The Now or Never OL Competition Log

For those of you who don’t know me, I’m a 53 year old shrink who lifted a ton in college, came close to my dream of going to the Olympics, didn’t, and basically quit barbell lifting for thirty years and started a comeback at 50. I’m a natural powercleaner and within months I was back to 125kg, but everything else was weak.

Further, my legs are 20% paralyzed from an accident, I’ve had five surgeries to back and shoulders, I have arthritis and multi-organ endocrine disease, and I have no business doing OL at all.

Yet I love OL and can't give up my new dream of competing in and winning at least the American Master's OL, and then competing in international meets. I probably need 110/145 to do this. My flexibility is horrible and my max front squat is only about 125 right now, and I can push press maybe 130 from behind my neck but in front is very tough. Koing and others helped me a lot in the past and I accept any and all feedback as I never had a coach.

But I now have a good training set-up at home, I'm taking every supplement possible to help joints and recovery, and I have committed the next six months to either get competition ready or break something trying. My family and friends think I'm crazy, but this is my dream and its now or never. Doc

VERY nice mate :slight_smile:

Be religous on your stretching, do it EVERY SINGLE DAY and you will notice big improvements.

125kg is a big PC. Get the rest of your flexibility, strength and speed up and youll lift big weights :slight_smile:

Do lots of front squats and hold the bottom position (just the bar), it’ll enable you to squat deeper. Get lifting shoes asap!

Koing

Good luck shooting sir. be sure to eat your protein. stayin over 1.25g/lb of bodyweight is one of the most important things for me to be able to recover and grow through the intense training.

-chris

I must say that’s a bit inspiring. I can somewhat relate to your story although I never had a shot at the Olympics and don’t have your injuries. But I’m also a Masters lifter with crappy flexibility. I’ve been interested in the lifts off and on for the last 8 years, but never got into competitive OL because there was no OL club around.

Well, I finally found an OL club and now I’m back in it to compete. I constantly ask msyelf why I do this. I love OL and love the training, but let’s face it, it can get demanding with a job abd family. I wonder why I can’t just adopt a “reasonable” fitness plan like other people. Is there something wrong with me? I guess if a shrink thinks that getting back into OL is a good idea, it must be okay for me to do it as well! Seriously, best of luck to you and keep us posted.

[quote]MikeTheBear wrote:
I must say that’s a bit inspiring. I can somewhat relate to your story although I never had a shot at the Olympics and don’t have your injuries. But I’m also a Masters lifter with crappy flexibility. I’ve been interested in the lifts off and on for the last 8 years, but never got into competitive OL because there was no OL club around.

Well, I finally found an OL club and now I’m back in it to compete. I constantly ask msyelf why I do this. I love OL and love the training, but let’s face it, it can get demanding with a job abd family. I wonder why I can’t just adopt a “reasonable” fitness plan like other people. Is there something wrong with me? I guess if a shrink thinks that getting back into OL is a good idea, it must be okay for me to do it as well! Seriously, best of luck to you and keep us posted.[/quote]
This post is the kind of thing that makes me love T-Nation. Finding other nut jobs like me to make me feel sane! No, Mike, we are not doing the “sensible” thing, but we are doing something more important, what we love.
I would enjoy sharing info re this Master’s thing as I have zero knowledge about it other than the records i looked up.
Koing, I have shoes already! Sorry, that’s how inflexible I am. But I SWEAR I WILL STRETCH EVERY DAY OR GOD/MUHAMED?BUDDHA?ALEXEEV STRIKE ME DOWN!
Chris, I figured out the protein thing this year, and as a result I am carrying 260 pounds now reasonably solid as opposed to the 240 I carried two years ago. I was too worried about looking “pretty” back then. I have accepted superheavyweight lifters are ugly, especially old ones, so vanity is no longer a concern ROFL!
BTW, I am celebrating my 23rd anniversary tonight…to the SAME woman…Forgive me for no training tonight, but I will get cardio in! DOC

I’ve had two workouts since Friday. 25 minutes stretching before each.
A. Power snatches-seven sets, finishing with 2x2x75, 2x2x85
Behind Neck Push Presses-seven sets, finishing with 2x3x102
I had problems with lockouts on the last sets of both exercises…I would have gotten red lights on several reps probably. I can lock out almost anything that is close to “there”, but why I have that slow last 10% of the lockout is not something I had when I was young. I guess just another age thing but I think I need to stay at a training weight where I can be explosive with the lockout and NOT develop a bad habit. I can remember the agony of watching some great lifters lose a tremendous lift due to severe judging on lockouts.

