The Never-Too-Late Tattoo Parlor

Following.

Damn, look at that squat PR!!! You are a BEAST!

One of my favorite parts of my recent college reunion was getting up early and running down frat row in the cool and quiet. I can totally understand the addiction of running.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]Nadia Comeandeat wrote:
Also, I’m sorry snap. I can’t turn around in the rack. It feels weird.
[/quote]
No worries. I’ve just never seen anyone walk the weight forward to squat and then have to blindly walk backwards to rack it. It’s the safety issue that concerns me. Also, you’ll need to learn to unrack and walk it backwards when you do a PLing meet. And you really should.
[/quote]

I’m actually racking backward because my squat rack is too high and I’m stepping up onto an aerobic step to get depth. It’s totally unsustainable and unsafe in the long run, but ok for lighter training I guess.

Hi 2busy. Thanks for stopping in. Really sorry to hear that you aren’t able to run…injury?

[/quote]

Plantar Faciitus.

Have been trying on and off to restart, but life and other injuries have prevented consistency.

Your PR looked great! Yay for you!

[quote]arachne12 wrote:
I’m actually racking backward because my squat rack is too high and I’m stepping up onto an aerobic step to get depth. It’s totally unsustainable and unsafe in the long run, but ok for lighter training I guess.
[/quote]
That is insane. I didn’t know you were still doing that. Why don’t you squat at a 24? They have good cages.

Beautiful squat PR! WOW! And fun to hear your voice on that video. Such an infectious laugh! Now this is going to sound dumb apparently, but I NEVER use the clips. How did you dump them benching? I never worry about it.

Cal: I guess I’ve never “run” a full marathon. I’ve finished every one I entered, but I have to run/walk the last 10k. I’m not sure why I can’t push through. But, my inability to master that distance keeps me intrigued by it.

Thanks JM!

Lula: Thanks for the encouragement with the press. Sometimes I get my shoulders forward and my hips up, but then I nearly faceplant. I need to get stronger still. I haven’t decided on my bar routine. I quit competitive gymnastics in 1984–so the wide set era is entirely new to me–and it scares me. I haven’t decided if I’m going to adapt or go old school–think close set bars, beats, raps and eagles. With respect to my no dismount exception, the gym I practice at doesn’t have a pit, and I don’t have a spotter, and I’m chicken. But, I should be able to do a fly away; you’re right. Eeek.

Cbear: Thanks for the advice. I see what you’re saying, and I will try to implement!

Snap: Your thumbs up means a lot. Thanks. I’ll probably try a power lifting meet one day. I had planned to watch one this weekend, but I’m slammed at work. It’s on my to do list.

Thanks Frenchie!

Hi Bear, thanks for following.

Kimba: I love running for the quiet, guilt free alone time outside in the fresh air, breathing, sweating, moving. Ahh.

Arachne: I can’t picture what you’re doing, but it doesn’t sound ideal. Squats are tough enough!

2busy: Injuries suck. And some do take a long time to come back from. HOpe yours gets sorted soon.

Puff: The dumping happened because I wasn’t pressing the weight up evenly (think teeter totter) so the weights slid off one side of the bar. I will use clips from now on. You should too!

[quote]ManfromMass wrote:
Good squatting…no doubts on the depth.

How come us fathers always get the blame…?[/quote]

I believe it is a matter of functions. Input sperm; output miracle. Advantage mother.

I believe it is a matter of functions. Input sperm; output miracle. Advantage mother. [/quote]

OK, I’ll give you that one…

Nice picture…it seems like a million years since mine were that little.

wow that was an awesome squat PR! very nice indeed.

Awesome PR for sure!
When I went for some powerlifting training they didnt bother with clips either. I always do tho, I am super paranoid. I would think it would be easy to mess up your back if the plates shifted or fell off?

An old-school bar routine would be a riot! I have to say, I’m not sorry I missed those days of gymnastics, it looks oh so painful. I don’t blame you on being hesitant with the fly-away. No spotter/pit could be downright dangerous–and from what I see you generally enjoy being able to use your legs so…

cute little babe there!

Manfrommass: How old are your children now? Me–I can’t figure out where the time went. How are they so big now?

Thanks Alexus!

