The NFL is Letting Me Down

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe you guys will finally realize that football is a really boring sport. I’d have to say I find football even more boring than baseball. The only time football is ever exciting is in the movies.[/quote]

No. There are still plenty of exciting games, and the sport itself is fun to watch. A down year for the NFL is still vastly superior to an MLB season as far as watchability. If you don’t like long pregame shows, you could try doing what everyone else does, and start watching when the game begins.

awwww the NFL is no fun now just because the Giants are the best team out there?

Don’t cry.

The big thing that is pissing me off this year are the fines and penalties for “unnecessary roughness.” A safety for the Giants was penalized last night for blowing up Mewelde Moore on a wheel route a split second after he dropped the ball. He didn’t launch himself or lead with his head. It was a clean hit and a terrible penalty call.

Last week, an NFL VP said that Hines Ward’s block on Keith Rivers was “unnecessary but legal…for now.” First of all, the block sprung Matt Spaeth for a first down. If he doesn’t make the hit, Rivers makes the tackle and the Steelers punt. Second, if they make that illegal, what are downfield blockers supposed to do, yell at the defender to get their attention first?

This is all an effort to “protect the players” (read: protect league interests). But all it’s really doing is inserting a ridiculous amount of penalties into the game. Hard hits are a part of the game, and I don’t see how the league can market and promote big hits with one hand and chastise the players that deliver them with the other.

I thought Goodell was on the right track at first, but he’s looking more and more like a complete fucking retard that knows nothing about football.

EDIT: I forgot the love tap by Terrell Suggs on Kerry Collins that resulted in a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down, which eventually led to the go-ahead score for Tennessee. The officiating crew stole a win from Baltimore there.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
SSC wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe you guys will finally realize that football is a really boring sport. I’d have to say I find football even more boring than baseball. The only time football is ever exciting is in the movies.

That being said…GO CHIEFS!!! I’m so glad we are spending more money to keep the Royals and Chiefs from leaving KC cause it would be shame for them to be gone.

You say football is boring… and you’re a Chiefs fan.

Hold on, let me say this out loud again.

You’re a CHIEFS fan, and you said football is boring…

I think I’m missing something here.

Learn to pickup sarcasm u moron.

Let’s see the Chiefs have lost every game but 1 and I’m happy to spend more tax money on them and the Royals so they don’t leave KC. That sounds straight up retarded because who would want to have to pay money to keep losing teams? Have fun pondering that over…tylenol for any headaches midol for any cramps.

No one picked up the sarcasm
Good try though[/quote]

Kind of what I was thinking… If that was sarcasm, I’d hate to see what his humor is like.

Speaking of — Wow, a Midol joke. That’s original.

[quote]SSC wrote:
BONEZ217 wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
SSC wrote:
GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
Maybe you guys will finally realize that football is a really boring sport. I’d have to say I find football even more boring than baseball. The only time football is ever exciting is in the movies.

That being said…GO CHIEFS!!! I’m so glad we are spending more money to keep the Royals and Chiefs from leaving KC cause it would be shame for them to be gone.

You say football is boring… and you’re a Chiefs fan.

Hold on, let me say this out loud again.

You’re a CHIEFS fan, and you said football is boring…

I think I’m missing something here.

Learn to pickup sarcasm u moron.

Let’s see the Chiefs have lost every game but 1 and I’m happy to spend more tax money on them and the Royals so they don’t leave KC. That sounds straight up retarded because who would want to have to pay money to keep losing teams? Have fun pondering that over…tylenol for any headaches midol for any cramps.

No one picked up the sarcasm
Good try though

Kind of what I was thinking… If that was sarcasm, I’d hate to see what his humor is like.

Speaking of — Wow, a Midol joke. That’s original.[/quote]

Not a fan of the film Tommy Boy, are you?

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
Kreal7 wrote:
College football is better.

Option left, option right, 5 yard pass, scrambling white quarterbacks. [/quote]

You haven’t watched in about 20 years, eh?

DB

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
The big thing that is pissing me off this year are the fines and penalties for “unnecessary roughness.” A safety for the Giants was penalized last night for blowing up Mewelde Moore on a wheel route a split second after he dropped the ball. He didn’t launch himself or lead with his head. It was a clean hit and a terrible penalty call.

