T Nation

The New Rules of Lifting

I did a search about this book, but there were only about 3 threads with about 4 posts each. Anyway, saw this book at the store with a T-Nation.com endorsement on the back. Anyone using the program? Looks interesting, but somewhat confusing. Any tips?

The author is T-Nations Alywn Cosgrove his website is alywncosgrove.com also go to his author section, he hasn't been on much but you can read a few of his old posts.

Go here...

Lou Schuler answers regularly and Alwyn when he can.

The book is excellent! One of the best books I have ever read about training. I highly recommend it to anyone new to training, or someone with a few years of experience but who may not be making good gains.

The information is second-to-none, the workouts are very well-structured, and it shows you how to put the workouts all together for an entire year's worth of training depending on your current level and goals.

I only disagreed with one thing in the whole book, and that was the information about water intake. I believe you need a lot more water than what is recommended in the book (I like JB's guidelines). Other than that, everything else is right on.

Although I'm not following the workouts (I'm using Renegade Training), I am very impressed with how Alwyn put this book together. I gave this book to my brother (and kept a signed copy to myself), and he loves it! He told me how much he has learned and that his workouts are going very well.

Definitely pick it up, even if only adding it to your library. I liked this book much better than others written for a similar crowd (i.e. The Book of Muscle by Schuler and Ian King).

I am in the middle of reading it right now. I love it! It is so well written. At times it is actually very funny. I have not gotten to the workouts yet, but I bet Alwyn put in serious time making them. Like Nate said, this is a great book to add to the library.

I liked the idea behind the book, but some of the exercises are, in my opinion, a little goofy. The Bulgarian one leg lunge with shoulder press, the pelvic thrust thing on the swiss ball, t-pushups...I don't know. I was thinking of using the principles in the book, but substitute the goofy exercises for something a little more...manly. I do like the way it plans the phases for an entire year.

So you think that Cosgrove's exercises are goofy and are not manly enough?

Ditto the positive reviews. I bought it, read it, and bought two more copies for gifts to family members.

Um...yes. I didn't say they looked easy, I just said they didn't look like guy exercises. I'm sure they will kick my ass, but then there are probably other exercises that would probably do the same. Come on, all those pelvic thrusts? When's the last time you saw a guy do that?

Yes, it probably works. Ever see that commercial where the guys are tearing into a pizza and the one dude starts wiping up the grease off the top while the other guys look at him like "WTF?". Would you go to the gym and right in front of everyone put your feet up on a swiss ball then press your crotch into the air?

Only if I was naked.

Well...yes, of course. But most gyms make you wear pants.

I have my own gym at my house so I do not have that problem.

The exercise you are citing is called the SHELC and if performed correctly should look nothing like you describe.

It is a hamstring and core building exercise.

Here is the exercise description:

"SHELC stands for supine hip extension with leg curl. It is one of only two exercises that target both functions of the hamstring ? hip extension and knee flexion ? simultaneously. Lie on the floor with your calves on the ball, arms out to your sides with your palms face up. Extend up from the hips until your body forms a straight line with your feet-hips-shoulders. Keeping the hips elevated, draw the ball towards you by
bending your knees. The hips should remain in line with the shoulders and knees. Slowly straighten the legs, and then lower the hips to the starting position."

It's a very good book. I have to try any of the workouts, but they look very well put together and will keep you busy for a long time. It's great for someone with experience because it has a lot of neat little tips and tricks, and also great for a new guy who wants to start lifting because the information is very simple and easy to follow and it dispells the bodybuilding-rag myths that new lifters tend to fall into.

I keep reading programs and to me it looks a lot like basic Weider principles of 3 sets of 10-12 reps, but with some unusual exercises. I did that type of program for many years and wasted a lot of time.

You must have been reading something seriously wrong. All the programs in the book are based on undulating periodization with 3 or 4 set/rep schemes. 3x10 may be one of them, but there is also 4x10, 6x4, 4x8, 3x12, 5x5, 2x20 etc. The strength programs are different, using wave loading like Poliquin's 6/1 and a 3/2/1.

I just don't get it, man. You're not going to do a move because you think it looks "lady like"? That's not a good reason in my opinion. If you want to make that hip movement more "manly" put a plate over your waist, then execute the movement.

My copy is in the mail.

And I can't wait to rip that bad boy open!

OK, I've never replied to a thread before. But, in this case I just had. I've been working out for about 2 years now (and lurking on T-Nation for about the same time). After reading this book I've realized why I am not making the gains I wanted - I wasn't really putting in the effort required. I did the first program in the book and it kicked my ass! And that was just the break-in program! I can't recommend the book enough - girly exercises and all.

I bought this book last week after finishing Cosgrove's Afterburn program.

The workouts are awesome.

You have to read the entire book before reviewing the workouts.

PGJ just makes himself look clueless.

There is no way he would respond the way he is if he actually read the book cover to cover.

Very good reading--Schuler and Cosgrove present the information in a very easy to understand and a very logical manner. Some people might say it is too basic or it is the same stuff repeated over again. But I think even an advacned lifter can learn a thing or two from this, and it only takes a day or two to read.

I have not tried the workouts yet, but I will probably try one of the Hypertrophy workouts with undulating periodization. But even if you don't use the exact workouts, you can always learn a few things about how Alwyn sets up the workouts, how he picks exercises, and the set/rep schemes he uses which will help you design your own workouts.

I highly recommend this book, especially if you are a beginner. It will definitely get you started in the right direction if you are new to lifting. If not, you'll still pick up some good ideas.