The Next President of the United States: IV

As usual, your reading comprehension is atrocious - the point is, we take in immigrants and always have, and a result, that’s our culture. Someone like Raj claiming allowing lots of immigrants is an aberration is wholly incorrect, and hypocritical to boot - what Raj wants is a change in our culture, not a reversion to a historic norm, as he tries to claim.

If immigrants aren’t assimiliating as well as they should be, that’s a different issue.

I agree with you that it is not the same thing. I also agree that there are expectations that they should meet. I’m trying to figure out what you think are acceptable expectations really.

That can be set as a litmus test though. See that’s the thing: doing this can lead to some of the very pitfalls you were talking about, so be careful what you’re proposing here.

I do believe we have some classes on this now, although I am not certain.

Immigration must be a slow and deliberate process, and the more diametrically opposed the cultures are, the slower it must be. When you don’t handle immigration in a responsible manner, you get what’s happening in Europe. Instead of a healthy absorption of immigrants, you get backlash from the locals.

You are also ignoring the strain on resources and infrastructure that taxpayers may not feel compelled to pay for. Schools, roads, hospitals, jails, all of these are burdened if immigration is not done at healthy pace.

I will point out that within a decade of immigration in California, 70% of new immigrants went on the dole while only 1.5% were tax filers. I know I know, I hate brown, black, yellow, red, even 3-eyed Martians.

2 Likes

I think this generally a good idea - but I might require the test 90 days after getting here, and the 90 days is probationary. That gives immigrants a chance to immerse and get resources to learn English, but puts them on a short time frame to put the burden on them to get serious about learning the language.

1 Like

Wrong again TB, you have a knack for that it seems.

Your statement above speaks to those who came to the US and blended in to our culture. The most recent illegals have NOT done so.

That is something that you need to wrap your head around if that is possible.

We all know you will never admit that you are wrong that has never happened.

The early immigrants did not ruin American culture they helped build it. Can’t say that about today’s folks can we?

I think the bar should be pretty low, honestly. Let them come here and lets see what they can do. If they don’t contribute or they break the law then send them back.

1 Like

I’m not really in love with an English test and I’m talking like GED level here. At any rate, I think an appropriate amount of time should be given for said test and I also think it should only be a part of the overall assessment.

Trump wants to implement an ideological test for immigrants

You mean like the German-Americans who set up German speaking schools and declared neutrality in WWII? Your revisionist history is as awful as analysis of court opinions.

But that’s an aside - you’re talking about something different than the point I am making re: Raj and these silly forms of nativism.

You think a lot of modern immigrants don’t assimilate like they should, like immigrants of yore? Fine. Different issue. That doesn’t change the fact that America is a pro-immigration country and suddenly shutting immigrants out of the US in the way Raj suggests would be a departure from our traditional values.

I’ve explained this multiple times, not interested in doing it again.

Raj - hilariously, a non-voting guest in our country, enjoying the fruits of America by virtue of government program - thinks we need to change our policy to stop letting immigrants in the country. That would indeed be a change, a big departure, so his attempts to say things like “this is American!” or “this is what the Founding Fathers intended!” is absurd.

And exploring the reasons why these nativists want to limit or basically stop immigration - as opposed to wanting to continue letting immigrants in, just require that they better assimilate - is what I was doing.

And sorry, I’m just not all that interested in your perspective. Thanks anyway.

Dumb as a bag of hair.

1 Like

No, I mean like the many Irish, Italian and other immigrants who blended in so well with their new country that they learned the language immediately, without a test!

Wrong again same issue!. You are the one who brought it up first. You said that this is what American is all about. Scroll back oh memory deficient one.

I simply pointed out to you that the immigrants of yesterday were a different breed entirely.

1 Like

Sure you are that’s why you continue respond…not very well but at lest you try.

Do people here believe Trump is worse than Hillary?

Because they assimilated out of necessity.

Enjoy your one party country if Trump loses

It’s a lot easier to assimilate when you are from compatible cultures

For anyone with a 101 understanding of the relationship between American interests, American values, and the American made world order that has served the world so well over the course of the last seventy years, yes.

As I have said on other threads if anyone thinks that Hillary will serve their interests think again:

-Infringement on first amendment rights. What will the left wing judges do that Hillary appoints? They will all be anti 1st you can bet on that.

-Higher taxes. She needs to do this to keep the dredges of society that have learned not to work and simply collect a free government pay check happy. She keeps them happy they keep voting democrat.

-More pandering to those able to work but don’t have to because big government democrats will coddle them from cradle to grave. Like the great war on poverty democrat President Johnson launched back in 1964 that created the mess we are currently in. What did he create? 78% of black children grow up without a father in the house. If Mom needs more money simply pop out another kid. And it’s all races doing it. it’s so easy. Obama has made that worse and Hillary will add to it.

-The world is a mess since Obama took over I have no doubt that Hillary will continue to lead form behind. She has a poor track record as SOS. Give her the opportunity and she will really demonstrate her powers of failure.

-She’ll make more great decisions like private emails with the server sitting in her bathroom. More money flowing into the Clinton Foundation for special favors to questionable people across the globe.

-And of course we can look forward to more scandal the ensuing investigations.