The New Faces Of Meth

In case there is any confusion, in both cases I found a METHOD and a CATALYST to facilitate the recovery. I would welcome PMs about this but we don’t get to do PMs anymore and all discussion of this fact is suppressed, so if this message does not disappear and anyone would like for me to elaborate, please let me know, I’ll be happy to do so.

[quote]Cortes wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:

[quote]dirtman wrote:

[quote]harrypotter wrote:
I have no sympathy for these people.

The only thing that irritates me is my tax money being spent on drug rehab programs and for what? The ones with multiple mug shots are know to the police and by the looks of things have been arrested and bailed.

Fuck them.[/quote]

I am one of those people that went to rehab. It does work if you want it too. Thanks for your tax dollars :)[/quote]

Drug rehab or home rehab, you will fail both if you dont have the will power and determination to see it through.

Here in the UK drug rehab for repeat offenders waste so much money. Money which can be spent elsewhere.[/quote]

This is not true. Recovering from addiction has absolutely nothing to do with willpower. In fact, often the people with the greatest degree of willpower are the ones least able to escape from addiction.

Recovery is achiever via a radical change in self-perception. This is the ONLY way that an addict will ever become a non-addict. Recovery happens in a moment, but sometimes that moment must be combined with the appropriate reaction to take advantage of and maximize it.

I have personally recovered from alcoholism. Like, I come from a family of drunks, was an incorrigible alcoholic myself, and about three years ago I completely cured myself of the addiction. As in, I did not quit. I did not cut back. I changed, wholly and completely. I now have a very occasional drink of beer or good bourbon, and have not been drunk in that entire time because I no longer have any desire to be in that state. I also cured myself of a more than a pack a day addiction to cigarettes in a very similar fashion.

On topic, I used quite a number of drugs, soft and hard, in my younger years, including my share of crystal meth. Anyone who has used “good” meth one time does not have any trouble understanding how certain people became this way.

The Faces of Meth thing I found about a week ago and I agree, it is about as powerful a deterrent as I can imagine. [/quote]

That is surprising.

See, I did my fair share of downright idiotic stuff, but hard drugs never were a part of it.

Which just goes to show that vices are about evenly distributed among people and you better stick to those you can deal with.

Also, those pictures are … fuck no, this drug is bad, mmmmmkay?

[quote]Abedd Ame wrote:
I’m glad it worked out for dirtman. I hope others who experience the misfortune of addiction will also experience successful rehab before it’s too late.

I’m cool with my tax dollars paying for someone’s rehab because paying taxes for incarceration sucks, paying taxes for court systems to continually process the same cases sucks, paying taxes for child protective services to intervene in the same cases sucks, and paying for more and more and more police to respond to broken home/domestic violence issues sucks. Moreover, I’m cool with the state taking my neighbor’s and fellow American’s tax dollars to pay for someone else’s rehab, too.

It can be a matter of sympathy but it doesn’t have to be. It’s a matter of understanding that their problems are community problems. And, they don’t evaporate because you didn’t cause them. [/quote]

Great post!

[quote]Cortes wrote:
In case there is any confusion, in both cases I found a METHOD and a CATALYST to facilitate the recovery. I would welcome PMs about this but we don’t get to do PMs anymore and all discussion of this fact is suppressed, so if this message does not disappear and anyone would like for me to elaborate, please let me know, I’ll be happy to do so. [/quote]

I dont think they have made up their minds yet.

It really is downright idiotic though, because we have sneaky, shifty channels like email, yes email, which work like PMs, but are uncontrollable.

If there is one thing TN cannot be its controlling and petty.

The optimist in me is looking for the bright side of meth.

[quote]SteelyD wrote:
The optimist in me is looking for the bright side of meth.

[/quote]

If that is the bright side, I dont care to see the dark side.

I became addicted to the first cigarette I inhaled so I learned to tread carefully around anything remotely addictive after that. My experience with that one cigarette told me a lot about how people get hooked on stupid shit they have no business touching if they have more than two brain cells to rub together. But it has nothing to do with brains–it has to do with recklessness, depression, self-destructiveness etc. You can’t look at it within the realm of logic and expect it to make sense. Because it doesn’t. Unless you are in the same frame of mind as a soon to be addict.

Of course that also comes from lots of experience with addicts as friends and family members.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Abedd Ame wrote:
I’m glad it worked out for dirtman. I hope others who experience the misfortune of addiction will also experience successful rehab before it’s too late.

I’m cool with my tax dollars paying for someone’s rehab because paying taxes for incarceration sucks, paying taxes for court systems to continually process the same cases sucks, paying taxes for child protective services to intervene in the same cases sucks, and paying for more and more and more police to respond to broken home/domestic violence issues sucks. Moreover, I’m cool with the state taking my neighbor’s and fellow American’s tax dollars to pay for someone else’s rehab, too.

It can be a matter of sympathy but it doesn’t have to be. It’s a matter of understanding that their problems are community problems. And, they don’t evaporate because you didn’t cause them. [/quote]

Great post!
[/quote]

Not really, because there are so many assumptions in there that are flat out wrong.

First, its not either or.

A world where drug users are not incarcerated and where he could put his time and money to good use by helping those who actually want help is perfectly imaginable.

Second, its totally hip that he wants his tax dollars to go a certain way, but that is not what this is about.

He is totally cool with other peoples money going there, which will be extracted at gunpoint and people who are not down with it have a choice of either being locked up in a cage like an animal or be shot which is soooooooo not cool that words fail me.

