T Nation

The New Batman

Anyone see The Machinist? Christian Bale is in it. He is the new Batman and the guy from American Psycho.

He lost 60 lbs. for the role and put it back on for Batman. Just saw the movie he looked like he was barely alive.

Yeah, bearly recognized him. The machinist was a good movie though.
If you liked it, you might want to check out Memento. It’s short-of made in the same stye.

You saw the movie? I thought it was not out until June 15? How was it overall?

equilibrium!!!

[quote]Watts wrote:
You saw the movie? I thought it was not out until June 15? How was it overall? [/quote]

He was talking about the Machinist I believe…Momento kicks ass.

christian bale is an excellent choice

this movie has LOADS of potential

but i refuse to learn too much information about it, or to have high expectations for it so that I can go to the theatre and be blown the fuck away.

I like how they’re really not advertising it heavily- it can definitely be a sleeper.

alls i know is that if bale as batman is as sweet as bale as john preston we’ll be in for a treat.

Check out “American Psycho” if you like Christian Bale…now THAT was a crazy movie…

[quote]DK wrote:
Check out “American Psycho” if you like Christian Bale…now THAT was a crazy movie…[/quote]

It was nothing compared to the book.
Watch equilibrium for Christian Bale on top of his game
There is only one batman and I’m sorry to say that it is Michael Keaton.

imo, bale was one of the only good things about american psycho, but that’s because i hate movies that glorify serial murder, psychosis, etc.

Christian Bale read for Batman while still in Machinist shape. Once cast he gained 60 pounds in 7 months.

Roided?

Sidebar: If I was asked to go from Equilibrium to The Machinist, I would cry.

[quote]T-chick wrote:

There is only one batman and I’m sorry to say that it is Michael Keaton.[/quote]

Adam West!!!

[quote]T-chick wrote:
It was nothing compared to the book.
Watch equilibrium for Christian Bale on top of his game
There is only one batman and I’m sorry to say that it is Michael Keaton.[/quote]

Correct!
He played it down to a tee. Had a good soundtrack too by prince before he went nuts and started squiggling everywhere. Still, the new batmobile looks pretty hefty. We’ll have to see.

[quote]dond1esel wrote:
Christian Bale read for Batman while still in Machinist shape. Once cast he gained 60 pounds in 7 months.

Roided?

Sidebar: If I was asked to go from Equilibrium to The Machinist, I would cry.[/quote]

Dont think you need roids to gain back the weight when you lost so much.

Keaton was the best of the movie Batmans. He is the only one that played Bruce Wayne correctly. i.e. bumbling guy who inherited his money.

Val Kilmer was the worst, he played Bruce Wayne just like Batman without a mask on.

I have hated them all since II, and I half hated that one. Batman is so wierd it takes a Tim Burton to really capture the insanity of Gotham.

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
imo, bale was one of the only good things about american psycho, but that’s because i hate movies that glorify serial murder, psychosis, etc.[/quote]

That movie was directed by a feminist, and her message was essentially how insecure men are. I haven’t read the book, but I’ve heard that A LOT of violence and misogyny did not make it into the movie.

10 minute preview of the new Batman movie is on the WB this Wednesday night, after Smallville.

[quote]zeropointzero wrote:
wufwugy wrote:
imo, bale was one of the only good things about american psycho, but that’s because i hate movies that glorify serial murder, psychosis, etc.

That movie was directed by a feminist, and her message was essentially how insecure men are. I haven’t read the book, but I’ve heard that A LOT of violence and misogyny did not make it into the movie.[/quote]

If you thought that movie was a glorification of violence then you didnt understand the point of the movie or the book.

One thing most people miss is firstly the violence is all imagined by the character, the real story if a critque of the life that drove him to that mental state.

The speach he gives in the begining of feeling nothing but contempt and lust was created by the materialistic and shallow life he was forced to live and the fake people he hung out with but really hated.

At least thats the take on the book I thought made the most sense.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:
zeropointzero wrote:
wufwugy wrote:

That movie was directed by a feminist, and her message was essentially how insecure men are. I haven’t read the book, but I’ve heard that A LOT of violence and misogyny did not make it into the movie.

If you thought that movie was a glorification of violence then you didnt understand the point of the movie or the book.

One thing most people miss is firstly the violence is all imagined by the character, the real story if a critque of the life that drove him to that mental state.

The speach he gives in the begining of feeling nothing but contempt and lust was created by the materialistic and shallow life he was forced to live and the fake people he hung out with but really hated.

At least thats the take on the book I thought made the most sense.
[/quote]

i haven’t read the book.

the movie indeed was a glorification of serial murder and psychotic behavior (not necessarily violence). the fact that in the end we find out that it was all in his mind is inconsequential because while we’re watching the movie we are viewing a murderous behavior that is uncontended.

the american psycho was the protagonist. just like mickey and mallory were the protagonists in natural born killers. this is what makes me sick.

on the other hand, i’ve heard that some people think american psycho is a parody. yeah, right.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
T-chick wrote:

There is only one batman and I’m sorry to say that it is Michael Keaton.

Adam West!!![/quote]

I stand corrected.