Last week, an NFL VP said that Hines Ward’s block on Keith Rivers was “unnecessary but legal…for now.” First of all, the block sprung Matt Spaeth for a first down. If he doesn’t make the hit, Rivers makes the tackle and the Steelers punt. Second, if they make that illegal, what are downfield blockers supposed to do, yell at the defender to get their attention first?

This is all an effort to “protect the players” (read: protect league interests). But all it’s really doing is inserting a ridiculous amount of penalties into the game. Hard hits are a part of the game, and I don’t see how the league can market and promote big hits with one hand and chastise the players that deliver them with the other.

I thought Goodell was on the right track at first, but he’s looking more and more like a complete fucking retard that knows nothing about football.

EDIT: I forgot the love tap by Terrell Suggs on Kerry Collins that resulted in a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down, which eventually led to the go-ahead score for Tennessee. The officiating crew stole a win from Baltimore there.[/quote]

This I agree with of all the complaints about the season so far. The roughing the QB rules have always been iffy, and there have been tons of bs judgement roughing calls in past years so I’ll skip that and move to the “blind side” blocking stuff. I thought that was football? No more than a year ago you’d hear nothing but praise for Hines Ward for being one of the few receivers willing to sell himself out to spring a run on a key downfield block. Perhaps linebackers and safeties should stop tunnel visioning and look out for people doing their job, QBs have to do the same thing or they get smashed too.

I’d also like to put some extra emphasis on one part of your post:

Big highlight reel hits are, in my opinion, the most exciting part of the game, not just a part of it in general. That’s not to say I don’t appreciate watching skilled plays like Steve Smith’s ridiculous tight rope walk yesterday, but for neutral fans just watching a game for the sake of watching the game, nothing gets dudes at a bar out of their stools faster than a decleating block/tackle. As long as you keep your head down to prevent concussions I see nothing wrong with it(helmet to helmet hits and horsecollars are rightfully being cracked down on).

EDIT: I forgot the love tap by Terrell Suggs on Kerry Collins that resulted in a 15 yard penalty on 3rd down, which eventually led to the go-ahead score for Tennessee. The officiating crew stole a win from Baltimore there.[/quote]

Goodell has a very difficult job, as will anybody coming after him. Football as big as it is seems to keep growing, with multiple channels a day focusing on everything football, you have people screaming about how bad the quality of life is for ex players, it’s very easy to get clouded between what will help the players and what will hurt the game.

This whole business with Pacman, and wouldn’t have made it past the local news 20 years ago. Most people outside of Texas didn’t even know Michael Irvin got busted before he was on TV. This is just what happens when you have 20 different sports channels plus one that concentrate only on football.

[quote]red04 wrote:
As long as you keep your head down to prevent concussions I see nothing wrong with it(helmet to helmet hits and horsecollars are rightfully being cracked down on).[/quote]

The fact that this even has to be said pisses me off to no end. Polamalu hit it right on the head. They’re trying to turn football into a pansy game.

Like it or not, helmet to helmet hits are a part of the game, too. THAT’S WHY THEY WEAR THE FUCKING THINGS! If you want to stop helmet to helmet hits, bring back the leather helmets with no facemask. The players know that they have a far better chance of getting their bell rung when they stick their nose in there, but you do what you have to do.

As far as horsecollars go, sometimes that’s all you have to grab. I’m amazed that everyone in the league wasn’t a cripple before that was outlawed. Pretty soon the only place you’ll be allowed to hit someone will be right in the numbers. There will be a hitting strike zone, just like in baseball, only if the defender is high or low it’ll be 15 yards and a $10,000 fine. Fucking bullshit.

As a fan, i see nothing wrong with this season so far except for the fact my team is under performing. There seems to be more parity in the league this year which seems to be making every sunday interesting. After the Bills beat the Chargers people were riding high on the Bills. But now the Dolphins just beat them yesterday so it seems like anything can happen sunday. Hell the Chiefs even almost won a game again.

You guys have to remember that players are getting stronger and faster and that injuries seem to be popping up more.

If any thing the fans a the let down! Guess what?