B. OHS. My favorite. It took seven sets with broom, bar, and 40kg before I even was really able to get in position, even with my half inch board and shoes. However, I finally found a groove I could handle and then did two nice sets with 3x60. Still pathetic but progress.
Front squats. Did seven sets here, just gradual progression to 2x120. I know I need to get to doing four sets with 80% IRM but I am not there yet. My conditioning is so bad that after this workout I was sick for hours, my pulse and blood pressure were up and everything hurt.

I need to figure out the best workout schedule, but I know one thing for sure. OHS, Jerks/push presses, and front squats are the things I need to do before and above all else. I can pull a ton but it matters not until I can get these other things up a lot. Trouble is, I can’t say I love doing these things. Pulling is so much fun for me and doesnt tax my body or CNS. Doing just the above exercises right now just trashes me. Maybe I should just take one “tough” exercise and combine it with a pull (clean or snatch) and I would probably be less trashed and enjoy it more. I dont know, maybe I just need to tough it out like the above. I welcome input on this one. Doc

Nice to see you back doc. Probably stating the obvious here, but if you have lockout troubles, you are simply not pulling yourself far enough under the bar. Probably from insisting on a power snatch with weights that are not pulled high enough for a power snatch.

[quote]Carl Darby wrote:
Nice to see you back doc. Probably stating the obvious here, but if you have lockout troubles, you are simply not pulling yourself far enough under the bar. Probably from insisting on a power snatch with weights that are not pulled high enough for a power snatch.[/quote]
You mean its not OK to powersnatch with stiff legs?
Carl, I know this is about 80% of it, but I think I’ve been doing slow motion presses for so many years that even on lighter weights I saw a few unnecessary lockouts. Probably just need to lift within myself and focus on speed, speed, speed, and of course, technique. I am actually excited to do squat snatches again soon, maybe another few weeks of OHS and flexibility work and I’ll be there. Thanks for checking in. Doc

Well, I finally found an OL club and now I’m back in it to compete. I constantly ask msyelf why I do this. I love OL and love the training, but let’s face it, it can get demanding with a job abd family. I wonder why I can’t just adopt a “reasonable” fitness plan like other people. Is there something wrong with me? I guess if a shrink thinks that getting back into OL is a good idea, it must be okay for me to do it as well! Seriously, best of luck to you and keep us posted.[/quote]

Thats because YOU LOVE IT and you have that competitive streak in you and thats why you have to train and compete. It’s a drug and your a f0cking addict! :smiley:

[quote]Dr.PowerClean wrote:
MikeTheBear wrote:

Well, I finally found an OL club and now I’m back in it to compete. I constantly ask msyelf why I do this. I love OL and love the training, but let’s face it, it can get demanding with a job abd family. I wonder why I can’t just adopt a “reasonable” fitness plan like other people. Is there something wrong with me? I guess if a shrink thinks that getting back into OL is a good idea, it must be okay for me to do it as well! Seriously, best of luck to you and keep us posted.
This post is the kind of thing that makes me love T-Nation. Finding other nut jobs like me to make me feel sane! No, Mike, we are not doing the “sensible” thing, but we are doing something more important, what we love.
I would enjoy sharing info re this Master’s thing as I have zero knowledge about it other than the records i looked up.
Koing, I have shoes already! Sorry, that’s how inflexible I am. But I SWEAR I WILL STRETCH EVERY DAY OR GOD/MUHAMED?BUDDHA?ALEXEEV STRIKE ME DOWN!
Chris, I figured out the protein thing this year, and as a result I am carrying 260 pounds now reasonably solid as opposed to the 240 I carried two years ago. I was too worried about looking “pretty” back then. I have accepted superheavyweight lifters are ugly, especially old ones, so vanity is no longer a concern ROFL!
BTW, I am celebrating my 23rd anniversary tonight…to the SAME woman…Forgive me for no training tonight, but I will get cardio in! DOC

[/quote]

Congrats mate!

