T Nation

The Now or Never OL Competition Log

Today I really wanted to start training for my jerks (as in actually DOING jerks from the front). I expanded my home gym platform to 4’x8’ to 8x8’ (I really couldnt jerk with a four foot deep platform before). But after doing four sets with the bar and then two sets of 5x65, it was just not meant to be. My wrist and shoulder flexibility is just not there yet. The bar was just hovering over my chest with elbows down.

However, I wasnt going to just give up with that.
Behind the Neck push jerks:
2x5x65
2x3x80
2x3x92.5
3x2x102.5

OHS
3x5xbroomstick
3x5xbar
2x3x44
3x52

This workout is not worth reading but I am posting it anyway. I most keep pushing and pushing on my weak spots or their will be no competing for me. Doc

I had a downer couple of days followed by a great one today. After Sunday’s workout, lame as it was, I suffered severe spasms in my left neck, trap and shoulder area. I thought it was due to a couple of the reps of 102 in the push jerk coming down hard on my neck/upper back. So I had my usual left shoulder pain plus far more. I even wondered if I had pushed out a bulging disc I have in my cervical spine.

But today I finally got to see the REAL physical therapist I've been waiting to see, an active lifter and a real athlete's PT. He quickly diagnosed me as having severe tightness and spasm in my infraspinatus and subscapularis, and he worked my quite painful trigger points for half an hour. He has even done some Olympic lifting and he knew that the jerks and snatches were taking their toll on a shoulder joint really never totally healed from surgery. After his work he then put on this new fancy tape you see pro athletes have on nowdays, and then he asked me to go through the motions of my lifts. I couldnt believe it. The shoulder DID NOT hurt. I still had a neck/trap spasm, but the progress he made on my shoulder in 30 minutes was more than anything I or anyone else has done since I started my comeback the first time two years ago.

I am psyched...will be back in the gym tomorrow lifting.      Doc

You have my sympathy on the infraspinatus/subscap - I have the same kind of issues due to a load of scar tissue in that area. The way I keep it in check is to work on my posterior capsule with a lacrosse ball a few times a week, and with a med ball before and after each lifting session.

I also used to have some pretty serious glenohumeral internal rotation deficit on the left side, which is the side that was playing up, and the lacrosse ball work plus sleeper stretches and lower trap activation work helped fix that.

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
I had a downer couple of days followed by a great one today. After Sunday’s workout, lame as it was, I suffered severe spasms in my left neck, trap and shoulder area. I thought it was due to a couple of the reps of 102 in the push jerk coming down hard on my neck/upper back. So I had my usual left shoulder pain plus far more. I even wondered if I had pushed out a bulging disc I have in my cervical spine.

But today I finally got to see the REAL physical therapist I've been waiting to see, an active lifter and a real athlete's PT. He quickly diagnosed me as having severe tightness and spasm in my infraspinatus and subscapularis, and he worked my quite painful trigger points for half an hour. He has even done some Olympic lifting and he knew that the jerks and snatches were taking their toll on a shoulder joint really never totally healed from surgery. After his work he then put on this new fancy tape you see pro athletes have on nowdays, and then he asked me to go through the motions of my lifts. I couldnt believe it. The shoulder DID NOT hurt. I still had a neck/trap spasm, but the progress he made on my shoulder in 30 minutes was more than anything I or anyone else has done since I started my comeback the first time two years ago.

I am psyched...will be back in the gym tomorrow lifting.      Doc[/quote]

Thats f0cking awesome you found a PT that is KNOWS the requiremetns of the OLIfts on the body, as oppose to thinking your a bb.

Very encouraging news!