NO ONE GIVES A FCUK ABOUT YOU GOD DAMN FANTACY TEAM!

And how about being a real fan and not shitting on your team or your head coach when its your owner and GM that is fucking up your team. For all you Cowboy fans here is whats wrong…

#1 As good as TO is he is a cry baby and has shit on every team he ever played for.

#2 To trade for and bring in a player who is suspended is both ethically and morally wrong. AND you did it not once but twice!

#3 How can you blame a head coach that has no pull, no clout and no say what so ever?

As far as the “bad” calls by the officials you still have to play the game. The Chargers are not the team they where and still should have beaten Denver regardless of the call, both teams should have gotten a tick in the lose column for that sorry ass game! The Panthers got hosed on a call the very next week by the same official and still won the game.

Loosing is apart of any game it happens get over it! You want any team to be able to beat any other team, that is what makes it worth watching. I dont want to see something that is decided b4 the first snap

As far as horsecollars go, sometimes that’s all you have to grab. I’m amazed that everyone in the league wasn’t a cripple before that was outlawed. Pretty soon …[/quote]

… it will be NFFL: National Flag Football League

Nannyism has spread from government to professional sports.

[quote]Himora22 wrote:

As far as the “bad” calls by the officials you still have to play the game. The Chargers are not the team they where and still should have beaten Denver regardless of the call, both teams should have gotten a tick in the lose column for that sorry ass game!

[/quote]

It’s kind of hard to understand your writing, but i don’t see how you could call that game a “sorry ass game”. That was one of the most exciting games of the year so far. I don’t see why both teams should get a LOSS for it.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Himora22 wrote:

As far as the “bad” calls by the officials you still have to play the game. The Chargers are not the team they where and still should have beaten Denver regardless of the call, both teams should have gotten a tick in the lose column for that sorry ass game!

It’s kind of hard to understand your writing, but i don’t see how you could call that game a “sorry ass game”. That was one of the most exciting games of the year so far. I don’t see why both teams should get a LOSS for it.[/quote]

If that was a good game then lets cut all the rosters in half and only have Offence on the field b/c thats what it felt like watching that game. I’ll take a 10-7 game over a 37-34 game ever day. But thats me.

Defense may be what wins teams championships but a high flying offense is always fun to watch.

You think you would know this being a Carolina fan. The Panthers are a hell of a lot more exciting when Steve Smith plays and gets the ball. The guy can turn a ten yard catch into a fifty yard touchdown with ease.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
Defense may be what wins teams championships but a high flying offense is always fun to watch.

You think you would know this being a Carolina fan. The Panthers are a hell of a lot more exciting when Steve Smith plays and gets the ball. The guy can turn a ten yard catch into a fifty yard touchdown with ease.[/quote]

I get what your saying and I love it when Smith makes a big play. But when it happens every other play it stops being amazing and becomes the norm. But when they win 34-0 like they did against KC I stop watching b4 the end of the 3rd b/c the game is over. Sure Ill flip is back to check on the score b/c you never know what will happen but until it does Ill be doing something else. With that Monday night game it stops being â¿¿Wow! What a great play.â¿¿ to â¿¿Wow! I cant believe they gave up another touch down.â¿¿

Also look at all these rules we are getting too protect the “big play”. A few years ago The Colts cry foul b/c the DBs were playing to rough with their WRs. Then with the horse collar rule, you better hope you can trip the guy if he breaks a big one. Lastly the plethora of rules we now have to keep the QB safe.

I dont really care all that much about these one way or the other but alot of ppl seem to. And these rules arent there for player safety (fuck no!) they are there for big play safety! B/c some how lots of points = exciting to watch and exciting to watch = lots of money and money makes the world go round.

That’s just the way it is, points equals excitement. This recent Super Bowl got really exciting in the 4th quarter when the teams started moving the ball and making big plays. The only previous Super Bowl i liked since then was Pats against the Panthers. The 2nd half of that game got really exciting to watch.

Bring back World League…

[quote]msd0060 wrote:
This season has truly sucked so far. [/quote]

Because DAL is banged up and T Brady is on the shelf?

This season is fine and very wide open, which is prob how the NFL wants it