball , knows that 2 hours of focused drills, is 10 times better than “light basketball” to recommend somebody to do that and lift weights in the offseason to be better in basketball is outright stupid.

By Non-Athlete I mean someone who does not perfect their sport. Any elite power lifter is not going to spend 2 days a week lifting light weights, then 3 days intense basketball to get better at powerlifting. Which is basically what your asking him to do for his sport.

Lifting weights is great, but you seriuosly need to assess where your skill level is at in relation to your athletecism for your sport. And make sure there is proper balance.

There are a number of blogs from NBA player workout routines. You want to be the best at your sport, follow routines similar to theres versus those at a powerlifting sight.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
You guys are funny, totally forget that the question has to do with basketball and not powerlifting. While there are a number of football players turn powerlifters. You don’t see that for basketball.[/quote]

Basketball players are generally very tall and wouldn’t succeed to well at powerlifting, other than maybe deadlifting. (in GENERAL)

[quote]
Being stronger, quicker, faster is great. But when it comes at the expense of skill, all you will see is internet clips of you jumping 40 inches in the air versus clips of you starting on a basketball team for a D1 team. [/quote]

I partially agree with you here, but it really depends on the situation. I play lacrosse, and my weakness wasn’t technique or skill, it was my speed. So I spent the last 2 off-seasons working on that, and now I consider myself faster than half the players. + I was also playing 1 game each week to help with my skill a little bit.

I’m 17 and have been playing for 11 years, if I had been playing for only 1, of course I’d work more on my skill.

[quote]
Anyone who knows basketball , knows that 2 hours of focused drills, is 10 times better than “light basketball” to recommend somebody to do that and lift weights in the offseason to be better in basketball is outright stupid. [/quote]

light basketball is pretty much the same thing, with just a lower intensity so that it doesn’t mess with your recovery. You shouldn’t need the be going all out in order to work on skill.

[quote]
By Non-Athlete I mean someone who does not perfect their sport. Any elite power lifter is not going to spend 2 days a week lifting light weights, then 3 days intense basketball to get better at powerlifting. Which is basically what your asking him to do for his sport. [/quote]

This is a terrible comparison. Lifting weights aids athletisism(sp?) much more than basketball (in a strength or speed perspective)

[quote]
Lifting weights is great, but you seriuosly need to assess where your skill level is at in relation to your athletecism for your sport. And make sure there is proper balance. [/quote]

Exactly

[quote]
There are a number of blogs from NBA player workout routines. You want to be the best at your sport, follow routines similar to theres versus those at a powerlifting sight.[/quote]

Just because someone has gotten to the stage that you’d like to be, doesn’t mean that they took the best route. It doens’t even mean that you could get there doing the same thing.

Also, this isn’t a powerlifting site.

I’m not saying he should quit basketball and become a powerlifter, i’m saying he should have a different mindset in the OFF SEASON. Instead of trying to improve his game by practicing the game, he should improve his game by getting stronger and more explosive WHILE doing drills to maintain or even improve his “game skills” in the OFF SEASON.

by “light basketball” i do mean drills, ect. There are a few nba players that don’t play much basketball at all in the off-season and just focuses on strength and conditioning and they come back stronger and faster, thus elevating their game and thats exactly what most high school basketball players should be doing.

Usually i would not compare anything to professional athletes because most of them can do pretty much anything and still be where they are.

i personally wouldn’t want to follow nba players’ workout routines because most of them suck. I saw a video of tracey mcgrady’s “trainer” making him do the dumbest shit no wonder he has back problems all his life. I read ben wallace’s routine on men’s fitness and it consists of leg presses and machine bicep curls.

I could care less about playing college hoops because i don’t play basketball. My sport is video taping myself jumping in the air and scream afterwards and posting them on youtube.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
You guys are funny, totally forget that the question has to do with basketball and not powerlifting. While there are a number of football players turn powerlifters. You don’t see that for basketball.

Being stronger, quicker, faster is great. But when it comes at the expense of skill, all you will see is internet clips of you jumping 40 inches in the air versus clips of you starting on a basketball team for a D1 team.

Anyone who knows basketball , knows that 2 hours of focused drills, is 10 times better than “light basketball” to recommend somebody to do that and lift weights in the offseason to be better in basketball is outright stupid.

By Non-Athlete I mean someone who does not perfect their sport. Any elite power lifter is not going to spend 2 days a week lifting light weights, then 3 days intense basketball to get better at powerlifting. Which is basically what your asking him to do for his sport.

Lifting weights is great, but you seriuosly need to assess where your skill level is at in relation to your athletecism for your sport. And make sure there is proper balance.

There are a number of blogs from NBA player workout routines. You want to be the best at your sport, follow routines similar to theres versus those at a powerlifting sight.[/quote]

If I might add something to the discussion.

I agree that “two days of light basketball” is not enough, especially for a high-school aged player. If somebody wants to be better at basketball, they need to be working on their game year round. However, HOW they work on their game should vary with the training cycle. In the early off-season, I believe that the vast majority of time should be spent on low-intensity skills, specifically, ballhandling and shooting. These are two skills that can and should be done practically every day. You could go out and shoot 1000 jumpers every day and it wouldn’t really cut into your recovery, but it would make you a hell of a ballplayer. The same thing goes for ballhandling. Go outside and do nothing but dribble for an hour. It would probably act as active recovery and help your strength training workouts.

As you get into the late off-season, you’ll want to more into game-speed type stuff and start working on your conditioning.

