The New Rules of Lifting

[quote]BCpowder wrote:
Very good reading–Schuler and Cosgrove present the information in a very easy to understand and a very logical manner. Some people might say it is too basic or it is the same stuff repeated over again. But I think even an advacned lifter can learn a thing or two from this, and it only takes a day or two to read.

I have not tried the workouts yet, but I will probably try one of the Hypertrophy workouts with undulating periodization. But even if you don’t use the exact workouts, you can always learn a few things about how Alwyn sets up the workouts, how he picks exercises, and the set/rep schemes he uses which will help you design your own workouts.

I highly recommend this book, especially if you are a beginner. It will definitely get you started in the right direction if you are new to lifting. If not, you’ll still pick up some good ideas.[/quote]

EXACTLY! I don’t know why everyone gets upset over my opinion. It’s a great book with a lot of good info. I’m going to use it to tailor my own program.

Booooooooooo… I ordered mine off Amazon.ca and it still has not gotten to me in the mail yet… Picked it up in a bookstore and I liked how it has a nice layman’s infomral style to read.

If any of you still need proof that Allwin is English and not Scottish, just refer to the language in which this book was written.

[quote]JOG wrote:
If any of you still need proof that Allwin is English and not Scottish, just refer to the language in which this book was written.[/quote]

What are you talking about?

It was written/edited by Lou Schuler with the workout portion of the book coming from Alwyn.

[quote]
JOG wrote:
If any of you still need proof that Allwin is English and not Scottish, just refer to the language in which this book was written.

Nate Dogg wrote:

It was written/edited by Lou Schuler with the workout portion of the book coming from Alwyn.[/quote]

Your cerebral density is amazing.

Ok then, in which language was the “workout portion” written?

[quote]JOG wrote:

JOG wrote:

Nate Dogg wrote:

It was written/edited by Lou Schuler with the workout portion of the book coming from Alwyn.

Your cerebral density is amazing.

Ok then, in which language was the “workout portion” written?[/quote]

I see what you’re trying to say now. Of course he’s Scottish! And the book is written in English! Duh! :wink:

Just picked this book up yesterday along with my Eng. IV Hnrs summer reading books (hey, if I have to read dracula and oedipus cycle, ya damn right I’m gonna get something as a treat :D).

So far, I’m on chapter 4. I like it so far. I flipped to the workouts real quick to see what they consist of, and they’re really neat. Periodization up the wazoo, big compound lifts, good stuff indeed.

I love Lou Schulers style of writing and Alwyns programs are nice and structured but simple (although, oddly, they’re in split format as opposed to full body, which I thought he hated). Well worth the 25 I paid for at borders though so far…:slight_smile:

Just out of curiousity, what language do you think is the primarly language in Ireland and Scotland???

[quote]wressler125 wrote:

JOG wrote:

Just out of curiousity, what language do you think is the primarly language in Ireland and Scotland???
[/quote]

Everyone knows that it’s French, and that’s scientific fact!

[quote]CU AeroStallion wrote:
wressler125 wrote:

JOG wrote:

Everyone knows that it’s French, and that’s scientific fact![/quote]
Don’t the Scottish and Irish at least win wars and stuff though? hehehe!

It’s a good book. I like the way Schouler writes but Alwyn always has to make his programs so damn scientifically perfect it kinda turns me off to them. They seem boring. I’m a bodybuilder - I don’t need “functional strength”. This doesn’t mean I’m not strong in the weight room, it just means I don’t use those stupid balls.

Good read overall.

I just finished reading this book today. Schuler has a great style of writing and makes for a smooth read. I even laughed a couple times, something unexpected from a fitness book.

I will warn that if you’ve been reading T-mag from the beginning you probably won’t pick up too much new material, but the authors do a great job of condensing all that knowledge into a few hundred pages. I cannot imagine a better book than this for beginner and intermediate lifters.

Cosgrove’s workouts look good, but not necessarily better than any of the hundreds of workouts you can find on here. Overall though, it’s definitely worth the price.

[quote]JOG wrote:
If any of you still need proof that Allwin is English and not Scottish, just refer to the language in which this book was written.[/quote]

Which means what? So you’re saying Alwyn is not scottish? One, why does it make a difference, two, don’t you think he’s learned english by now, and three, um, there are jobs for people called editors.

[quote]PGJ wrote:
I keep reading programs and to me it looks a lot like basic Weider principles of 3 sets of 10-12 reps, but with some unusual exercises. I did that type of program for many years and wasted a lot of time. [/quote]

One, then you didn’t read the book and two, if 3 sets of 10 didn’t work for you, you didn’t work too hard.

[quote]big69penisman wrote:
JOG wrote:

Which means what? So you’re saying Alwyn is not scottish? One, why does it make a difference, two, don’t you think he’s learned english by now, and three, um, there are jobs for people called editors. [/quote]

He’s learned English by now ?? HA HA HA !!

They speak English in Scotland. He just hasn’t learned American yet?

[quote]GhostOfYourMind wrote:
Just picked this book up yesterday along with my Eng. IV Hnrs summer reading books (hey, if I have to read dracula and oedipus cycle, ya damn right I’m gonna get something as a treat :D).

So far, I’m on chapter 4. I like it so far. I flipped to the workouts real quick to see what they consist of, and they’re really neat. Periodization up the wazoo, big compound lifts, good stuff indeed.

I love Lou Schulers style of writing and Alwyns programs are nice and structured but simple (although, oddly, they’re in split format as opposed to full body, which I thought he hated). Well worth the 25 I paid for at borders though so far…:-)[/quote]

Finished the book. Good stuff on the whole. I knew most of it, but some tidbits were new. For the most part, this book appeals to me due to the use of periodization (something I have trouble just planning out and setting up).

The only thing I’m confused on is progression? Maybe I missed that part some how, but still a bit fuzzy on that. Maybe I’ll mosey on over to Alwyn’s locker room and see what’s up.

Anybody put any of the workouts in Excel yet?

[quote]bulldogtraining wrote:
Anybody put any of the workouts in Excel yet?[/quote]

I don’t think we would be doing a service to Alwyn by putting up workouts from his copyrighted book, especially since he is a contributor to this site.

NROL is excellent. I recommend it to anyone and everyone. Pick up a copy.

Has Alwyn posted/created a recent Locker Room thread lately? I need to ask him a question about progression, and I don’t know if my PM went through.