T Nation

The Next Chapter: Powerlifter to Supersoldier

Well, here we are. My name is Luke Baumgartner and I am 18 years old. For the last 14 months, I have competed and trained in powerlifting under the guidance of Ed Coan at Quads Gym. Now that I am finished with competing for the time being, I am focusing my attention on preparing to become an infantry officer in the U.S. Army. Currently, I am a senior in high school and plan on attending the University of North Georgia and participating in the Corps of Cadets as well as the Georgia National Guard during my time there.

This log will entail the training that I do leading up to what is called FROG week, which is basically a 5-day “boot camp” that all of the incoming freshmen have to complete in order to gain admittance into the corps of cadets.

Here’s some stats:

Height: 5’6.5"
Weight: 191 lbs.
Bodyfat: 14%

Gym Lifts

Squat: 385 lbs. X 2
Bench: 310 lbs. X 2
Deadlift: 400 lbs. X 2

Competition Lifts*

Squat: 363 lbs.
Bench: 281 lbs.
Deadlift: 419 lbs.

*All completed raw.

During my second day at FROG week, I have to take the APFT (Army Physical Fitness Test), which consists of a 2 minute push-up test, 2 minute sit-up test, and a timed 2 mile run. My goals for the test are 80 push-ups, 80 sit-ups, and a 14:24 2 mile run, which would give me a 280 (out of 300). Eventually, by the end of my freshman year, I would like to achieve a perfect 300.

My training program will consist of 4 days of lifting following Joe DeFranco’s Westside for Skinny Bastards: Part III and 3 days of running, using the Couch to 5k and 5k to 10k programs. At the conclusion of these programs, I will hopefully be running a 10k (6.4 miles) in less than 60 minutes.

Well, now you know what to expect. I’ll be running a preliminary APFT some time this week to see where I currently am. Hope y’all enjoy what is in store.

CS

14 April 2013 - Zero Day

Initial Measurements
Body weight - 189.7 lbs.
Right calf - 16"
Left calf - 16"
Right quad - 25.25"
Left quad - 25.125"
Right bicep - 16"
Left bicep - 16.25"
Right forearm - 12.375"
Left forearm - 12.5"
Shoulders - 52"
Chest - 43"
Neck - 17"
Waist - 33"
Hips - 35"

A.M.

Ruck March
Distance - 1.72 miles
Time - 30:00

Push-ups
4 X 20 X BW

Notes: 1 minute of rest in between each set.

Sit-ups
4 X 20 X BW

Notes: 1 minute of rest in between each set.

Summary: This morning was the first day of my new training program. I took my initial measurements as soon as a I got up and then I went and did my ruck march. The march was a bit challenging because I have never done it before, but I’m sure that I will adapt fairly quickly. I’ll be heading over to my new gym to complete my max effort upper body day.

CS

14 April 2013 - Max Effort Upper Body Day

Warm-up

1. Stretching
  2. Shoulder tractioning
  3. PVC roll back

Incline Bench Press
2 X 10 X 45
1 X 5 X 95
2 X 5 X 135
1 X 5 X 185
1 X 5 X 205

Flat Dumbbell Bench Press
2 X 20 X 55s

Dumbbell Row/Reverse Dumbbell Flies Superset
4 X 12 X 75/4 X 12 X 10s

Dumbbell Shrugs
4 X 12 X 55s

Notes: 1 second squeeze at the top.

Barbell Curls
4 X 12 X 45

Summary: This was a tough workout to get through. I was dying by the time I was half-way through the superset of rows and reverse flies. I began my workout in the CrossFit area of the gym because I could use chalk over there. I saw a few guys doing some cool stuff over there and the more and more that I thought about it, I kept contemplating starting CrossFit. I’m still undecided at this point, but I’ll have to stop in on a class and see what goes on.

CS

I’m making the switch to CrossFit. That is all.

CS

follow your heart and remember to have fun with it man!