Koing

I’ve had two workouts since Friday. 25 minutes stretching before each.
A. Power snatches-seven sets, finishing with 2x2x75, 2x2x85
Behind Neck Push Presses-seven sets, finishing with 2x3x102
I had problems with lockouts on the last sets of both exercises…I would have gotten red lights on several reps probably. I can lock out almost anything that is close to “there”, but why I have that slow last 10% of the lockout is not something I had when I was young. I guess just another age thing but I think I need to stay at a training weight where I can be explosive with the lockout and NOT develop a bad habit. I can remember the agony of watching some great lifters lose a tremendous lift due to severe judging on lockouts.

B. OHS. My favorite. It took seven sets with broom, bar, and 40kg before I even was really able to get in position, even with my half inch board and shoes. However, I finally found a groove I could handle and then did two nice sets with 3x60. Still pathetic but progress.
Front squats. Did seven sets here, just gradual progression to 2x120. I know I need to get to doing four sets with 80% IRM but I am not there yet. My conditioning is so bad that after this workout I was sick for hours, my pulse and blood pressure were up and everything hurt.

I need to figure out the best workout schedule, but I know one thing for sure. OHS, Jerks/push presses, and front squats are the things I need to do before and above all else. I can pull a ton but it matters not until I can get these other things up a lot. Trouble is, I can’t say I love doing these things. Pulling is so much fun for me and doesnt tax my body or CNS. Doing just the above exercises right now just trashes me. Maybe I should just take one “tough” exercise and combine it with a pull (clean or snatch) and I would probably be less trashed and enjoy it more. I dont know, maybe I just need to tough it out like the above. I welcome input on this one. Doc[/quote]

The OHS and the behind the neck presses are messing you up because it’s the flexibility and not the strength. Your time under tension is IMMENSE and more so due to your flexibility issues at the moment. This will be tough going for at least 2-3months at least imo. ONCE over this stage you can and will comfortably do an OHS with any weight :slight_smile:

Just keep at it and rock it :wink:

A very good stretch a mate told me is like a goblet squat but sit in a deep squat, have your hands grab your toes and SIT UPRIGHT, ass down INBETWEEN YOUR legs, do this at the start of your training after the dynamic stretches and at the end. This will help keep your trunk upright and get you feeling comfortable in this position which is the building block for the Clean and Snatch receive positions.

Koing

Koing

[quote]Koing wrote:

The OHS and the behind the neck presses are messing you up because it’s the flexibility and not the strength. Your time under tension is IMMENSE and more so due to your flexibility issues at the moment.

Koing[/quote]
This one sentence exactly describes my experience. “Time under tension is immense.” I thought about this…there is no equivalent in any other lifting I have done, powerlifting is easy, bodybuilding is easier yet. The only thing I can remember that simulates this is when I was on the wrestling team in high school. There, the constant pressure of full body muscular contraction, twisting and leveraging, and eventually lactic acid fatigue made six minutes on the mat seem IMMENSELY difficult. It did get better with conditioning and flexibility, although I never loved the sport as much as weightlifting.
I will continue to work DILIGENTLY on flexibility…I bought a foam roller, a PT stretch band, and a 15 lb padded bar which I like for shoulder stretching…the knobs at the end are right at my snatch position. I found laying on the foam roller on my thoracic spine and slightly hyperextending this little snatch bar really loosens up my upper body.
I do think I want to mix up on “high tension” exercise with a pull series each workout. I think this will keep me fresh and allow me to get in 5 workouts a week. Doc

I just wanted to chime in and tell you how inspiring I find this. I believe you can make it.

Good luck!

Well, I may catch shit for what I did today, but the thread is not called Now or Never for nothing.

I looked up the Florida Weightlifting Federation, and I discovered the State Meet is in November, and they just added a Master’s Division. I looked up the qualifying total for supers and it is 207 (just one class, over 35). You have to have qualified beforehand of course but they have a qualifier meet nearby in two weeks, so I decided to see if I could make that total today in a simulated meet.

Of course, mind you, everything would be a power-blank (powersnatch, powerclean), and I havent done a jerk yet in training. In fact I havent been flexible enough to have the bar sit on my chest and shoulders until just recently. Nevertheless, me being me...

