The New Me

Nice progress Blaze. What are you doing to further your bulk?

Nice job.

[quote]BodyBldgBabe wrote:
Nice progress Blaze. What are you doing to further your bulk?

[/quote]
Thanks,
I’m getting about 3000-3500 calories daily, 100+g protein(not including whey), drinking at least half a gallon of milk daily, and doing squats and deadlifts, something oh so rare in today’s lifters. My bulking is slowing a little, due to the fact track started and i’m doing 3+miles daily, but i’m still gaining weight. Normally i lose about 6 pounds over track season, so i have to fight for every pound. I average about 7 hours of sleep a night, 10:30-5:30(have to lift at 6), so that’s not a problem. The only thing i could really do to increase the bulk would be up the calories, but it’s hard to have the time to eat that much with school, lifting, and track. Thinking of starting to eat cans of tuna as snacks…

Ok, need some advice here. Our football team gets together every seven weeks, and does a series of physical tests. One is the bench press test-how many times you can bench 135. I got eight that time, though i got nine twice today and a week ago got ten. Basically, i want to hit 20 or as close to it as i can in a month and a half. I’m not sure if i want to…
A)work on 20 rep max, starting at 100 adding 5lbs per week. OR
B) Do 135 to failure 3x with 2 min breaks.

Which do you think is more likely to succeed?

get your bench to 225lbs and you’ll hit 30 reps on 135lbs
do 6 x 6 @ 155lbs

Blaze, either of your suggestions is good. If you want to get better at benching 135, bench 135. Instead of taking 2 minute breaks, take 5 minutes. Mix up the reps, 1 time, do 20 reps, next go heavy, 5 or 6 reps, then do the 135 again to failure. Train 3 times/week at each rep range. You’ll make it.

I would just keep getting stronger in the bench press. It’s just like if you’re trying to increase pull up number. Doing bodyweight pullups will take forever, but if you add weight and get stronger, once you drop back down, bodyweight is really easy.

[quote]ZeusNathan wrote:
get your bench to 225lbs and you’ll hit 30 reps on 135lbs
do 6 x 6 @ 155lbs [/quote]

Hah. not sure if i can do 155x6 even once. My max atm is 175. I could probably get at least one set. we’ll see. ATM i’m planning on doing those two workouts i posted. Maybe i’ll throw that in once a week.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Blaze, either of your suggestions is good. If you want to get better at benching 135, bench 135. Instead of taking 2 minute breaks, take 5 minutes. Mix up the reps, 1 time, do 20 reps, next go heavy, 5 or 6 reps, then do the 135 again to failure. Train 3 times/week at each rep range. You’ll make it.[/quote]

Ok stu, thanks. I’ll try that routine. I was planning on switching it up a little, i.e. yesterday i did 1x20 w/ 100lbs, then 2x failure w/ 135.

[quote]ravell wrote:
I would just keep getting stronger in the bench press. It’s just like if you’re trying to increase pull up number. Doing bodyweight pullups will take forever, but if you add weight and get stronger, once you drop back down, bodyweight is really easy.
[/quote]

obviously, i want to get stronger on my bench press. I’m half training for endurance here, just to get plates more times. I’m sure my max will rise as a result as well. Thanks for the input

Had a really good bench day today, did 135x10, still had some in the tank too. Then i did 105x20, so either i’m making progress or my body was in good shape today. I suppose we’ll see.

[quote]stuward wrote:
Blaze, either of your suggestions is good. If you want to get better at benching 135, bench 135. Instead of taking 2 minute breaks, take 5 minutes. Mix up the reps, 1 time, do 20 reps, next go heavy, 5 or 6 reps, then do the 135 again to failure. Train 3 times/week at each rep range. You’ll make it.[/quote]

I don’t know if this came across right. Instead of “Train 3 times/week at each rep range.” I meant “Train 3 times/week, once at each rep range.” So for example, Monday, 3 sets of 20, limited rest between sets, Wednesday, 3 sets @ 135 to failure, 5 min between sets, Friday, ramped 5x5, rest as needed.

ok, thanks stu. I’ll focus on sticking to one rep range per session. didn’t get to lift today, gym was closed and we had to take the ACT. tomorrow-heading in at 5:40am. lol.

great progress, if you aren’t too afraid of adding some bf you could probably up your cals even a bit more, extra carbohydrates and maybe 3% more BF would really help your strength and muscle gain. your body type can obviously shed fat fast so you are at a great advantage.

Yeah, I might do that over the summer. I’m gonna be on a roofing crew, so fast food will be my diet every day anyway (with milk not soda). I’ll work on that.

Why does fast food have to be your diet ? Just because the rest of your crew will be stopping at 7-11, and mcdonalds doesnt mean you have to. Bring a lunch box with pb’j’s and plenty of bannanas

haha true enough. I’ll keep that advice in mind, for sure.

you might need some fast food during the day to keep any calories up if you’re roofing. try some extra protein shakes too. I’m guessing your boss wont want you skipping out for meals every 2 hrs but it’s easy to chug a quick shake.
eating peanut butter and bananas can get old real quick

yeah, also another valid point. I have a couple tubs of whey i can mix in with my milks during work. I’m only 17, so due to liability i’ll just be working ground crew, so it will take all of 7 seconds to make and drink a shake.