The Next President of the United States: IV

I had a coworker say to me “her health is no issue at all! Was FDR’s health an issue?” To which I responded, “No. FDR dying in office was no big deal” (with obvious sarcasm).

2 Likes

Right? And FDR was a 3 time incumbent, so arguably much less of a deal for him since he seemed almost immortal (lets ignore the whole small war thing for just a moment).

Besides which, and more importantly, they didn’t get to make his disability an issue in the elections because it was carefully hidden, iron brace and all, and they didn’t have the Internet and 24/7 news cycles to find it out either.

I think we all need to take just a moment to relax from the seriousness of this topic.

4 Likes

Zeb, stick around. Clearly some people know more than others here, which is why I like this forum, I learn a lot from those who know more. Honestly this election is so squirrelly, I don’t think anyone can accurately predict what will happen. Let’s just have fun with this since the election resembles a circus at this point.

We are a week from the first debate, what I would give to see a bird fly out of that nest on Trump’s head and Hillary have another coughing fit.

2 Likes

The problem is that the fact that they’re here illegally is not what is being debated. You can slap them with the illegal immigrant title and then it’s more or less open season to hurl whatever insult or fault any number of societies struggles on the demographic, think they’re bringing drugs, they’re bringing crime, they’re rapists. It boils down to the matter that all these arguments being levied against illegals are just as easily applied to legal immigrants from the same region. If the topic was centered around the legal status of “undocumented immigrants” or the necessity for increased boarder control it would be a much more boring conversation

Also I happen to have lived my whole life in Socal as well, the problem isn’t that we have so many immigrants, it’s that we have such an extensive nanny state that the addition of any individual is a drain on our society…

Have you seen the voter guide for this November election ? It’s 224 pages long. Just lol.

Lol for the general no, Jesus though I cant imagine how filling a few check boxes can be too difficult. Revisa la caja can only take so much paper.

To be honest I was just pissed when I found out we now have a “Jungle Primary” and are now stuck choosing between Kamala Harris and Lorreta Sanchez for Senate. The stranglehold that the Democratic party has put this states politics is just ludicrous and borderline corrupt.

1 Like

You’re missing my point. Max has every right to complain, sure. But he lives in CA, and the politics are not going to swing his way, ever.

So, as a realist, he has two choices - remain and complain, or vote with his feet and go live in a place with more like minded people.

So, if immigrants of all stripes are bringing the quality of life down as much as Max says it is, why stick around?

You are 100% correct. I have trained or trained with almost every NATO specialized unit and they think we are absolute morons allowing illegal, unknown masses to flood our country. And that’s NATO, the Israelis just look at you in pure wonderment of your stupidity:))

4 Likes

What worries me more are the unfunded pensions, a recent article pegged the cost at $450 Billion and it’s only climbing…

[We know, with fair accuracy, how much money flows into and out of those trust funds now and into the reasonably predictable future, as well as the current value of their investment portfolios.

What we don’t know is what those investments in stocks, bonds, real estate and hedge funds will earn in the future. And while there’s no way to precisely predict those earnings, the assumption of how investments will fare determines the size of the pension debt.

For many years, the California Public Employees’ Retirement System and other state and local pension systems have assumed earnings, technically called the “discount rate,” in the 7.5 percent to 8 percent range, and they seemed to be generally on target.

With that assumption, California’s unfunded pension liabilities – the gap between what the funds expect to have and what retirees will be owed – are roughly $450 billion.

That’s a big number, but investment earnings have stumbled in the last couple of years. CalPERS gained 2.4 percent in 2014-15 and a minuscule 0.6 percent in 2015-16. That generally was the experience of other California and national systems as well.

Were pension fund overseers to drop their discount rates to the 4 percent range, roughly the rate private corporate systems use, California’s unfunded liabilities would probably surpass $1 trillion.]

This is scary, Max.

If you really think about it; pensions were (are) a retirement vehicle built on a very shaky foundation of terrible assumptions. That is also one reason (among many) that they have pretty much been eliminated in the Private sector.

Are these systems that will ultimately be “bailed out” in some way, placing greater burdens no the taxpayer?

For those who know; aren’t pensions only existing now for Public, State and Federal retirees?

What a time bomb this all is.

1 Like

Can’t illegal invaders vote in California now? Disgraceful

Maybe a t-cell alpha inspired tribunal is in order heh heh

My prediction : when the welfare state collapses (and it will) welfare recipients will raze every major American city.