The Next President of the United States: IV

Wait, wait, wait - you’re not even voting in 2016?

Indirectly I have a vote in a swing state too

No, race shouldn’t be the only thing taken into account. Things like health, education, skills, and financial sustainability should be included in the equation.

If we did that, we would find the the statistics come down racial lines. Which begs the question…are facts racist ?

I have to agree with Raj that machines would be utilized in this area most likely, but if people had to be used, the cost couldn’t be too high as most people won’t pay $10 for a head of lettuce.

Illegal immigration always has been about cheap labor and massive corporate profit. Fro the link I provided…

“Based on a supply and demand model, Borjas found an increased supply of immigrants competing in the U.S. job market does produce a net gain for current U.S. workers of about $50 billion a year. But that small gain in the context of an $18 trillion economy is far outweighed by a transfer of wealth from U.S. workers to the businesses that hire those immigrants that amounts to $500 billion dollars.”

I can’t stop laughing. An immigrant trying to be an anti-immigrant nativist who isn’t even eligible to vote lecturing the rest of us on how American values, culture, and immigration should be. Comedy gold.

2 Likes

Slow down, you answered a question I didn’t ask. I wanted to know should race be a factor at all. You said race shouldn’t be the only factor, but I read you to mean that part of taking stock does means assessing race.

I want to make sure I don’t misunderstand you - you do think we need to look at race, correct?

If you saw what Raj must go through to earn his citizenship, the last thing you would do is laugh. Asking someone to follow the law is not anti-immigrant, even Mexico deports it’s illegal aliens. That is their choice since it’s their border. You are inventing a hysteria where there is no reason to.

Race is not an issue with me, the other factors I mentioned are. It so happens that doing that still comes down along racial lines.

Raj is not interested in people following the law nearly as much as he wants the law to change to reflect new values. Recognizing that isn’t hysteria, not is recognizing the absurdity of the positions he has taken.

So race should not be a factor?

[quote=“MaximusB, post:1571, topic:218984, full:true”]

I have to agree with Raj that machines would be utilized in this area most likely, but if people had to be used, the cost couldn’t be too high as most people won’t pay $10 for a head of lettuce. [/quote]

How do you know?

Food prices is actually a really big concern to me. For example-

http://www.eatyourkimchi.com/cost-of-living-in-korea/

I posted that just for the grocery prices.

Produce and meat are fucking expensive in S. Korea. IIRC, this is because you have very little farmers/ever increasing demand/not a lot of arable land to begin with.

My mom just told me a couple of days ago that a watermelon is now 20 USD in Korea. 20 USD!!! For a watermelon!

Holy fuck!

Do not underestimate the cheapness of produce and meat in the U.S.

If the big agriculture companies do manage to automate the process sufficiently to ensure prices are low, then fine.

But I am ambivalent on mass deporting illegal immigrants if nothing else than for this. Paying people enough money for them to voluntarily pick produce can do nothing but increase price of said produce, and you have to be careful with this. The increase in price may do more damage than whatever you gained in kicking out the illegal labor that pretty much keeps the CA agriculture scene alive and kicking.

But this shouldn’t matter, since those firms will either be taxed accordingly by the government or be able to spend its profits in such a manner that the economy benefits, ya?

Also, can anyone clarify whether we’re talking about immigration in general being ultimately detrimental to the U.S., or illegal immigration?

It doesn’t matter.

If you select for the smartest immigrants and ignore race you will get disproportionate amount coming from certain groups.

No different than med school which selects for the smartest people

Meat is only cheap in the US due to agricultural subsidies. It takes 6 pounds of corn to produce 1 pound of beef.

Legal immigration and amount of people let in.

[quote=“magick, post:1579, topic:218984, full:true”]
But this shouldn’t matter, since those firms will either be taxed accordingly by the government or be able to spend its profits in such a manner that the economy benefits, ya?[/quote]

The government spending money has the opposite effect on the economy.

Having the government tax and spend money is the equivalent of taking blood from your leg and injecting it into your arm while spilling a bunch of blood in the process.

But you’re not answering the question either.

Should we make race a factor? You take the position we know in advance some races are smarter than others (per your previous post), so we should be able to knock out a “who’s in, who’s out” list in devising an immigration policy.

You agree we should do that, right?

No select for the smartest and most ambitious.

TB,

No, I don’t think using race as a stand alone factor should be our policy, but if we apply “the best and the brightest” horseshit that bureaucrats hint at, our immigration policy would fall along racial lines.

Some immigrants perform better than others, I understand this may have you laying on my fainting couch, but it’s true and the data supports it. We do not see the same problems from those from Asia, Europe, and the Middle East as those who come from Latin America.

At what point is taking in so many people enough TB ? When is enough enough ? How many should we let in ? Is there a number that you can finally say, “shit that’s a lot of people, we should close the door on immigration” ? Is there a number that satisfies you TB ? Or should we take in the entire world ?

Dead topic, pretty much. Nativism is losing.

2 Likes

We will find out in November.