The New Layer System

Hi Coach,

The new layer system is cool, and I fully intend on giving it a try. Now, I realise how annoying it is for a coach when you lay out the template for a full program and anticipate every question, but I do have one i you don’t mind?

The problem is the new gym I’m using doesn’t have racks where I could do the isometric hold at the start, so I’m thinking maybe just an isometric hold? Like I could walk out 120% of my max for a front squat and hold it for a little while?

If it’s a stupid idea feel free to tear me a new one.

Thanks

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Hi Coach,

The new layer system is cool, and I fully intend on giving it a try. Now, I realise how annoying it is for a coach when you lay out the template for a full program and anticipate every question, but I do have one i you don’t mind?

The problem is the new gym I’m using doesn’t have racks where I could do the isometric hold at the start, so I’m thinking maybe just an isometric hold? Like I could walk out 120% of my max for a front squat and hold it for a little while?

Thanks[/quote]

That’s exactly what I would do in that situation too… hold for 6-9 seconds

Hey Thibs,

For someone NOT looking to grow their traps (female), would snatch-grip RDLs be suitable for the 4th and 5th layers of a SGHP day?

Thanks for the article. Looking forward to your book collaboration with Paul Carter!

@CT,

How would you layer the snatch deadlift or a deadlift?

Thank you

Hi Thibs…I’ve had great results over the years using your original layers system and the many cool variants of it you have put together.
Lately I’ve been having awesome results following your loaded stretch protocol too. ESPECIALLY for calves, both soleus and gastrocs. So a huge thank you for that!
Q: could we include loaded stretches in there somewhere or is that overkill? Maybe on the last set or two of the mTor sets?
Thanks again!
-Pete

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]Yogi wrote:
Hi Coach,

Thanks[/quote]

That’s exactly what I would do in that situation too… hold for 6-9 seconds[/quote]

that’s great, thank you

[quote]JHollywood wrote:
Hey Thibs,

For someone NOT looking to grow their traps (female), would snatch-grip RDLs be suitable for the 4th and 5th layers of a SGHP day?

Thanks for the article. Looking forward to your book collaboration with Paul Carter![/quote]

Yes that would be acceptable but never go all the way down to the floor.

CT have you tried applying this layer system to the Chinese row?

[quote]D.E.N.N.I.S wrote:
CT have you tried applying this layer system to the Chinese row?[/quote]

Funny you ask since I just told someone on twitter to use the chiese row if he wanted to do a layer for a pull movement

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
@CT,

Thank you[/quote]

I wouldn’t

Coach, I just want to say thanks to you for putting this program together. I have been doing the GF factor workouts for about 5 weeks and have had good results…not the same results I had with the different versions of the Layer System over past few years but still good. After asking you in another post about heavy lifts and GF workouts I started to begin each workout by ramping to a 3, 2 or even a 1RM with my main lift for the day and then moving on to the complexes and kinda using the first complex as a cluster OR an HDL set, and then completing the rest of the complexes using the GF method. After completing a workout like this yesterday for Chest, I see your new article and couldn’t have been happier. You truly are a Master at this. Thanks again.

Hey Coach,
quick question: What’s your opinion on combining the 3rd and 4th Layer into one as outlined in your Max Growth Cluster Sets article?

greets

[quote]lams wrote:
Hey Coach,
quick question: What’s your opinion on combining the 3rd and 4th Layer into one as outlined in your Max Growth Cluster Sets article?

greets[/quote]

I don’t like it in the scope of this program. You would actually have to go VERY light on the negative reps, lighter then the last layer (constant tension) which screws up the program. If it were a better option I would have used it instead of the format presented in the article.

Can you make list of exercises, which will work with New Layer System?

Hello!
Is there a rest time between the layers (1-5), if so how long?

Thank you!

[quote]Sven-Andreas wrote:
Hello!
Is there a rest time between the layers (1-5), if so how long?

Thank you![/quote]

Not really… same as between other sets.

Coach has a quick question whether you think it’s OK to transition to this after a fat loss program or if it’s too intense (have been doing body weight and kettle bell swings only) but with aim to get a lean base

Also could squat be changed for trap bar? Remember you being a fan of the movement previously

Thanks as always for your contributions

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
@CT,

Thank you[/quote]

I wouldn’t[/quote]
CT,

I’m assuming this also rules out the dead-squat. Is that right?

[quote]Anthony50 wrote:

[quote]nickj_777 wrote:
@CT,

Thank you[/quote]

I wouldn’t[/quote]
CT,

I’m assuming this also rules out the dead-squat. Is that right?[/quote]

Actually the deadsquat is fine because it’s more of a squat pattern and you can do a proper eccentric on it

What angle is preferred for the incline bench press in this program? Thank you.