Koing

[quote]ninearms wrote:
You have my sympathy on the infraspinatus/subscap - I have the same kind of issues due to a load of scar tissue in that area. The way I keep it in check is to work on my posterior capsule with a lacrosse ball a few times a week, and with a med ball before and after each lifting session. I also used to have some pretty serious glenohumeral internal rotation deficit on the left side, which is the side that was playing up, and the lacrosse ball work plus sleeper stretches and lower trap activation work helped fix that.[/quote]
Thanks, you obviously have a handle on this thing. My PT also suggested getting a small ball of some type, like a tennis ball…but a lacrosse ball is harder, yes? (never played it). I have a foam roller but that only helps my large muscles. I will try the med ball too. I have so many stretches now I have to figure out which ones give me the most value vs. time and effort spent. Its hard trying to turn a old 260 lb block of semi-solid muscle into an Olympic athlete, but I’m getting closer. No box jumps for me though :slight_smile: Doc

Not an Oly lift input/question but have you thought about throwing again. Work on the explosiveness.

[quote]hel320 wrote:
Not an Oly lift input/question but have you thought about throwing again. Work on the explosiveness.[/quote]
I appreciate that you’re reading over here in the young bucks section Hel. My life is too crazy to lift AND throw, I can barely fit in the lifting, especially since with the stretching my workout time is now an hour and a half and will go to two hours when I can handle more volume.
However, you are on to something I have been thinking about…explosiveness and how to regain it. One thing I used to do that many of my other throwers and lifters were lazy about is run 40’s or run hills and stadium steps. I was not a naturally fast guy, but through really working on speed I got my 40 time down from 5.05 as a freshman to 4.67 my senior year. I know I need to go back to some sprint work as my leg explosiveness is very poor right now as evidenced by my lame jerks.
Thanks as always. Doc

I trained today, but forgive the “lack of focus” but sometimes I just have to do heavy deadlifts as therapy for shit going on in my life. There is no substitute for me. Plus the PT helped a bunch with my shoulder.
Let’s just say I enjoyed the workout and did a triple at 200 plus a few heavier ones. Doc

Worked out on four hours sleep in two days, but that’s why they make caffeine.

Front squats
Eight sets, finishing with 3x2x120

OHS
Seven sets, finishing with 1x70 PR! This is sort of comical, as this is a true PR since I never did OHS when I was young! That’s what happens when you don’t have an OL coach. I just snatched, and I can promise you I threw lots of weight all over the gym…in front, behind, on my head, etc.
Still “savagely” inflexible (Thanks, I love that term, Koing). But making tiny progress little by little. Doc

Did my shoulder rehab program designed by my new PT. Fairly basic but I like it…several specific stretches and then 3 sets 10 each with front, side, and rear laterals plus lying abduction raises. This actually “unfroze” my shoulder a bit as he said it would and made my power snatches a bit easier today.

2x5x45
3x55
3x60
3x60
3x65
3x70
3x75
2x80

The best news here is that ALL reps were fully locked out and my speed was significantly better.
Did four sets of explosive bench presses (my PT said this was a good idea twice a month.) Maybe, maybe not but it made me happy. Doc

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
Worked out on four hours sleep in two days, but that’s why they make caffeine.

Front squats
Eight sets, finishing with 3x2x120

OHS
Seven sets, finishing with 1x70 PR! This is sort of comical, as this is a true PR since I never did OHS when I was young! That’s what happens when you don’t have an OL coach. I just snatched, and I can promise you I threw lots of weight all over the gym…in front, behind, on my head, etc.
Still “savagely” inflexible (Thanks, I love that term, Koing). But making tiny progress little by little. Doc[/quote]

Never be worried about dropping weights all over the shop in the pursuit of correct form. I’d rather my lifters drop weights that they were trying to do well and fast as oppose to get weights caught high and either not go in to a full snatch or go down very slowly. This is a VERY VERY HARD thing to break. Lifters catching the weight high and riding it down. They get ‘comfy’ with where they catch the weight and weights caught lower are completely lost.

Every decent lifter has dropped 100’s of weights all over teh shop!

Rush slowly as my Gymnastics coach says!

oing

[quote]Koing wrote:
Every decent lifter has dropped 100’s of weights all over teh shop!
[/quote]

Bingo

My coach says if you’re not dropping weights or you’re always on, you’re probably not lifting very hard.