The Next 1000 Pound Deadlift?

[quote]bignate wrote:
k i thought we where gonna have to an internet fight! lol thanks for the fucking link to a wikipedia definition of sarcasm lol[/quote]

Well I wasn’t sure if you’d know what it was.

That was me being sarcastic. See my previous post for a linked definition to wiki! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Calves are support and stabilization.

Muscle size means nothing in and of itself, but muscle strength is directly proportional to the cross sectional area of the actual muscle.

Now there are certainly other factors, alot of other factors.

But generally speaking a big muscle is stronger than a small muscle.

And strong calves are critical in both strength and sport.

You ever seen a guy squat 500 with chicken leg calves ? never happen, you need them for support.[/quote]

Also for Kevin Nee strong calves can help in some of the walking , draging, moving events for strong men. like the truck pull

Seen it a few times. I have bigger calves than most powerlifters I know and I’m not a powerful man. I can only deduce that you’re wrong.

[quote]Westclock wrote:

You ever seen a guy squat 500 with chicken leg calves ? never happen, you need them for support.[/quote]

My calves are nothing really, many fitness trainees have better, yet I have squatted just over 500lbs unequipped and 600lbs equipped. So I guess it’s happened LOL!

Nothing wrong with strong or big calves but personally for me they are unwanted weight.

[quote]IainK wrote:
Westclock wrote:

You ever seen a guy squat 500 with chicken leg calves ? never happen, you need them for support.

My calves are nothing really, many fitness trainees have better, yet I have squatted just over 500lbs unequipped and 600lbs equipped. So I guess it’s happened LOL!

Nothing wrong with strong or big calves but personally for me they are unwanted weight.
[/quote]

I’m thinking since calf size is largely genetic, they are indeed strong but just not very large compared to the thigh?

[quote]Westclock wrote:

Muscle size means nothing in and of itself, but muscle strength is directly proportional to the cross sectional area of the actual muscle.

Now there are certainly other factors, alot of other factors.

But generally speaking a big muscle is stronger than a small muscle.

And strong calves are critical in both strength and sport.

As you can see, it’s clearly hindering Kevin Nee.

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
IainK wrote:
Westclock wrote:

You ever seen a guy squat 500 with chicken leg calves ? never happen, you need them for support.

I’m thinking since calf size is largely genetic, they are indeed strong but just not very large compared to the thigh?[/quote]

YAY common sense!

Big calves arn’t really a high priorty… If they grow from truck pulls, squats, drags, etc. Good. If not I doubt any top strongmen are loosing sleep over it.

Maybe a bit off topic but I was reading an article in PowerliftingUSA this weekend by a guy who used to train with Doyle Kenady. His best in competition I believe was 904 but in the article the author claims to have witnessed Kenady lift an incredible 1003 in traing although there he adds there was a slight hitch at the top.

I wasn’t sure at first what to make of it but as any powerlifter can tell you your back is not exactly 100% after you’ve maxed out on squats and benches. I think it’s possible if he was fresh.

I wonder what Bolton could hit if he did a deadlift only meet or just took token squat and bench. When he hit the 1003 I believe he squatted kind of light but benched a PR.

I think Garry Frank in top shape could maybe do 1000 if he started fresh.

Man I feel so weak now. =[

I’m thinking since calf size is largely genetic, they are indeed strong but just not very large compared to the thigh?[/quote]

Ahhh… yes, that is probably true!

[quote]IainK wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

I’m thinking since calf size is largely genetic, they are indeed strong but just not very large compared to the thigh?

[/quote]

ha, I have the opposite problem, my forearms won’t grow, and my calves are naturally large.

IainK wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

ha, I have the opposite problem, my forearms won’t grow, and my calves are naturally large.[/quote]

weird usually people with big claves, have big ankles which means they usually have big wrists which means generally big forearms-the possibility of big forearms- I’m in that category, have very large ankles and wrists and both my forearms and calves are large naturally before I even lifted.

Konstantinovs - “Deadlift on the box 10cm
300kg(660lb)-9 reps Raw ,no belt
119kg BW”