The Oatmeal Solution?

I think I may have found a solution to those of us who love our oatmeal, yet are worried with CT’s article about how it is extremely allergenic, etc… raises cortisol, that whole thing…

Well Bob’s red Mill makes a gluten free oatmeal…

they make both rolled oats and steel cut oats.

So would this be a better alternative, that solves the cortisol dillemma associated with oats and allergies? I imagine it would be similar to quinoa in that we could consume these carbs safely at breakfast and post workout…

Any opinions?

We have bceen having oatmeal 5 days a week for as long as I can remember with no trouble. We did try to quinoa, and that will not be reappearing on our table. I think the misgivings about oatmeal are misplaced.

I’ve seen that - what I don’t undertand is, isn’t gluten inherently part of oatmeal?

Man, I’ve had oatmeal for breakfast every day for the past 5 years. NO allergies, and no cortisol induced atrophy. I think there are a lot of other things in our everyday diets and training to be worried about before we go after the oatmeal.

S

CT didn’t say it was extremely allergenic, he said some people may not know they have an allergy of some kind to oatmeal.

He cited Poliquin’s study of 6 clients.

I think folks just need to make that decision for themselves based on their own results. Berardi likes oatmeal and it is one of the super foods.

Let’s not just all jump on the ban-the-oatmeal bandwagon

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
CT didn’t say it was extremely allergenic, he said some people may not know they have an allergy of some kind to oatmeal.

I think folks just need to make that decision for themselves based on their own results. Berardi likes oatmeal and it is one of the super foods.

Let’s not just all jump on the ban-the-oatmeal bandwagon[/quote]

Great points above.

A statement such as oatmal = bad is hardly conclusive when

a) it wasnt even a study
b) So far CP is the only source im aware of that claims Oatmeal can raise cortisol
C) Even if ‘some’ of the oatmeal = bad is true, most US oatmeal is contaminated with wheat anyway - that might be your culprit.

Ill stick with my oats.

[quote]supermick wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

Let’s not just all jump on the ban-the-oatmeal bandwagon

Great points above.

A statement such as oatmal = bad is hardly conclusive when

a) it wasnt even a study
b) So far CP is the only source im aware of that claims Oatmeal can raise cortisol
C) Even if ‘some’ of the oatmeal = bad is true, most US oatmeal is contaminated with wheat anyway - that might be your culprit.

Ill stick with my oats.

[/quote]

with wheat???

I guess it is good I eat the McCann’s Irish oats

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

with wheat???

I guess it is good I eat the McCann’s Irish oats
[/quote]

I used to eat oats every day, usually twice per day. After some time I became very intolerant to wheat products, and the generic oats I ate caused me problems as well. I gave up wheat and oats for over a year, but decided to try oats again. The oats caused me problems, so I decided to go with McCann’s, which were completely problem free. I ran out and figured I’d try the regular oats again, and again had problems. I guess the point of the story is that McCann’s oats don’t have wheat contamination, provided that’s what was causing me problems.

I realize this is an old thread from November 2007, but I didn’t want to start a new one since there’s some good info and links above.

My confusion with the oatmeal/allergy/cortisol discussion is how do I know if I’m allergic to oatmeal? No one has detailed the allergy symptoms.

Over the past five years, I’ve used oatmeal as my primary source of fuel training for marathons three times a day - a total of 4.5 cups and felt fine. I was very lean at that time - could see my abs, etc…

Over the past four months, I’ve used oatmeal sparingly (.5 cup after morning cardio) as I’ve adapted my training goals around a calf injury. After reading about the possible allergic reactions/fat retention issues/cortisol, I’d like to try a new carb source once I begin running again.

Would yams be a smart choice? I’d be eating about 120 gr. carbs from the yams to replace the calories lost from the oatmeal. Any other choices?

I have to agree with OG above, like anything else, you’re just going to have to try it for yourself.

Maybe you’ll be intolerant to wheat, like SuperMick says, perhaps it’s just grains in general, maybe yams give you gas, or bad breath or who knows what?..no one can say -but you.

Have fun experimenting…
Who knows WHAT you’ll learn!

With all due respect, CP says a lot of things.

Large-Flake oats are an excellent carbohydrate source for bodybuilders and truly the majority of the population. If fat-asses were to replace their breakfast Pop-Tarts and Marshmallow fluff with a large bowl of oatmeal (minus the brown sugar) we’d see a lot of shrunken waist-lines.

Sure, some people MAY experience adverse effects from oatmeal, but it shouldn’t be vilified because of a minute proportion of “outliers”.

My bro can’t eat gluten and he’ll break out in a rash if eats the stuff. He’s the type of person that needs to steer clear from oatmeal. Me, on the other hand, have no problem and I eat it all the time.

Quinoa is the shit. i think it tastes 10x better. for me its quinoa over oatmeal hands down.

I too prefer quinoa over oats. Tastes great when mixed with a little splenda and cinnamon.

[quote]ktennies wrote:
i too prefer quinoa over oats. tastes great when mixed with a little splenda and cinnamon.[/quote]

thats funny, i take the opposite approach-some crushed red peppers, salt n pepper.
many ways to skin a cat.