Snatch
1x80
0x87
1x87
Clean and Jerk
0x102 (hit my chin!!!)
1x102
0x112 (cleaned it of course but not close on jerk)

So I am not ready for this meet. I’m a little bummed but this does not derail me at all. It was fun just to simulate a meet, I havent done this in my post 50 comeback until today.

The left shoulder is the main problem body wise, still hurting on the heavier lifts. The jerk into the chin was quite a ridiculous thing…I think I did this once when I was 16 and not since.

Anyway, after a few days to rest the shoulder I'll be back to normal training. BTW, the stretching has helped my other ailing bodypart, my right wrist...it didnt hurt at all today.                    Doc

Well, I may catch shit for what I did today, but the thread is not called Now or Never for nothing.

I looked up the Florida Weightlifting Federation, and I discovered the State Meet is in November, and they just added a Master’s Division. I looked up the qualifying total for supers and it is 207 (just one class, over 35). You have to have qualified beforehand of course but they have a qualifier meet nearby in two weeks, so I decided to see if I could make that total today in a simulated meet.

Of course, mind you, everything would be a power-blank (powersnatch, powerclean), and I havent done a jerk yet in training. In fact I havent been flexible enough to have the bar sit on my chest and shoulders until just recently. Nevertheless, me being me...

Snatch
1x80
0x87
1x87
Clean and Jerk
0x102 (hit my chin!!!)
1x102

So I am not ready for this meet. I’m a little bummed but this does not derail me at all. It was fun just to simulate a meet, I havent done this in my post 50 comeback until today.

The left shoulder is the main problem body wise, still hurting on the heavier lifts. The jerk into the chin was quite a ridiculous thing…I think I did this once when I was 16 and not since.

Anyway, after a few days to rest the shoulder I'll be back to normal training. BTW, the stretching has helped my other ailing bodypart, my right wrist...it didnt hurt at all today.                    Doc[/quote]

Dude, quit sampling the psychotropic medications that are meant for your patients. You’ve just gotten back into OL - you ain’t gonna be meet-ready in two weeks!

Those are very respectable numbers, especially for power versions. They’re better than mine, anyway. You seem to be progressing quite well.

Dr.PowerClean wrote:

Snatch
1x80
0x87
1x87
Clean and Jerk
0x102 (hit my chin!!!)
1x102

Anyway, after a few days to rest the shoulder I'll be back to normal training. BTW, the stretching has helped my other ailing bodypart, my right wrist...it didnt hurt at all today.                    Doc

Dude, quit sampling the psychotropic medications that are meant for your patients. You’ve just gotten back into OL - you ain’t gonna be meet-ready in two weeks!

Those are very respectable numbers, especially for power versions. They’re better than mine, anyway. You seem to be progressing quite well.[/quote]

Mike, that was too kind. You didn’t even give me shit about the chin music. Of course I didn’t feel it because of the 20 Oxycontin I took before lifting.

Chin music - been there, done that.

Glad the flexibility is getting better. Keep at it and keep lifting. You’ll be at the Masters soon enough buddy!

Koing

Today, back at it. The usual boring stretching plus
Front Squats
2x5x65
3x80
3x100
2x115
2x125
This last set represented good progress for me. Shoulder was still gimpy so I almost called it a day. I had planned to do OHS second, instead of first. Indeed, I tried two sets with the bar and found my position was easier to get into today than previously. THis was exciting! I got carried away and then tried a set with 65 and did one painful rep (everywhere) and called it a day. Doc

Nice squats Doc!

The flexibility issues are coming around mate :slight_smile:

Koing

Today I needed a low stress workout as I was toast from a hard week at work. So I decided to do just pulls, and nothing lower than a triple.
20’ stretching

Snatch grip pulls (to pec height)
2x5x65
5x80
3x92
3x102
3x102

Clean pulls (to belt buckle)
5x102
5x125
3x152
3x160
3x170

5x185 Sorry, just deadlifts here, but they felt like fast deadlifts at least.

My pull strength felt very good today even though my legs were still sore from Wednesday. So today was mostly back and traps, and I felt it there by the end. But this workout was perfect for me…no stress on mind or body despite some decent tonnage (do you guys still use that word???..I’m so old :)) Doc