The Nineties: When the Gene Pool Was at Its Finest

[quote]Blackiebluewings wrote:
levrone and flex are probably the most underrated bodybuilders of all time.[/quote]

There are a few others, but yes, those guys are at the top of my list as well.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
1993 arnold classic posedown - YouTube Check this damn lineup out: Labrada, Matarazzo, Dillet, Vince Taylor, Flex! I forgot the name of the sixth guy. Anybody?[/quote]
Soony Schmidt

Don Long

Good thread here, man. I’m so used to the well-worn debate about today’s physiques vs. those of the 70’s that I was taken aback…the 90’s already!! Damn.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
No bloating, few GH guts, few moon faces, and little Palumboism. Not to mention, the physiques from then were just more blessed by Mother Nature.
[/quote]

LOL. You’re quite right about everything man, except it has nothing to do with genetics. I mean you said it yourself: “No bloating, few GH guts, few moon faces, and little Palumboism”. Mother Nature isn’t responsible for any of that shit lol.

It’s about how the target physique has evolved into the freak show it is today and the methods these guys use to get there. You could take the “genetically superior” guys from the 90’s and completely fuck them up just as badly as the freakiest looking BBer today if they were doing what guys are now. And vice versa, take the top BBer’s from today and say they were born a decade or two earlier, with the goals and training and supplementation from the 90’s they’d look a lot more like the people you think have a better gene pool.

It could just be my eyes…

Individual muscle groups seem to be larger today; biceps are bigger, glutes are bigger, etc. I would guess that the emphasis on line-ups in contests drives this… since the judges have a direct side-by-side comparison of size, both overall and with respect to comparing muscle groups.

But proportions like shoulder-to-waist ratio have gotten much worse over the years. You can definitely see this when comparing photos of individual competitors in isolation. Without someone standing next to him, most guys look “bigger” with proportionately wider shoulders.

I think if there were more emphasis put toward individual posing routines – from a scoring standpoint – this would probably start a trend back toward more aesthetic physiques.

[quote]csulli wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
No bloating, few GH guts, few moon faces, and little Palumboism. Not to mention, the physiques from then were just more blessed by Mother Nature.
[/quote]

LOL. You’re quite right about everything man, except it has nothing to do with genetics. I mean you said it yourself: “No bloating, few GH guts, few moon faces, and little Palumboism”. Mother Nature isn’t responsible for any of that shit lol.

It’s about how the target physique has evolved into the freak show it is today and the methods these guys use to get there. You could take the “genetically superior” guys from the 90’s and completely fuck them up just as badly as the freakiest looking BBer today if they were doing what guys are now. And vice versa, take the top BBer’s from today and say they were born a decade or two earlier, with the goals and training and supplementation from the 90’s they’d look a lot more like the people you think have a better gene pool.[/quote]

The good example of the evolution of the freakyness is the change in Flex’s body, he started just looking ridiculous eventually trying to keep up with Coleman.

As I have to restrict myself to the 90s I’m going with Lee Haney. Before the era of the mass monsters he had it all, with a physique that looked like it came from the gym and not a bottle.

Labrada was one of my favorites growing up. He had an AWESOME build.

[quote]BrickHead wrote:
1993 arnold classic posedown - YouTube Check this damn lineup out: Labrada, Matarazzo, Dillet, Vince Taylor, Flex! I forgot the name of the sixth guy. Anybody?[/quote]

JJ Marsh

[quote]IamMarqaos wrote:

[quote]BrickHead wrote:

JJ Marsh[/quote]

Oh right! Thanks for that! I know the face, but couldn’t remember the name.

Aaron Baker - Criminally underrated.

Thierry Pastel - Short, but pretty.

Damn good choices, IH.

I remember them both and recently wondered where they disappeared to.

Can we have the Ernie Taylor discussion or would that be too much of a hijack?

Implants, synthol, or Tom Platz-of-triceps genetics?

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Can we have the Ernie Taylor discussion or would that be too much of a hijack?

Implants, synthol, or Tom Platz-of-triceps genetics?[/quote]

Most of the BB world seems to think it’s synthol, which is what it looks like to me. I read that he used it in his quads too.

Synthol i’d say, the triceps look like they just wanna drip with oil haha

[quote]imhungry wrote:
Aaron Baker - Criminally underrated.[/quote]

Thats a ridiculously awesome photo. Looks surreal.

1998 olympia

ps: photo doesn’t show…