Coyote: I think you’re right about the risk to the back–I definitely felt my core working to stabilize. I got lucky I think.

Lula: Maybe I will go old school. I’ll see if it is still possible to bring the bars in that close tomorrow. I wonder if I can still do an eagle?

++++++++

Training;

I was supposed to do pullups and MP today, but I chickened out. Stress levels from work (amicus brief deadline )and home (my dad’s unwell) are wearing on me. I didn’t have the heart for pullups; those really take some fortitude. So, I benched again.

5-3-1 bench

Bench:

barx10
65x8
80x5
90x3
100x5

Heavy singles

110x1
115x1
117.5x miss I thought I had it. The negative felt good anyway. Maybe next time.

ROws
barx10; 65x8; 85x8x3

Bagged BBB sets. And everything else. Promising myself I will foam roll and stretch before bed.

I believe it is a matter of functions. Input sperm; output miracle. Advantage mother. [/quote]

OK, I’ll give you that one…

Nice picture…it seems like a million years since mine were that little.[/quote]

Great picture, Nadia! Those are the best moments!

My youngest is 3. My oldest is 21.

Congrats on the squat PR.
I told you that your squats are awesome.

Nice benching as well.

I didn’t open this log for a long time because I thought it was a log started to show off tattoos. I don’t have a tattoo, so I just would skip it to focus my time looking at training logs. Definitely a huge mistake on my part.

Nice work you’re doing! Your squat PR is great and depth was right on! And I totally dig the new summer training partners.

[quote]kpsnap wrote:

[quote]arachne12 wrote:
[/quote]
That is insane. I didn’t know you were still doing that. Why don’t you squat at a 24? They have good cages.[/quote]

IknowIknow. But sometimes, I’m in the office for half a day and my crappy gym is 1.5 minutes from my office… It just seems like it’s better to get it done, even at the cost of stepping up to squat.

I just caught up here, great squat.

love the training partners.

and that tiny baby pic- where they ever 7lbs???

2busy: Wow you are busy! Nice.

Nikki: I should have listened. I’m feeling better about squats at the same time I’m realizing what I don’t like about them. They’re more subjective than the other lifts. Bench–touch chest and press–success. DL- stand up straight. Squat? When do you hit the breaks and throw it into reverse. Every squat is a little different–some deep, some not so deep, some really deep. That inconsistent feeling is what keeps me on edge with them. I guess I just need to do more and create a more fixed motor pattern.

Sbmart: Glad curiousity get the better of you. The-Never-Too-Late Tattoo parlor is a line from a poem I like called Missed Chances. I actually don’t have any tattoos either.

Arachne, I hear you. You don’t give a shit. Cobra’s, lions, and squats. “Oh it runs backwards.”

KMCNYC: Thanks. That tiny baby was tiny. Just under 5 lbs. And now at 8, his feet are bigger than mine.
++++++++++++

Training:

Gymnastics yesterday. Having bailed on my pullups on Tuesday and having skipped out on bench BBB, I went in to the gym feeling strong. But, my stint on the bars was cut short because I ripped both of my hands. And my time tumbling was cut short because my old ankles started to complain. But, I felt a little bit of power in my movements. And that feeling of feeling strong, damn, it feels good.

Turned in a draft of my amicus brief to the chief defender y’day–hopefully, it don’t suck. or if it does suck I hope it swallows.

And my dad got a “it’s not your heart diagnosis” today, which is good. He had a heart attack when I was 15, and has been managing that problem for 25 years now. And there is always something. And most recenly that always something has been compicated by RA and thyroid problems. I wish I could wish him well.

Sounds like your stress is lowering, oui?
Glad you got that amicus brief deadline done. And your father’s heart is well.
I don’t know what “ripped your hands” means, so I think I’ll wait for clarification before I finish evaluating your stress meter =)

With the squats, the depth is just that thing that can happen with any lift. You just don’t get in that groove. You don’t want to go ass-to-grass or you don’t want to be mediocore and settle for parallel. It’s probably just another mental thing.

Keeping you updated on my running progress:
3/4 mile in 6:18.
I was so proud because I didn’t stop once. My endurance is improving.
Next week I’ll try running a full mile.
Starting off slow.