T Nation

The Merit of Quarter Squats

[quote]giterdone wrote:
Push, I like the supramaximal idea. I haven’t done that but I will. Kind of like swinging a bat with weight in the batter’s box.

I have done an Anderson setup as Skid mentioned and it works. Start with a weight higher than max on pins and progressively drop the pin height week by week. I do have to watch my knees though. As Push mentioned, I feel more knee strain with a high “squat” than a full squat.[/quote]

Breaking it off pins at the bottom of a squat will also feel heavier than starting at the top and squatting the weight to that depth. Breaking the inertia is a killer. It’s kind of the same way that dead lifts fry your body; the bar is totally dead with no stored kinetic energy. I’ve done them a lot in the past and find they’ve strengthened my legs quite a bit.

i used to do a box squat which is a quarter squat, but i got rid of it cuz it never helped

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:
giterdone wrote:
Push, I like the supramaximal idea. I haven’t done that but I will. Kind of like swinging a bat with weight in the batter’s box.

I have done an Anderson setup as Skid mentioned and it works. Start with a weight higher than max on pins and progressively drop the pin height week by week. I do have to watch my knees though. As Push mentioned, I feel more knee strain with a high “squat” than a full squat.

Breaking it off pins at the bottom of a squat will also feel heavier than starting at the top and squatting the weight to that depth. Breaking the inertia is a killer. It’s kind of the same way that dead lifts fry your body; the bar is totally dead with no stored kinetic energy. I’ve done them a lot in the past and find they’ve strengthened my legs quite a bit.[/quote]

Agreed. You setup, take a big breath and start pushing. Just like a deadlift, you start thinking “common you bitch start moving!” Once it breaks it goes up fine.

[quote]pushmepullme wrote:
I do power curtsies every once in a while when I’m bored. They are not squats.[/quote]

“Power curtsies”… I like that :wink:

Another take on these that I do once in awhile is to load the weight up (I usually add a plate more than I can squat), shoulder the weight (a la ‘walkouts’), but lower it 2 pins than where I shouldered the weight (maybe 5" down on the squat rack).

Take a rest, reset, then lift back to the original pin. Progress to the next lower pin(s) over time.