Cause with people who are tooootally cool with stuff like that, there is a gun in the room.

Always.

And someone who points a gun at me is not my friend.

Nooooooo, he really is not.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Abedd Ame wrote:

Great post!
[/quote]

Not really, because there are so many assumptions in there that are flat out wrong.

A world where drug users are not incarcerated and where he could put his time and money to good use by helping those who actually want help is perfectly imaginable.

Second, its totally hip that he wants his tax dollars to go a certain way, but that is not what this is about.

He is totally cool with other peoples money going there, which will be extracted at gunpoint and people who are not down with it have a choice of either being locked up in a cage like an animal or be shot which is soooooooo not cool that words fail me.

Cause with people who are tooootally cool with stuff like that, there is a gun in the room.

Always.

[/quote]

No. It was a great post.

[quote]debraD wrote:
I became addicted to the first cigarette I inhaled so I learned to tread carefully around anything remotely addictive after that. My experience with that one cigarette told me a lot about how people get hooked on stupid shit they have no business touching if they have more than two brain cells to rub together. But it has nothing to do with brains–it has to do with recklessness, depression, self-destructiveness etc. You can’t look at it within the realm of logic and expect it to make sense. Because it doesn’t. Unless you are in the same frame of mind as a soon to be addict.

Of course that also comes from lots of experience with addicts as friends and family members.

[/quote]

Yeah, if there is one thing I ever was hooked on its nicotine.

No, I was hooked on nicotine.

Alcohol, meh, weed, meh, nicotine, holyfuckingshit.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you remember the moment you became addicted?

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]Abedd Ame wrote:

Great post!
[/quote]

Always.

[/quote]

No. It was a great post.[/quote]

Fluffing up your biases does not make a great post.

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you remember the moment you became addicted? [/quote]

No, but I do remember that I came off of a decade of sleep apnoea, most likely more.

I have tests from that time and I had no stress hormones in my body whatsoever.

Now, one might think that there would be no stress if there were no stress hormones, but one would be wrong, you simply have no way of dealing with it.

What sweet, sweet nicotine did for me was mimick stress hormones.

I am not dissing nicotine either, because waking up at 1 in the morning in utter panic because of stupid shit because you have no functional stress response is no joke.

Does not change that I was hooked badly.

On the other hand I know someone who was hooked on heroin and he says that anyone who does not shit in his bed when the withdrawal comes has no idea what he is talking about, so, I am open to the idea that it might not have been that bad.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Do you remember the moment you became addicted? [/quote]

No, but I do remember that I came off of a decade of sleep apnoea, most likely more.

I have tests from that time and I had no stress hormones in my body whatsoever.

Now, one might think that there would be no stress if there were no stress hormones, but one would be wrong, you simply have no way of dealing with it.

What sweet, sweet nicotine did for me was mimick stress hormones.

I am not dissing nicotine either, because waking up at 1 in the morning in utter panic because of stupid shit because you have no functional stress response is no joke.

Does not change that I was hooked badly.

On the other hand I know someone who was hooked on heroin and he says that anyone who does not shit in his bed when the withdrawal comes has no idea what he is talking about, so, I am open to the idea that it might not have been that bad.[/quote]

I’ve always believed there was a strong link between stress and nicotine addiction (probably other addictions too but my only real experience is with nicotine.)

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I’ve ever done though. And I think I am pretty strong willed and disciplined.

[quote]debraD wrote:

Quitting smoking is the hardest thing I’ve ever done though. And I think I am pretty strong willed and disciplined.
[/quote]

I think that self assessment is accurate and yes, when it comes to kicking a habit that does not necessarily help you, in fact, it can stand in your way.

I did meth once and it felt like manic depression on steroids shoved into a 16 hour time frame. I was going from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows. And I was extremely agitated and pissed off the whole time. I was also vomiting every 20 minutes or so the first couple or so hours after taking it.

It was so awful I never wanted to even touch the stuff again.

I’ve only tried cigarettes while drunk and it just made me light headed, dizzy, naseated, and even through up. It also made my allergies go haywire for the entire next day.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:

[/quote]

I think that self assessment is accurate and yes, when it comes to kicking a habit that does not necessarily help you, in fact, it can stand in your way.

[/quote]

I have quit some major bad habits and smoking was the hardest. This sounds so dumb but those who have been there can vouch for it. It was my love for iron that showed me how to kick it. I know it sounds cheesey and stuff but its true. Iron has shown me lots and that one is a biggie in my life.

Its been 17 years since my last rec. drug high and its been 5 years since I quit smoking. I can’t remember the last time I had a drink. Point is addictions can be conquered with the right tools.

Speaking of addictions, I just made kahlula for the first time tonight.

Coffee, sugar and alcohol.

The Internet is such a wonderful, evil place.

[quote]Christine wrote:

The Internet is such a wonderful, evil place.[/quote]

First I was like “kahlula” and then I remembered that it was what is called a “Schenkelspreitzer”
meaning a thigh opener.

German really is an ugly language, sounds a lot like barking.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]Christine wrote:

The Internet is such a wonderful, evil place.[/quote]

First I was like “kahlula” and then I remembered that it was what is called a “Schenkelspreitzer”
meaning a thigh opener.

German really is an ugly language, sounds a lot like barking. [/quote]

Yeah, I didn’t even use as much alcohol as the recipe called for.

Of course it is grain alcohol, so it doesn’t take much to start barking or opening thighs.