The Million Dollar Question...

[quote]bulldog24 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:
bulldog24 wrote:
If you train like some bodybuilders do (isolation movements, machines, high reps) with no strength base, you aren’t going to like the results

Who?

OP (thought this was obv). Didn’t know he’s 205 – would be helpful to see lift #s. Regardless, I don’t know what he meant by concentrating on flies, but they should not be the first or second movement. Decent finisher, but that’s it.[/quote]

No I meant who in the sense of what bodybuilders only use isolation movements on chest?

Also, and although I would never do this, I could make a valid argument that you could never bench press in your life and get a big chest using machines, such as the Hammerstrength, and other like plate loaded instruments.

Flat bench press, and lift like a powerlifter not like a bodybuilder. I found that If I tuck in my shoulder blades in, arc back slightly, and push with my feet inwards while lowering the bar just under my nipples (you get the idea), hypertrophy is likely to be achieved on the upper part of the chest. If you use a wider grip and place your shoulder place out, then hypertrophy is achieved on the lower part of the pec.

I say keep things simple. Just adopt a powerlifting way of lifting stuff when you can and just eat a ton.

Also recipe for a BIG chest is flat bench press then proceed on flat DB flies immediatley afterwards. Then perform 3 sets of push ups. If you don’t feel the pump and your chest doesn’t grow then you doing it wrong. Take minimum rest in between those sets. Just the time to put some weight on db flies and the time to sip some water right before performing push ups.

<—I got a big chest that way.

lol kidding but seriously, I do have a big chest. That’s the thing I been doing brah.

My 2 cents.

[quote]Bicep_craze wrote:
Flat bench press, and lift like a powerlifter not like a bodybuilder. I found that If I tuck in my shoulder blades in, arc back slightly, and push with my feet inwards while lowering the bar just under my nipples (you get the idea), hypertrophy is likely to be achieved on the upper part of the chest. If you use a wider grip and place your shoulder place out, then hypertrophy is achieved on the lower part of the pec.

I say keep things simple. Just adopt a powerlifting way of lifting stuff when you can and just eat a ton.

Also recipe for a BIG chest is flat bench press then proceed on flat DB flies immediatley afterwards. Then perform 3 sets of push ups. If you don’t feel the pump and your chest doesn’t grow then you doing it wrong. Take minimum rest in between those sets. Just the time to put some weight on db flies and the time to sip some water right before performing push ups.

<—I got a big chest that way.

lol kidding but seriously, I do have a big chest. That’s the thing I been doing brah.

My 2 cents.
[/quote]

If you want people to read your posts, you’re going to have to change that avatar… I can’t avert my eyes, and I tried.

HAHAHAHAH

Ah, so you pretty much bench your body weight for five reps. Right. As people have said there is no muscle there simply because you have not yet filled out your frame. Remember to train every part of the chest (upper,lower etc) but above all increase your overall size and strength too!

[quote]austin_bicep wrote:
No I meant who in the sense of what bodybuilders only use isolation movements on chest?
[/quote]

I never said that. You’re assuming that by using parenthesis that I meant “only” when I intended to mean emphasis. My point was that some, often advanced, bodybuilders have different demands and will utilize different routines than beginners/intermediates. Let’s not hijack this into a debate about how bodybuilders train – there seems to be consensus that the OP should get stronger. Flies and DB incline are ok, but are suboptimal choices for accomplishing what should be the primary goal.

[quote]skohcl wrote:
How do you get muscle to grow in that upper-inner area? As you can see from the pic attached, I ain’t got nothin’ up there, but was wondering if anyone else has been in my position and had success growing muscle up there later in their lifting career?[/quote]

Try some of this…

incline bench and milk

[quote]Artem wrote:
incline bench and milk[/quote]

I recently became lactose intolerant, otherwise I totally would. But I am eating a ton… Only bummer is I don’t really wanna’ be fatter than I already am… But yeah, appreciate all the body-filling advice, I’ll just keep plugging away and maybe update in a year or something…

[quote]bulldog24 wrote:
austin_bicep wrote:

I never said that. You’re assuming that by using parenthesis that I meant “only” when I intended to mean emphasis. My point was that some, often advanced, bodybuilders have different demands and will utilize different routines than beginners/intermediates. Let’s not hijack this into a debate about how bodybuilders train – there seems to be consensus that the OP should get stronger. Flies and DB incline are ok, but are suboptimal choices for accomplishing what should be the primary goal.[/quote]

Well you worded it like shit…But we’re all friends here ;).

[quote]skohcl wrote:
Artem wrote:
incline bench and milk

I recently became lactose intolerant, otherwise I totally would. But I am eating a ton… Only bummer is I don’t really wanna’ be fatter than I already am… But yeah, appreciate all the body-filling advice, I’ll just keep plugging away and maybe update in a year or something…[/quote]

‘Only bummer is I don’t really wanna’ be fatter than I already am…’

huh? aaah man that friggin fat phobia. bulk THEN cut. period. do a clean bulk y know. Eat from clean sources and that’s that.

[quote]skohcl wrote:
How do you get muscle to grow in that upper-inner area? As you can see from the pic attached, I ain’t got nothin’ up there, but was wondering if anyone else has been in my position and had success growing muscle up there later in their lifting career?[/quote]

Hai… incline… [ fill in the blank ] [ blank ] ~ ya benching 200+ incline or doing DBs at least 50-60+ incline…? You don’t look like you workout.

[quote]kinein wrote:
skohcl wrote:
How do you get muscle to grow in that upper-inner area? As you can see from the pic attached, I ain’t got nothin’ up there, but was wondering if anyone else has been in my position and had success growing muscle up there later in their lifting career?

Hai… incline… [ fill in the blank ] [ blank ] ~ ya benching 200+ incline or doing DBs at least 50-60+ incline…? You don’t look like you workout.
[/quote]

I do 65’s for 12 reps in DB incline… 45 degree…

And I took the pics to high-light the areas I want advice on, not trying to show off, looking for constructive criticism. I guess next time I get some pics I’ll get a pump and oil up for ya, lol.

lol. nice!

http://www.T-Nation.com/free_online_article//hss100_chest_specialization

Here is a chest training article!

Try varying the degrees on on the incline. Also if you can do 12 reps @ 65 why not raise the weight higher?

Eat eat eat ~

Yeah, I’m getting 300ish grams of protein a day, and plenty of carbs and good fats. I feel like a fat ass at around 15% bf though, so I might have to cut to below 10% and “try again” at my chest…

I’ve always tried to do less weight for higher reps, 12 being my “max”

But I think part of my problem with the inlines might be my shoulders coming too much into the movement, hence the lack of chest developement in that area, for the next couple months I’ll work more on form and really feeling the upper chest, dropping my shoulders back and puffing my chest up.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Nick