T Nation

The Mirror Lies to You

^^hahaha good advice! And they’re just kinda funny lookin so not only would you look big but you’d always be laughing and in a good mood

I also noticed that if you are looking at a pic and you flip it horizontally it also looks quite different. When I paint or draw and I can’t quite pinpoint what is wrong or lacking, I sometimes look at it behind me with a a hand mirror and it becomes obvious. taking a picture works too. I think you get too used to seeing something it becomes hard to decompose and analyze.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
My mirrors are broken, I believe.[/quote]

what use have the undead for mirrors?

[quote]debraD wrote:
. When I paint or draw and I can’t quite pinpoint what is wrong or lacking, I sometimes look at it behind me with a a hand mirror and it becomes obvious. [/quote]

I find this very interesting. Have you learned this or “Hey, I’ll look at a picture behind me with a mirror for fun” type deal?

[quote]Fuzzyapple wrote:

[quote]debraD wrote:
. When I paint or draw and I can’t quite pinpoint what is wrong or lacking, I sometimes look at it behind me with a a hand mirror and it becomes obvious. [/quote]

I find this very interesting. Have you learned this or “Hey, I’ll look at a picture behind me with a mirror for fun” type deal?[/quote]

I don’t really remember what made me do it the first time. I started doing it when I was in college and doing assignments for a painting class when I was terrified to take my assignments into class for critique and agonized and obsessed over them trying to make them worthy (self-portraits were especially stressful!) It seems so ridiculous now! But that mirror thing is pretty cool.

[quote]HERC410 wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:
My mirrors are broken, I believe.[/quote]

what use have the undead for mirrors?[/quote]

You know how you can see the meat at a butcher’s shop through the glass case? Well, mirrors are a lot like that. Humans stand in front of them and we decide if they looks delicious…or we masturbate depending…

So what happens if i take a picture of myself in the mirror?!?! Devastation

^^ I have a couple of pics in my profile that I took from the same place where I think I look better in the mirror. It seems to still work, taking into account that I’ve set the exposure darker.

[quote]gregron wrote:
Most of the time I think I look small. Then I’ll see pictures of myself or a glance in the mirror and think “Is that how I really look? I thought I was a lot smaller than that.” lol (not that I’m so hyooooooge or anything but to myself I look/am kinda small. Then I’ll see a picture or a mirror shot and I look much different)[/quote]

I think it’s because you get used to seeing yourself a certain way for so long that it sticks in your mind. I was REALLY thin growing up, and I’m not at all “big” now, but in my head I’m still the 160 pound wimp I was in high school and not the 210 pound wimp I am now. Pics surprise me sometimes.

[quote]Melvin Smiley wrote:

[quote]gregron wrote:
Most of the time I think I look small. Then I’ll see pictures of myself or a glance in the mirror and think “Is that how I really look? I thought I was a lot smaller than that.” lol (not that I’m so hyooooooge or anything but to myself I look/am kinda small. Then I’ll see a picture or a mirror shot and I look much different)[/quote]

I think it’s because you get used to seeing yourself a certain way for so long that it sticks in your mind. I was REALLY thin growing up, and I’m not at all “big” now, but in my head I’m still the 160 pound wimp I was in high school and not the 210 pound wimp I am now. Pics surprise me sometimes.[/quote]

Opposite effect for me. Given that I was under 140 at uni, that image sticks with me. So in comparison, now that I’m 40lb heavier, I get conned into thinking that I’m bigger than I actually am.

http://images.t-nation.com/forum_images/6/0/6055b_ORIG-Sarevok_in_armor.jpg

This is what i look like in the mirror

This is what i look like in pics