T Nation

The New Cosmos Series

I found it weird that nobody have mentioned it. So I decided to start the ball rolling regarding this spectacular show.

Here is the first episode of both the old and the New Version:

I think the New Cosmos cant compete With the old, mainly because of two Things in my opinion; The New Version lacks Sagens humanism and secondly the soundtrack of the old where billion upon billion times better.

What do the rest of you think of the New Version?

I watched the first few episodes then got bored. I’ve seen a lot better science shows/specials before. I feel like it’s meant for people that know nothing about science or how anything works.

[quote]strungoutboy21 wrote:
I watched the first few episodes then got bored. I’ve seen a lot better science shows/specials before. I feel like it’s meant for people that know nothing about science or how anything works.[/quote]

Same here. It seems meant for young teens.
But I still enjoy watching it anyway. DeGrasse Tyson is cool.

Definitely family oriented. I’m ok with that though. I love that stuff so it’s fun watching either way.

I think its a cool show I watch it with my 5yr old. All the cartoons and graphics make it visualy appealing IMO keeps your attention :slight_smile:

Fast & Loud was on the other Disc. channel and it was the episode with all of the crashes. Gas Monkey Garage won.

Through The Wormhole and all of their other cosmology shows are good though. I really don’t know anything on the subject but do find them interesting. Morgan Freeman narrating puts my son to sleep like nothing else, and that is golden.

Yeah through the wormhole is a pretty trippy show…Cool shit…
However my favorite nerd out show is ancient aliens on H2… All these shows do great with a joint and a bag of cool ranch doritos

I agree with other posters…it’s well-made, but if you’re learning a lot of new things from it and are over the age of 20 then maybe you’re not that into science in the first place.

They pretty much took the concept of “Big History” by professor David Christian and made a show out of it, dumbed it down and added a bunch of special effects. I’d like to see more “actual science” than that stupid time traveling space ship. But America is stupid and needs their entertainment, so spoon feeding it like this is probably appropriate.

I’d LOVE to see a show like this made for intelligent people.

For the record, I DO watch the show with my kids and it has stimulated some good conversation, so I think it does have value. I just wasn’t very impressed with the “entertainment/stupidity compensation” that was apparently necessary to get average people to watch it.

EDIT: also not impressed that no obvious credit was given to professor Christian who pioneered this idea and has been teaching it for years.

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
America is stupid and needs their entertainment, so spoon feeding it like this is probably appropriate.

I’d LOVE to see a show like this made for intelligent people.
[/quote]

x2

trying to get someone to watch (LOL @ reading) anything remotely info dense, or without some bullshit is nearly impossible.

It’s a neat show, but as others have said it really does seem to be a family show. It gets annoying seeing all the effects and him flying around in his pod. I still enjoy watching it though, no big complaints.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]angry chicken wrote:
America is stupid and needs their entertainment, so spoon feeding it like this is probably appropriate.

I’d LOVE to see a show like this made for intelligent people.
[/quote]

x2

trying to get someone to watch (LOL @ reading) anything remotely info dense, or without some bullshit is nearly impossible. [/quote]

No fancy bells and whistles, just a guy with some chalk and a shitty lecture hall video cam.

This ^ probably isn’t the greatest, but youtube has an assload of lectures and video coursework on just about anything in the known universe at this point.

I picked up Carl’s Cosmos book a month ago at a thrift shop and have been enjoying it. I’ve never seen either series, but everyone knows they’re made to get the average American interested in science. great criticisms here lol