Also, an individual training for a sport needs to just think critically about what they need to get better. If one player can shoot the lights out when he’s by himself, but can’t get his shot off in the game against a more athletic opponent, then spending a ton of time working on his shooting probably isn’t going to help very much. He needs to work on getting faster, stronger and more athletic. On the flip side of the coin, if you have a guy who’s a physical specimen, strong andfast and explosive, but can’t shoot for shit… well then he’s got to spend more time on skills and less time working on his athletic qualities that already are great.

I do think that many young athletes (in any sport) spend way too much time in a competitive season and not enough time working on developing their athletic abilities. I see it all the time, a kid who has played his/her favorite sport year-round from the time they are 10, but once they get into 10th or 11th grade, they just aren’t athletic enough to hang with the strong/fast/explosive kids who only started playing in middle school, but are much better athletes.

“Speed kills”, and if you don’t have it naturally, you damn sure better be spending a ton of time in the offseason developing it.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
If I might add something to the discussion.

I agree that “two days of light basketball” is not enough, especially for a high-school aged player. If somebody wants to be better at basketball, they need to be working on their game year round. However, HOW they work on their game should vary with the training cycle. In the early off-season, I believe that the vast majority of time should be spent on low-intensity skills, specifically, ballhandling and shooting. These are two skills that can and should be done practically every day. You could go out and shoot 1000 jumpers every day and it wouldn’t really cut into your recovery, but it would make you a hell of a ballplayer. The same thing goes for ballhandling. Go outside and do nothing but dribble for an hour. It would probably act as active recovery and help your strength training workouts.

As you get into the late off-season, you’ll want to more into game-speed type stuff and start working on your conditioning.

Also, an individual training for a sport needs to just think critically about what they need to get better. If one player can shoot the lights out when he’s by himself, but can’t get his shot off in the game against a more athletic opponent, then spending a ton of time working on his shooting probably isn’t going to help very much. He needs to work on getting faster, stronger and more athletic. On the flip side of the coin, if you have a guy who’s a physical specimen, strong andfast and explosive, but can’t shoot for shit… well then he’s got to spend more time on skills and less time working on his athletic qualities that already are great.

I do think that many young athletes (in any sport) spend way too much time in a competitive season and not enough time working on developing their athletic abilities. I see it all the time, a kid who has played his/her favorite sport year-round from the time they are 10, but once they get into 10th or 11th grade, they just aren’t athletic enough to hang with the strong/fast/explosive kids who only started playing in middle school, but are much better athletes.

“Speed kills”, and if you don’t have it naturally, you damn sure better be spending a ton of time in the offseason developing it.[/quote]

good post
what i meant by “2 days of light basketball” is to remind him not to kill himself on full court street ball games 7 days a week for the entire off seaon. Of course he can still spend a lot of time everyday on drills such as dribbling, shooting ect.

Where is Kobe4life who this post was originally for anyway?

Light Basketball, and drills are TOTALLY different. In fact ask most basketball players when they got hurt and it was when they were fooling around.

If your going to play light basketball with your friends for fun one day, fine. If your designing a training program to make yourself a better basketball player you do not work on light basketball game. With the exception of having fun, it is in fact more detrimental then helpful.

The average game you might touch the ball 15 times score shoot 15 baskets and dribble 50 seconds for a 15 minute game.
Practicing your sport you will do that in 2 minutes, if your good 1.

im going to do strength training for now to get my strength up. at the same time im gonna work on shooting and ball handling.

thats gonna be phase 1

after a few months im gonna start conditioning and doing more drills and going harder while still training for strength

thats phase 2

after that im gonna do heavy conditioning while maintaining my strength gains

[quote]digitalairair wrote:
what i meant by “2 days of light basketball” is to remind him not to kill himself on full court street ball games 7 days a week for the entire off seaon. Of course he can still spend a lot of time everyday on drills such as dribbling, shooting ect. [/quote]

Agreed. I knew what you meant, but I think some were misinterpreting.

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
The average game you might touch the ball 15 times score shoot 15 baskets and dribble 50 seconds for a 15 minute game.
Practicing your sport you will do that in 2 minutes, if your good 1.[/quote]

I agree with this. It is also why I think that putting too much emphasis on being in a competitive season is detrimental to athletes. In your competitive season, the goal of the coach is usually to make the team better and many coaches just use endless variations of “game situation” or scrimmage drills in which, as you said, the actual amount of repetitions performing the skills is limited.

Having a off-season where you can dedicate yourself to getting better athletically and learning the skills of the game will make the time you spend in your competitive season much more productive and you will have a much greater skill base to assimilate into the team setting.

[quote]jtrinsey wrote:
Airtruth wrote:
Practicing your sport you will do that in 2 minutes, if your good 1.

I agree with this. It is also why I think that putting too much emphasis on being in a competitive season is detrimental to athletes. In your competitive season, the goal of the coach is usually to make the team better and many coaches just use endless variations of “game situation” or scrimmage drills in which, as you said, the actual amount of repetitions performing the skills is limited.

Having a off-season where you can dedicate yourself to getting better athletically and learning the skills of the game will make the time you spend in your competitive season much more productive and you will have a much greater skill base to assimilate into the team setting.[/quote]

karl marlone never touch a bb in the offseason.

[quote]utfootball4 wrote:
karl marlone never touch a bb in the offseason.[/quote]

He’s too busy hunting for little Mexican girls.